Question about voice call quality for those coming from a Note2

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As the title states, I'm asking about voice call quality between the Note3 and the Note2. I'm looking to buy either one for my mother who is a talker. I'll be going on voice call quality and price as she won't be using any of the other features (she currently has 4 downloaded apps installed on her current phone which is running AOSP... and is quite happy, but really wants an XL display).

Oh and please compare to the Note3 after the most recent update which supposedly fixed the garbling voice issue. Thanks!

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The call quality on the Note 2 was one of the best imo I had Motorola phones. Which at one time was consider having the best radios and call quality in some of their smartphones. I sold my Note 2 to buy the Note 3, I will say the voice quality on the Note 3 is a little under the Note 2. From a scale of 1-10 and 10 being the best I would rate the Note 2 a 9 and rate the Note 3 8 or 81/2 for voice quality. I received the update, however I never had the garble voice issue but according to others voice quality is better. One thing I would say the Note 3 is better to hold for talking on the phone than the Note 2. I'm 6'5 I like the way the Note 2 feels in my hand while talking on the phone compare to the Note 2. But you can always use a blue tooth!!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Before they update it was bad. After the update it is about the same on both phones

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I actually am seeing much better quality than the note 2. At least now that all the crackle is gone from the update.

MichaelNote3

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
This is a very subjective topic. I am a guitarist and if another guitar player comes on stage and uses my setup they sometimes change the eq and I do the same.

I did a side by side comparison (not my still distorted note 3) calling the same recorded message and to me the note 2 was ~30% more hifi sounding and definitely had more bass response. I could compensate some on the note 3 by using the Adaptive Sound. I wanted more bass and answered no on the first half of the process when it asks you if you can hear a low frequency. At the end of this process the frequency graph displayed boosted low frequencies and attenuated mid-highs and highs.

MichaelNote3

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
This is a very subjective topic. I am a guitarist and if another guitar player comes on stage and uses my setup they sometimes change the eq and I do the same.

I did a side by side comparison (not my still distorted note 3) calling the same recorded message and to me the note 2 was ~30% more hifi sounding and definitely had more bass response. I could compensate some on the note 3 by using the Adaptive Sound. I wanted more bass and answered no on the first half of the process when it asks you if you can hear a low frequency. At the end of this process the frequency graph displayed boosted low frequencies and attenuated mid-highs and highs.

I don't want to hijack the OP, but this is somewhat related. As I noted in my post above I am on my 6th note 3 and sometimes still get the pre Nov. 6th update electronic, distorted calls issue. Samsung and Verizon say they are aware the update did not fix all phones but they would not even give me a rumor as to if/when this issue will be resolved. They said that multi-carriers are still having this issue but I gather there is not a significant number of phones still affected or I would be able to get a more definitive answer. Are any of you still experiencing this issue?

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. It's what I wanted to know, call quality of the phone after the update. I'm hearing a lot about the same issues with the LG G2. Now rumors of that its the processor hardware issue. I may end up looking at the new One Max or old reliable Note 2 as I'm buying for my mother who actually uses her phone to talk and is already a little hard of hearing.