[HOW-TO] Enable Band 4 AWS on SM-N900V *REQUIRES ROOT*

William T Riker

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
This procedure requires root. I take no responsibility if you mess something up.

1. Enable access to ServiceMode by editing ("Open with Text Editor")

/efs/carrier/HiddenMenu file

with a program like Root Explorer, and changing it from OFF to ON (uppercase only). Reboot the phone.

2. Once the phone is rebooted, enter the dialer app and input

*#27663368378#
to enter ServiceMode

3. Select:
[2]UE SETTINGS & INFO,
then [1]SETTING, then select [2]SYSTEM, then [9]NEXT PAGE and then select [4]VZW LTEB4 ON/OFF and finally select [1]B4 ENABLE ()...It should change to [1]B4 ENABLE (*) with an asterisk. Reboot the phone.

AWS Band 4 should now be enabled for your Galaxy Note 3.

To force the Phone onto Band 4:
Enter ServiceMode, UE Setting > Settings > Protocol > NAS > Network Control > Band Selection > LTE Preference > B4. Do this at your own risk. When Band 4 is forced it is Data only, No voice. To switch back to automatic do the same thing, but choose Automatic instead of LTE Band Preference.

To view what band your Phone is operating on:
Enter ServiceMode, Protocol State > Basic Information .. it will show on the first line.

Attachments

• q6up.png
    q6up.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:

William T Riker

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
How do you enable the Service mode? I can't seem to find it on my Note 3 (N9005), thanks.

Dont know about N9005 but on SM-N900V it must be enabled first by using a root explorer to change

/efs/carrier/HiddenMenu

from OFF to ON before the codes will work in the dialer

Imarik81

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
My efs file is empty. That doesn't seem right. Also if I'm getting 50 down and 7 up what would be the benifits? To me those speedsseem great. Just curious. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
the 'reboot the phone' touch screen option in the band-selection doesn't reboot the phone for me.
Anyone else?
Doing a manual-reboot to see if the Band4 is now enabled still.

Update: rebooted the phone manually, checked state - shows LTE B4 Enabled, but I still have voice bars and data (3g in my job warehouse).
weird.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you usually get a 4g signal in your warehouse? Or, are others on the same carrier gettting one? Someone else with a Note 3 who's done this already would be ideal, but I'm sure I'm asking too much there.

marty212

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I can not disable band 4...in service mode I can click on disable but when I hit Restart phone nothing happens and when I manually restart it, band 4 remains enabled. Any ideas?

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I know this requires root.. so is Knox tripped on your devices? I want to do this but can't find a way to root without tripping Knox at this time.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I know this requires root.. so is Knox tripped on your devices? I want to do this but can't find a way to root without tripping Knox at this time.

Kingo was how i rooted, and doesn't trip Knox. Literally took me 15 minutes & i only touched the phone once. Easiest root method i've ever done (including my galaxy nexus).
As for if this tripped Knox, i'm uncertain

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Kingo was how i rooted, and doesn't trip Knox. Literally took me 15 minutes & i only touched the phone once. Easiest root method i've ever done (including my galaxy nexus).
As for if this tripped Knox, i'm uncertain
Ok. I can't root with Kingo at the current time. I will once they support MJE. Thanks!

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it again and it worked :) However, my 4band was already turned on :( Oh well. At least I have root now!

Glad you got it to work. If you used the method in the link, you didn't trip Knox, did you? To check, turn the phone off and press power, home, and volume down. This puts you in recovery mode. Look where it says Knox. If it says 0x0, you're good. If you can check and report back here, that would give people confidence in the method.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk