Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Default Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Battery Drain

Does anyone else seem to have an issue with the OS being the top App for battery drain? My phone has been unplugged for 1h 14min and lost 6%. The screen was on for 20min but the top app was the os at 20%. I know it doesn't sound like a lot right now since it was just unplugged but its been the top app even using other things on my phone. I can barely get 5 hours of screen time right now with the screen only 3/4 the way up. The note 2 turned all the way up would get 6 hours of screen time.

Default Re: Battery Drain

Hey homie they are saying that it's Google services is the culprit for the battery drain I Google it

GALAXY NOTE 3! NUFF SAID!
    death to iphone
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

What is the fix for it? The os taking half to as much as the screen is nuts.
    sheaviousdroid likes this.

They saying to turn off Google service or the up dates

GALAXY NOTE 3! NUFF SAID!
    death to iphone
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Well I reformatted my SD card and reset the phone. I re updated everything except some beep app thing cause I didn't know what it was lol. So far so good though. Battery life seems to be much improved. 7hr 27min unplugged with 1hr 25 min on screen time and 77% left. This is about what I would expect from the phone. Would be a rough estimate of 6hr on screen time. Not sure what was going on but hope it stays this way. Now if only WiFi wasn't so flaky with what it wanted to work with and how well.
    Thanked by:

I notice a change in battery life too all of a sudden and not like I stop all my apps from working in the back round...idkwtf the problem is but they gotta fix somthing

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

May have spoke too soon. I am at just under 3 hours on screen time with 43% left on battery. So that's pushing if I'm lucky 5 hours. Android OS is back to being second most draining at 14%. Hard to do since I been playing a 3D game a lot.

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

Google services is the culprit. Their is no fix it is a Google side issue that they must fix and it is unknown when it will be fixed or if it will be anytime soon. Doing a reset of your phone is a waste as it won't fix the root cause.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

If it is a Google service causing the issue on battery drain how are some people getting great battery life and not others? Ive read posts where other people have gotten battery life like I did on the note 2. Is the Google service causing the issue of Google Play not really wanting to load images and such too?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I give up on getting any decent battery life. I even went and swapped my note 3 just to be on the safe side it wasn't my device. I think this one may be even worse on the battery than the other one. I wish now I wouldn't have traded my note 2 for this. Almost feels like my old thunder bolt days. Bleh.

I am having this same problem since about four or five days ago. I usually had great batter life up that point, about 30+ hours on a charge, near seven hours of screen time.

The problem I see now is that whereas Android os used to be one of the gentle services from a battery drain stand point, it has now become the first one by a long shot. During the day things seem OK, but during the night, on pure standby, even with airplane mode on, I got 40% drain. I used to get 3% under the same conditions before...

I have the impression Google might have done something to a service for 4.4 that maybe misbehaves under 4.3?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Default Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Battery Drain

I don't know. Why wouldn't this problem affect all Verizon phones? This is my second Galaxy Note 3 phone (I dropped one of them). They both worked very well with battery life that lasts for well over a day with lots of use.

Posted via Android Central App
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I guess it all depends on points of view and what you are use to. I am use to the battery life I got when I used the Note 2. It was amazing and I was very pleased. I was expecting the same with the Note 3 at the same settings as I had with the Note 2. Maybe it doesn't affect all because of a bad few. It has been known to happen. However everyone has their own view on what is amazing battery life. Yours could last you over a day because the screen is completely dim and power saving is on etc. Either way, for the first complete charge with my replacement I had almost 5.5 hours of on screen time before it hit 5% left. Almost 21 hours unplugged. I guess I am not too disappointed. Although Android OS, the Kernel and media server are all three draining more battery than any other app I have been running.
    Thanked by:

How about index service? That's another battery drainer.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Never have had an issue with the indexing service. It hasn't even showed up. I do however believe that a lot of apps are not optimized for 4.3 or something. I unplugged and played Slotomania for like 10min and the battery dropped 4%. 50% of that along was the game running. Pretty big drop for a few min of play lol. At that rate my battery wouldn't last even 4 hours. The biggest three drainers usually I have seen are the Kernel, the System and Media Server. After that one of the games I may play show up. I am not sure about other OEM but it seems there are reports of huge battery drains on a lot of Samsung devices after being put on 4.3. It does not seem to be limited to the Note 3.

In my case, I am starting to think it could be related to applications I recently installed. I uninstalled a couple and seems like behaviour is going back to normal. Trial by fire tonight, hopefully it will go back to the usual 3-5% drain.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I have the same apps I had with the Note 2 so its nothing new there for me other than the extra bloat Samsung and Verizon added. I did a real brief search after my last post and it looks like a lot of people have this issue. The HTC one had/has it as well, so did the Moto X from the few posts I saw of it. I guess its something Google needs to get to work on or something it seems. Pretty bad though that it seems from 4.1.2 that the Note 2 is on to 4.3 for the Note 3 the OS got less efficient.

Ok, problem solved! I am on the International Note3, unlocked.

If it is of any use to anyone , I solved it after uninstalling Todoist. I think that app kept synching and the 0s awake for some reason . Anyways , problem gone . I am happily back to only 3% drain over night !

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Wish that was what was wrong with mine. I do not have that app. I unplugged mine this morning and in the first 10min it dropped 2% just due to the kernel and OS. The screen was not on or anything. Its ridiculous.

Well, I have the same problem. The issue was momentarily gone, but upon charging, the problem was back, 15% drain over night, even if most of that time wifi and mobile data are off. This is driving me nuts!

I was thinking of buying betterbatterystats, but then again, I have the feeling finding what is causing the problem will not change a thing.

The thing that bothers me most is that this didn't happen before, I enjoyed amazing battery life, and I LOVED IT. losing that for no reason and what looks like an Android problem is crap.

If anyone has any ideas, I will certainly appreciate reading them.

Funny, I keep trying things and have found that the problem often fixes itself after shutting down the phone and removing the battery briefly.

Once I do that, the Android os entry in the battery settings section is actually REDUCING the time awake figure... Every time I check, the time awake value is one or two minutes less...

Something is definitely not right here...

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I wish I had ideas. Everything everyone has ever said try doesnt work. WiFi is even flaky on this device. After a restart its all good but after a while it seems to get slower and slower. It even seems the graphics in some of the games i play get slower to where its stutter moving instead of being smooth. Shame since this is suppose to be a better video chip than older devices but yet the Note 2 moved so much smoother.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Battery Drain-screenshot_2013-12-02-07-08-28.jpgVerizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Battery Drain-screenshot_2013-12-02-07-09-11.jpg
    Here is what my battery stats look like. Its pretty bad considering after the time unplugged on the note 2 I would have well over 3 hours of on screen time, more close to 4, that what I'm getting out of the Note 3. I refuse to turn down settings that I didn't have to on an older device just to get more battery. I shouldn't have to compromise. I paid for a "better" device that was more updated and everything. That is what I expected to get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Battery Drain-screenshot_2013-12-02-07-08-28.jpg  

Those of you with no index problem, do you have an sd card? Did you copy anything on to your sd card from an outside source?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I have a 64gig SD card. If Memory serves I copied it to it through the data cable.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast