Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike M.
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Battery suddenly draining fast

During the first week or two of owning my Note 3 the battery life has been excellent, lasting up to two days at times. Now suddenly it's been draining really fast, about 4% per hour, due to cell standby, Android OS, and Phone Idle. I know what all three of these are, but the thing is I haven't had this issue during the first few weeks of owning this even while the phone was idle, so why this suddenly becomes an issue is beyond me.

2 weeks after phone purchase last month

What I get now

Default Re: Battery suddenly draining fast

How's your coverage? If I'm not mistaken, in the first picture you're on WiFi all the time, and the second one is not...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    How's your coverage? If I'm not mistaken, in the first picture you're on WiFi all the time, and the second one is not...
    I get good 4G coverage here, but I don't see how having WiFi on or not would affect cell standby, since you still get a reception for calls. If anything, I figured having wifi off would reduce battery usage.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Also here are some more screenshots of usage if this helps any

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
    I get good 4G coverage here, but I don't see how having WiFi on or not would affect cell standby, since you still get a reception for calls.
    It makes a big difference if the local network is good. Unfortunately, my local 4G sucks and so my battery gushes juice of I'm not in wifi.

At least for me anyway.

My signal has actually been getting better.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery suddenly draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1387254185480.jpg   Battery suddenly draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1387254205835.jpg  

Yup, it makes a HUGE difference if WiFi (with good signal) is being used, even for cell stand by, since the data goes through WiFi and not mobile data. Still it seems to be a big difference between the two to be just that... have you tried 'recalibrating' the battery?

Here's another thread about battery drain with additional solutions

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3266590

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Opps here is screen shot on my phone....I keep battery saver on...how do you have such a low screen drain

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery suddenly draining fast-1387305438536.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by hcane466 View Post
    Opps here is screen shot on my phone....I keep battery saver on...how do you have such a low screen drain

Wow, your screen is devouring battery power. Can you turn down the brightness and still be able to see the screen comfortably?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Turned brightness down to what's comfortable for me and best number I get now is 61% drain...any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by hcane466 View Post
    Turned brightness down to what's comfortable for me and best number I get now is 61% drain...any suggestions

How long has your phone been off the charger today so far?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

No long as I use it most of the day

It's easy Mike the first you're on wifi the entire time... The second you aren't.

Mobile data will drain more than wifi. Regardless of the cell signal.. The mobile data keep alive will use more.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Had it connected on wi-fi for most of the day on a full charge and no real difference. Still down ~50% in 12 hours like in the OP screenshot, even in power saving mode and auto brightness. Majority is still the top three listed in OP.
    sheaviousdroid likes this.

I was reading with my Note 8, that when the tablet starts to experience rapid battery loss, you hold down the power and volume up buttons simultaneously to restart the device which suppposedly flushes out all the bad stuff. Not sure if it works on the Note 3

I had a unusually high battery drain on my android os....turn of the notify when wifi is around button in wifi settings and cured problem instantly. ...now if I can find out what's causing my screen drain...All would be right

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by tech_fan View Post
    I was reading with my Note 8, that when the tablet starts to experience rapid battery loss, you hold down the power and volume up buttons simultaneously to restart the device which suppposedly flushes out all the bad stuff. Not sure if it works on the Note 3
    Doesn't seem to work with the Note 3.

Has anybody worked out what "normal" percentages should look like in usage over, say 12 hours or more? That would be helpful to know if one category or another might be out of whack.

It would need to be over a longer period to avoid abnormalities or unusual conditions.

Posted via Android Central App

guess I am the lucky one here i txt and email surf the web go into settings see what is in there and how to use it and I get 2 1/2 to 3 days on a charge guess this new user must be doing something right? now I shut down auto sync gmail and screen brightness is set as low as I can and it shows screen usage at 20%.

do you close out anything running as a new user I came across by accident if I hold power button at bottom it opens a window that closes all running apps or web pages so being a iPhone convert am guessing i am learning well??

try limiting anything like above even location services I shut that off if i need maps app i can enable it to use and then shut it down saving battery power. like I said I am new to note 3 and android period but this i have discovered has saved my battery big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Iphone View Post
    guess I am the lucky one here i txt and email surf the web go into settings see what is in there and how to use it and I get 2 1/2 to 3 days on a charge guess this new user must be doing something right? now I shut down auto sync gmail and screen brightness is set as low as I can and it shows screen usage at 20%.

do you close out anything running as a new user I came across by accident if I hold power button at bottom it opens a window that closes all running apps or web pages so being a iPhone convert am guessing i am learning well??

try limiting anything like above even location services I shut that off if i need maps app i can enable it to use and then shut it down saving battery power. like I said I am new to note 3 and android period but this i have discovered has saved my battery big time.
    If you're screen only shows 20%, that means you are not using the phone with the screen on very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
    Also here are some more screenshots of usage if this helps any

Actually judging by those pics, your mobile is not that great. The more green in the bar, the better. Yellow, gray, and red mean that signal is okay to terrible.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Hey everyone thought I'd give an update on this. For about a month and a half since I posted here battery life has improved again. However in the last few days suddenly the battery is draining fast again, often 5-8% per hour, due to "Android OS" with "cell standby" not too far behind. My settings are still the same like in OP, haven't changed them (other than keeping wifi on), and mobile signal is still strong for the most part. Could the S-view cover be causing this? Since I had gotten this last week and not long after that I started to see a big difference in battery life...