Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Car charger for Note 3

    I have a car charger (the charger has Input 12V - 24V, Output 5V 1A). When I plug the Note3 to the charger I see the small lightning icon inside the battery that tells me that the phone is charging. However, when the phone is on during the Map navigation, I can see that the battery still drains.

    Is it not possible to actually charge the phone using he car charger and it is normal for the battery still drain when the charger plugged in?
    Is there a charger that actually charges the phone in the car?
    What happens when the phone plugged in, but the battery ?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    You need a stronger charger. The GPS in my old phone would drain a phone charging at 1 amp. I purchased a 2 amp charger and it actually charges it while in use. I like the 2 amp chargers that have 2 usb ports, this way you could plug in 2 phones for charging or regular use, but many are shared ports so if you were running gps, you would only be able to power the single phone. I have also plugged in a usb extension cable and powered phones in use by those in the back seat on long trips.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Try a 1A car charger. GPS is a pig with power.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by GANote3 View Post
    Try a 1A car charger. GPS is a pig with power.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    He is already using a 1 Amp charger per his post, he needs to upgrade to a 2 Amp charger.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    I use a 3 amp Rocketfish charger I picked up at Best Buy. Works great.

    Car charger for Note 3-2013-11-27-09.32.27.jpg
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Nice 3 amp charger. I wish my 2 USB port charger would support 2 amp on both ports at the same time but mine shares the 2 amps between both ports. If I plug one item in I have a full 2 amps available, if I plug a second in it has to share the current between the two devices.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by SalixIncendium View Post
    I use a 3 amp Rocketfish charger I picked up at Best Buy. Works great.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-27 09.32.27.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	443.2 KB 
ID:	94162
    How long ago did you buy it. I checked the reviews on Best Buy and pretty much all of them say that it comes apart after couple of month.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by astroprojector View Post
    How long ago did you buy it. I checked the reviews on Best Buy and pretty much all of them say that it comes apart after couple of month.
    I've had it for about a month now and have used it daily until a few days ago when I purchased the spare battery charger. No problems so far.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    My note 2 charger copes with the note 3 running satnav and music, slowly charges it.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    My Verizon charger charges the phone while using the gps just fine.

    Rockin my Note 3
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    You either have a cheap charger (think gas station chargers), something's wrong with your phone (broken charging port/bad antenna/rogue apps etc), or poor reception.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by tippmann15 View Post
    You either have a cheap charger (think gas station chargers), something's wrong with your phone (broken charging port/bad antenna/rogue apps etc), or poor reception.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    OCRAP! Something is wrong with my phone too!

    ...OR it could be that that a 1 amp charger does not provide enough power to charge when running nav on a Note 3.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by SalixIncendium View Post
    OCRAP! Something is wrong with my phone too!

    ...OR it could be that that a 1 amp charger does not provide enough power to charge when running nav on a Note 3.
    Could be, which is why I typed in cheap gas station charger.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by tippmann15 View Post
    Could be, which is why I typed in cheap gas station charger.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Just because it's a 1 amp charger doesn't make it a "cheap gas station charger". There are plenty of quality 1 amp chargers out there from older technology (likely some in my house). It used to be that a 1 amp car charger was sufficient to charge a battery and use nav. Worked out fine for me Blackberry Style and Epic 4G. Today's smartphones have much larger batteries (Note 3 is nearly twice the mAh of the Epic) and suck down a lot more juice.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by astroprojector View Post
    I have a car charger (the charger has Input 12V - 24V, Output 5V 1A). When I plug the Note3 to the charger I see the small lightning icon inside the battery that tells me that the phone is charging. However, when the phone is on during the Map navigation, I can see that the battery still drains.

    Is it not possible to actually charge the phone using he car charger and it is normal for the battery still drain when the charger plugged in?
    Is there a charger that actually charges the phone in the car?
    What happens when the phone plugged in, but the battery ?
    When you plug it in under Settings/Battery does it say ##% (USB) or ##% (AC). If it says USB then it is only charging at 0.5mA. To charge in AC mode the two data pins must be shorted which signals the phone to charge at the higher current AC mode. If you use a 2.1 mA charger and a "charge only cable" (where the data pins are shorted) you will get the maximal current. Some car chargers come with cords that are AC mode with higher current already. I've used the below one and works.

    Amazon.com: Anker® 18W / 3.6A Dual Port USB Car Charger / portable Travel Charger rapid Charger with One Built-in Micro USB Cord for Android and One USB Port for Apple Devices Including iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, 4; iPad 5, Air, mini; ipod Touch, nano; Sa
    Car charger for Note 3-418ttwdngwl._sy100_.jpg

    I a haven't found any car charger that can rapid charge as fast as the OEM USB 3.0 charger that comes with the phone. I've tried this one that is supposed to but it contrary to the description only charges in USB mode and is worse than the above and essentially worthless:
    Amazon.com: 5V 2A Mini Car Charger + Coiled Micro USB 3.0 Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III SM-N9005 - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Car charger for Note 3-41h0o43viil.jpg
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by jim2112 View Post
    He is already using a 1 Amp charger per his post, he needs to upgrade to a 2 Amp charger.
    I meant a larger than 1A charger. Sorry

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Car charger for Note 3

    my charger is charge at home then take it anywhere 2A charge 3 times
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car charger for Note 3-imag0123.jpg  

Similar Threads

  1. Rooted note 2 apps cant connect to internet
    By Jdurbinnc in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 03:17 PM
  2. Best rom for s2 tmobile
    By angelisawesome in forum T-Mobile Galaxy S II
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-29-2013, 03:03 PM
  3. Best ultra slim case for N3
    By Dharma Jairam in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-27-2013, 11:18 AM
  4. Galaxy Note 8 live wallpaper v1.0.2
    By freethinkern freethinkern in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2013, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions