Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Central n ohios best
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switched from iPhone 5 to the Note 3

It's been three weeks and I love it. The first two weeks I had some doubt but know that I have figured how to use the phone I don't setting myself switching back. Thanks for all of the help in this forum.

I want to root, just haven't built up the confidence yet. Merry Christmas!!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Switched from iPhone 5 to the Note 3

Its kinda easier to root then it was years ago. Google motochopper and see if its compatible with your device. Literally took 2 min and a keystroke to root.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
    Thanked by:
    Dog5000 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,808 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Dowler View Post
    It's been three weeks and I love it. The first two weeks I had some doubt but know that I have figured how to use the phone I don't setting myself switching back. Thanks for all of the help in this forum.

Welcome to the forums.
    Merry Christmas to you too!
    As far as rooting goes, I would suggest to do this: Along with researching how to, also research how to unroot (always at least good to know how), and how to solve common problems, like boot loops etc.
    The reason I suggest the last one, is not that, say I don't want to help, far from it. But, which is better: encountering a problem and trying to fix it yourself, or encountering a problem, freaking out and rushing to the forums anxiously waiting for someone to respond?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Cool Re: Switched from iPhone 5 to the Note 3:

The best way to establish "ROOT" is with the newest version of "KINGO". Then install the latest "SAFE-STRAP" for recovery, i.e.g. backing up stock ROM. flashing new ROMs.
    Watch these videos first...
    Please do your research first before jumping in. Many have already soft-bricked thier N3 because they installed/flash MOD's that were for other carriers of the Note 3 ;-(
    I will suggest getting to know the latest version of "ODIN" and how to use it to flash to your system, stock ROM, Firmware, etc.
    Last edited by DXjunkie; 12-21-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spell check

Default Re: Switched from iPhone 5 to the Note 3:

I am in the same boat. I actually bought the Note to see how it would work out and each day that passes, that iPhone 5 gets further and further from my mind.

Just bought a Note 3 after several iPhones, the latest being the original 5. My last Android experience was far less than pleasant, however, I'm kind of fed up with Apple's complacency in new design and like the looks of the Note 3. Thought I'd give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll take it back and upgrade to the latest iPhone.

Early impressions are mixed. Love the size, that alone would make it tough to go back to a smaller phone. There's lots of things I really like about Android like the Widgets. Love the calendar widget on my home screen. Still too early to tell about the cell phone radio. No problems to date but the call quality is slightly less than the iPhone. Get just a bit of the "in a well" sound but not enough to make it a deal breaker. Very disappointed in that One Note won't allow me to easily write handwritten notes in it with the digital stylus. I have used One Note quite some time and it great for integrating across a lot of platforms. The S pen leaves a lot to be desired but you got to give Samsung credit for giving it a try and advancing it while the iPhone still wants to use that stupid sponge stylus that to me is essentially useless.

SMS seems a bit screwed up, I started another thread to get some help on that. Not sure why Android still hasn't worked out a seamless integration with MS Exchange Server/Office 365 to sync tasks and notes. I think Touchdown was the primary culprit for the problems I had with Android way back when, really hesitant to use it. First cut at battery life seems impressive, especially considering the size of the screen and the computing power. I'm able to use Swype again - love that! What a great app for a keyboard. Tried the voice recognition a few times, seems incredibly accurate, I was very impressed. At least as good as Siri for converting voice to text and very fast. The phone did lock up today, second day I have it! However, I've been loading different apps and screwing around with it so I can accept that as long as that isn't a frequent issue. I have to give the IOS credit in this area, it would lock up every 6 to 9 months if even that.

I'm sure there's a learning curve, I have until Jan 15. If the cellular connection capabilities are similar and lock ups aren't frequent, it's a done deal. This device has a lot to like about it for sure.

I should add that I also got the Bose Bluetooth Series 2 headset. It paired with the Note 3 easily/quickly and is awesome, far and away the best Bluetooth device of this type I've ever used. Very, very comfortable as well. The quality of the voice coming to me was actually better through the Bose device than straight through the Note 3.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts

Biggest question is why do you want to root? And, is that reason worth doing it? Your call of course.

Root is very easy nowadays, but phones can still be bricked. Excellent advice from Golfdriver97 to also learn how to unroot too. Kingo's does seem to be the more popular method at this time.

Most here are very helpful if you get jammed up. Good luck!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks GolfDriver97, I did plenty of research. I ended up with Kingo and safestrapper. It seems to be working well. Single rom that basically pulled all of the Verizon info.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks TheMacs, the biggest reason was to get rid of the Verizon bloatware. Coming from iPhone it was driving me nuts. I ended up with Kingo and safestrapper. It seems to be working well. Single rom that basically pulled all of the Verizon info.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier_mac View Post
    I should add that I also got the Bose Bluetooth Series 2 headset. It paired with the Note 3 easily/quickly and is awesome, far and away the best Bluetooth device of this type I've ever used. Very, very comfortable as well. The quality of the voice coming to me was actually better through the Bose device than straight through the Note 3.
    How do you like it now a week later? I am still really enjoying it. I have a couple of quirks of its not as easy to make a call and the text messages don't pop across the screen with the message. Other than that I am really glad I made the switch.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thank you DXJunkie, I ended up using Kingo and Safestrap. I also just installed one rom, CleanRom 1.5 and it works well. I should have made the size of the ROM larger, I will need to reinstall later, there is no room to add anything else. I was thinking about checking out the Baja Rom, have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Dowler View Post

So how do you sync your iCloud with your new Android?? I still have an iPad, so need that sync to work. So far my "sync" experience has been terrible, and I'm being forced to return it and go back to the iPhone

Hi I switched but am wondering how to get my music from iTunes on my mac book to the GN3

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I was always frustrated with my music library being too large and the amount of times itunes would take to sync. I switched to Spotify for $10 a month and it has changed my life. I now have access to any song the day it comes out and no more frustration. Well worth it.

Posted via my Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by NCSDtoRiverside View Post
    Hi I switched but am wondering how to get my music from iTunes on my mac book to the GN3

U can go that route or get get Google music all access for 8$ a month or download Google music manager and have it sync all of your music from your Mac to your account.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)