Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By missdorado26
  • 1 Post By Kelly Kearns
  • 2 Post By Kelly Kearns
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Factory reset undo software update?

So this is my 3rd note 3 as the others one didn't work. When this one was sent to me I was told to ignore the software update Bc that's what was causing all my problems on the last phones. The update reminder kept popping up and I accidently hit it and it updated it. I want to know if I do a factory reset on it will it go back to the old software without the update?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Default Re: Factory reset undo software update?

No you cannot go back and you should not go back. The update did not cause the issue with your previous phones. The update fixed some issues with the phone and by them telling you to not update shows that they do not have a clue. These are new phones and some issues are creaping up, but the update did fix some of those issues. You can find more useful help with phone issues on these forums than you can at the place where you puchased the phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If was a Verizon tech rep that said that. They said that Samsung is aware of the problems but have not come up with an update to fix the problem. I don't know if it's true but now it seems like my phones battery is draining again.

Denise Cahoon likes this.

I have dealt with verizon tech and some of them dont have a clue. As far as battery draining, it takes a few days for the battery to breakin. Also turn iff services that you do not need like gps. Only use gps when needed as it is a battery pig. Other things to check for are photo sync with your gmail account. There are also lists on these forums about bloatware ti turn off. One of those is caller name id.

How strong of a signal do you have. The weaker the signal the more juice the phone will use to send and receive dara.

Quote Originally Posted by missdorado26 View Post
    If was a Verizon tech rep that said that. They said that Samsung is aware of the problems but have not come up with an update to fix the problem. I don't know if it's true but now it seems like my phones battery is draining again.

I was on the update and was having trouble battery life also. I rooted and installed JellyBeans rom and my battery life literally went from 6 hours moderate use to 18

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

See my signal strength isn't great but since I've had this phone before the update the battery was OK.
    How do I root it? And what does that mean?

If you root, you can install various roms which are like a new operating system and it will also void your warranty when you root. I have not rooted my phone yet cause it has an issue im working through verizon on. Have you turned off the bloatware?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Sorry I am a new android user. What is bloatware?

It is things the manufacturer loads on to the phone tablet etc that most people do not want. The manufacturer usually received a fee for this. For example my magazine and flipboard are two of them but unfortunatley you can not turn them off. There are lists on the this forum of bloatware that you can turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by missdorado26 View Post
    Sorry I am a new android user. What is bloatware?

I really dislike my new update its killing my battery and my phone is acting up. I used to love my phone but now I'm just hoping I don't end up throwing it on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassy Nicole H View Post
    I really dislike my new update its killing my battery and my phone is acting up. I used to love my phone but now I'm just hoping I don't end up throwing it on the wall.
    Install battery doctor from the Google play store. I get 32 hours of battery power. No issues with kit kat update. Your phone just has too much open in the background!

sent from my Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cassy Nicole H View Post
    Try a factory reset to settle the software update on your phone. But make sure you backup everything on your phone. Make sure to sync all your accounts.

Posted via Android Central from Note 3

Watch your WiFi signal strength. That is one thing I have noticed is causing a serious battery drain when I'm at work. At home my battery does really good.

You need to do a cache wipe and reset, from the recovery boot, not the settings, anytime you update firmware.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3
    Spencerdl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    You need to do a cache wipe and reset, from the recovery boot, not the settings, anytime you update firmware.

Kelly, I don't know how to do a wipe and reset from the recovery boot. How do I find and do that?😞

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopiejoe View Post
    Kelly, I don't know how to do a wipe and reset from the recovery boot. How do I find and do that?😞

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"
    To boot into recovery, I turn my phone off, press volume up, power and home button at the same time and then you get a menu. You move up and down with the volume buttons, choose your option with the power button. You will see a partition cache choice and a reset. Wipe the cache first.

Spencerdl and Jalopiejoe like this.

To boot into recovery, I turn my phone off, press volume up, power and home button at the same time and then you get a menu. You move up and down with the volume buttons, choose your option with the power button. You will see a partition cache choice and a reset. Wipe the cache first.

This is EXACTLY what I did before I updated to KitKat. My Verizon Note3 is running exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I did before I updated to KitKat. My Verizon Note3 is running exceptional.
    I do it after, that cache wipe gets rid of any things "left over" from the previous firmware or apps you had at one time and deleted.

I do it after, that cache wipe gets rid of any things "left over" from the previous firmware or apps you had at one time and deleted.

Yes. I forgot to mention I also do it after the update and on a regular basis ( about once a week)

Yeah it is the first thing I do after an update. When I bought my N3, it had JB but the KK upgrade was just out. I upgraded before doing anything and still did the wipe and reset.

I posted my 11 steps before/during/after KitKat update, but forgot where I posted....LOL and I can't for the life of me remember in which thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    I posted my 11 steps before/during/after KitKat update, but forgot where I posted....LOL and I can't for the life of me remember in which thread.
    Even I don't do that much lol. If it isn't a new phone, I reset before and after the update.

I did the factory data reset thinking I might have missed something Kit Kat had to offer.
    Big mistake! !
    I lost my scrap book messed stuff up and I gained nothing.
    I was backed up to Kies, Verizon, Google etc.
    I'll never do that again!!
    I'M REALLY PISSED!

The Lolipop update is a terrible change visually and privacy-wise.

First of all it is hard to see text over the pastel background. This is a safety issue and it makes it harder to use the phone while driving or walking.

Second, now missed calls and text messages appear on the locked screen, so anyone....can see who texted me or called. STUPID with a capital STUPID.

And these upgrade cannot be rolled back easily without the danger of bricking your phone. Please tell me Google is not becoming General Motors.