Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Anyone Resolve low signal level with an exchange?

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been long awaiting getting a Note3, and finally purchased 2 of them today. We currently have a rezound, but we're ready to buy phones that have larger screens that don't hurt our eyes to view them. My bluetooth has always been defective on the rezound and it will not broadcast wifi from the foxfi app. The Note3 has about everything I want in a phone, but the 4G signal level seems very low at -101 dbm sitting next to my rezound which is reading -83 dbm in LTE, and this is in a very good signal area where I don't live. I want to keep this phone, but if the radio will not work in low signal area's I will have to return it like I did the Galaxy Nexus a few years ago. Has anyone exchanged their phone and had a better signal level?

If I can't get this resolved and have to choose another phone, any suggestions on a Note3 close runner up?

My criteria is a phone with a larger screen that does not hurt my eyes, works with pdanet foxfi, removable battery and sd memory, good reception in low signal area's. Would like the NFC and the Bluetooth 4 if possible too. I would like to activate google wallet on this one. The Note3 was exactly what I was looking for, if the reception would be better.

Edit: I traveled to the rural area I was worried about and it seems to hold a signal there. It is a lower signal, but a signal just the same. I will hang on to it for the 14 days and see how it performs. I want to keep it, and if it will work with a lower signal I may have to live with that to get all the other features it comes with.

Last edited:

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I do not think returning it and swapping will improve your signal strength. I think it is the way it is designed with antenna placement most likely. They stuffed this thing full for hardware and there when working in a small space to place everything there are tradeoffs. Remember the iphone issue of a couple of years ago with the antenna. It all has to do with where they place it in the phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be performing well even with the lower signal level

I am going to keep it for the 14 day period. The reception is not "Great" but it doesn't seem "Horrible" either. All in all, if it receives at a slightly lower level than some of the better performers, I will likely keep it since it has about every feature I want in a phone. It picked up at my home which is a low reception area. It had a low signal level, but it held it and my call quality was fine so if it continues to perform well at the lower level, it's still a keeper.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: It seems to be performing well even with the lower signal level

I am going to keep it for the 14 day period. The reception is not "Great" but it doesn't seem "Horrible" either. All in all, if it receives at a slightly lower level than some of the better performers, I will likely keep it since it has about every feature I want in a phone. It picked up at my home which is a low reception area. It had a low signal level, but it held it and my call quality was fine so if it continues to perform well at the lower level, it's still a keeper.

If you bought it on or after 11 /28, you can return until 1/15

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it . I find signal at least as good as my Razr Maxx hd, maybe a little better and Motorola is supposed to have the best signal strength.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
My GNote3 signal is only very slightly better than my GNex signal. I have a Moto X arriving on Tuesday and will compare the signal on all 3 phones at that time.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I go anywhere from 1 bar to 5 bars on LTE and sometimes my GN3 drops to 3G in my building but its a tough old brick building from the 1800's with a metal exterior that was put on in the last couple decades so its a signal killer.

RetNavy

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
My signal strength is horrible since the upgrade to MJE today. Its was never that good, but now I get 3g allot where I never got it before? Puzzled.

stevekgold

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Here's my mystery on n3 - in one area of about 1/4 mile (I need for work) I get 4 LTE bars and 86dbm but absolutely no phone service (data is ok). Other verizon customers get fine service. My wife's n3 has the same issue. Verizon can't figure it out. Any ideas?

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My signal strength is horrible since the upgrade to MJE today. Its was never that good, but now I get 3g allot where I never got it before? Puzzled.

I got the note 3 when it first came out and had to return it due to signal issues . after the MJE update I got it again and now im satisfied . it keeps as good a signal as my wifes resound and my old note 2 . im really loving this phone . I wonder it a factory reset would help you .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae