Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Note 3: Battery & spam problems

Hi all,

I posted the other day about the spam issues I'm having. I've tried norton, avg, and lookout none of which show any problems or threats. I used the norton app that shows which apps allow ads and deleted them - but still the problem persists.
    The spam happens sometimes when I click on my msgs/emails/browser - it directs me to a Web page usually either saying phone memory critically low (it's not) or to a android-support.us page

Android Battery Saver

then it automatically loads the play store to social point games, meetup.com apps or king.com apps.

Aside from deleting everything off my phone and starting over is there anything else I can do?

Also, my battery recently has been awful. This morning it went almost 10% in less than 15mins. My screen is down to almost zero, I've turned off the wifi alert as well as one other thing that that showed to he taking up battery (a Verizon product). But, now with mild/medium use texting my friend, searching the web occasionally ..In 8.5 hrs I'm down to less than 15%

If I knew how to upload screen shots of my battery use today I'd show you.

Just another point, all of this was in my house with wifi.

I'd really appreciate some help, I'm at my wits end ready to launch the phone at my wall!

Thanks,

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-08-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Global Posts
    8,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Battery & spam problems

Quote Originally Posted by sarkycow View Post
    Hi all,

I posted the other day about the spam issues I'm having. I've tried norton, avg, and lookout none of which show any problems or threats. I used the norton app that shows which apps allow ads and deleted them - but still the problem persists.
    The spam happens sometimes when I click on my msgs/emails/browser - it directs me to a Web page usually either saying phone memory critically low (it's not) or to a android-support.us page

Android Battery Saver

then it automatically loads the play store to social point games, meetup.com apps or king.com apps.

Aside from deleting everything off my phone and starting over is there anything else I can do?

Also, my battery recently has been awful. This morning it went almost 10% in less than 15mins. My screen is down to almost zero, I've turned off the wifi alert as well as one other thing that that showed to he taking up battery (a Verizon product). But, now with mild/medium use texting my friend, searching the web occasionally ..In 8.5 hrs I'm down to less than 15%

If I knew how to upload screen shots of my battery use today I'd show you.

Just another point, all of this was in my house with wifi.

I'd really appreciate some help, I'm at my wits end ready to launch the phone at my wall!

Thanks,

Sarks.

You can post screenshots from the AC Forums app.
    For the battery, download an app called Wakelock detector; that should tell you what's causing the battery drain.
    As far as the spam, I'd uninstall the apps one by one and see if you can find out which one is doing it, if that doesn't work then a factory reset would probably be best

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Download an app called airpush detector and see if it will tell you which app is causing it. Post some screenshots and we'll see if we can help out!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Download an app called airpush detector and see if it will tell you which app is causing it. Post some screenshots and we'll see if we can help out!
    I downloaded it and it didn't find anything that was causing the problem.

Can you tell me how to upload screen shots from the android central app? I'm a bit of a muppet! I cannae see any place that would allow me to upload them ...what am I missing?

Also what would be helpful to show screenshots off - what apps I have on my phone? I'm more p----d off about the ad spam right now than the battery.

Thanks for helping!

Sarks :-)

Global Posts
    8,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I downloaded it and it didn't find anything that was causing the problem.

Can you tell me how to upload screen shots from the android central app? I'm a bit of a muppet! I cannae see any place that would allow me to upload them ...what am I missing?

Also what would be helpful to show screenshots off - what apps I have on my phone? I'm more p----d off about the ad spam right now than the battery.

Thanks for helping!

Sarks :-)

You can't do it with the AC app, it has to be the AC Forums app or from the desktop. And yes, that would be very helpful

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the help in being able to upload screen shots! Here are all the apps I have right now on it. The apps in google, samsung, tools etc are the standard ones that come with the phone - I haven't added anything else to those folders. Hopefully one of these wee B's will stick out as a culprit!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon Note 3: Battery & spam problems-1387865893972.jpg   Verizon Note 3: Battery & spam problems-1387865916024.jpg   Verizon Note 3: Battery & spam problems-1387865935512.jpg   Verizon Note 3: Battery & spam problems-1387865951945.jpg  

Global Posts
    8,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

None of the apps seems like it would be the cause of this. Maybe a file you downloaded or site you visited? I have the same issue, only it's on my desktop PC. Have a few anti-viruses but the problem is still there. At this point I'd recommend a factory reset :\

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I could perhaps have clicked on some Web page link if it showed up on something I was in, I really don't know.

As for downloads I don't think so as generally all I download are either attachments in emails (docs for work or pics friends have taken). I guess if I could have downloaded an app that had it, then got rid of the app and the problem stayed then that could have happened.

I have talked to my bf about the factory reset (this problem has been p---ing me off the last couple of weeks) he wants to see if he can fix it - but he will just do what I've done - research it, ask others for help, delete apps, scan for problems. Not really sure what else I can try at this point.

Just a bit bummed out cos I held onto my iPhone for a couple of yrs as I never had any problems with it ..and now as a treat I got us both these phones for our birthdays in sept and mine has ended up buggered with some f---ers spam!

Again, thanks for letting me rant and trying to help me!

Sarks.

Global Posts
    8,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I could perhaps have clicked on some Web page link if it showed up on something I was in, I really don't know.

As for downloads I don't think so as generally all I download are either attachments in emails (docs for work or pics friends have taken). I guess if I could have downloaded an app that had it, then got rid of the app and the problem stayed then that could have happened.

I have talked to my bf about the factory reset (this problem has been p---ing me off the last couple of weeks) he wants to see if he can fix it - but he will just do what I've done - research it, ask others for help, delete apps, scan for problems. Not really sure what else I can try at this point.

Just a bit bummed out cos I held onto my iPhone for a couple of yrs as I never had any problems with it ..and now as a treat I got us both these phones for our birthdays in sept and mine has ended up buggered with some f---ers spam!

Sarks.

No problem. Sorry I couldn't help :\

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

No worries. Thank you for trying to help. I really appreciate everyone's friendliness and help here, glad I discovered the app!

UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    8,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Let us know if you find a solution

I am having same issue and nothing fixes it. I am ready to give up on Android and go back to iPhone.

Verizon Note 3: Battery & spam problems-image.jpg

Here are a few screen shots of what is happening. Other times, the browser will pop up temporarily and then route to to the play store to buy words with friends or some poker app. I have only caught a bit of the URL that it routes through which starts with "hashrik1."

Global Posts
    8,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Ellis View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	99041

Views:	82 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	99042

Views:	78 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	99043

Views:	76 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	99044

Here are a few screen shots of what is happening. Other times, the browser will pop up temporarily and then route to to the play store to buy words with friends or some poker app. I have only caught a bit of the URL that it routes through which starts with "hashrik1."
    This isn't an issue with Android, it's an issue with the apps. I have never had an ad outside of an app and even then, they can be closed easily. I'd start with deleting apps, one of them has to be the culprit
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    19,807 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Sarks.

Try Airpush opt out. You can search for its website and give them I think your cell number or Meid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I would recommend trying out Lookout Ad Detector: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...out.addetector

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3
    UJ95x likes this.

What do you people do to get this sort of thing on your phone??? I have had a ton of phones and have never had to worry about spam! What websites are you visiting? What weird apps are you trying to download?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    19,807 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    What do you people do to get this sort of thing on your phone??? I have had a ton of phones and have never had to worry about spam! What websites are you visiting? What weird apps are you trying to download?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    There are apps on Play that will automatically download other apps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

I had this same problem happening to me... I ran my VZW Protection app (which found nothing)... so I closed everything I had open, cleared all my defaults, closed and deleted all my webpages, and just simply restarted my phone (turn off / turn on) and have yet to have anything pop up since... and its been 2 days now whereas before it would pop up atleast 4-5+ times a day... I know it sounds stupid and so simple... but I usually keep my phone on 24/7... So I just restarted it and boom no more so far!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I have tried basically every suggestion I've been given - none of the programmes people suggested have found anything wrong, nor have the other possible solutions worked. I posted the apps on my phone and people have told me that none of them look like they would be causing problems.

As for what websites I use, visit etc I don't visit anything dodgy: a large amount of my time is reading the news, looking up things on Wikipedia, reading a couple of other sites I've used frequently on other phones/computers and had no problem.

For the person who posted screenshots above that's EXACTLY the problem I'm having and I'm finding no solution. I deleted all the browsing data etc again and rebooted and literally the first thing I clicked on (Samsung email app) the spam came flashing up. I've NEVER had this problem on any other phone - I had my iPhone for 2 yrs with no problems.

I'm down to a bare minimum of apps, most of which came with the effing phone, the only thing I haven't tried is doing a factory reset on my phone - but even then I saw some postings on other sites of people who did this and it didn't stop the problem.

I don't see myself , if something looks like it maybe dodgy then I avoid it, but if it's some random thing I may have clicked on I can see that being possible.

I'm just really frustrated that there isn't (unless I've yet to find something that does) a solution/a way to stop these effing bs from popping up on my phone every time I click on my email, msgs, browser etc

I do want to say thank you though to everyone who has tried (or trying) to help me, and those who sympathize!

Hopefully I can find a solution soon.

Thanks,

Sarks.

Last edited by davidnc; 07-29-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: lang. edit

Global Posts
    19,807 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline

I too have had the same problem the last few weeks with these exact same pop ups. The only unusual thing I recall doing recently is downloading some playstore apps from TapJoy to get jewels in the game castle clash. I figured the playstore apps were safe. But in retrospect, tapjoy seems to have a lot of suspect clients.

If you download the apps from playstore you still my not get your jewels as promised by Tapjoy - it varies. Complaining to Tapjoy does absolutely nothing. After having this happen a few times, I realized that Tapjoy has a lot of slimy clients and Tapjoy doesn't care. This led to me to believe that I got this malware from one of tapjoy's client's apps but I have removed all of these apps and the problem persists.

Anyway, one of the weblinks that pops up in my chrome browser is Android Clean Master

By the way, I input the hyperlink above as a long weblink "http://android-support.us/2010/11/index.php?c=66&l=389&subid=2117273431" and this site turned it into a hyperlink called "android clean master" when I posted it.

This link will take you to on the pop up you will be taken to http://2solution.net/trc/go.php?c=66...bid=2117273431 Then you will be immediately redirected to the playstore.

The playstore app, some junk called DU speed booster, which i never downloaded, has more positive reviews than any app you have ever seen. It's BS tho. But when I try to write a negative review, it always says an error has occurred.

Like the OP, I am p%#ed off and even more surprise that over the last few weeks, no solutions have emerged when repeatedly scouring the net for answers. It is scary because after 3 years on android this is the first problem of this type I have encountered but none of the playstore anti-virus anti malware stuff has been able to even identify a problem.
    Last edited by knockoutdoc; 01-09-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typos
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a wee update. I think I may have figured out the app that caused all the spam etc. It was called night vision spy camera (thank you to my bf for downloading that!) made by Sergio Barbara

I started getting spam in my notification bar on top of the rest and when I clicked and held on the spam it showed me which app it was coming from. One thing I found interesting, I had deleted the app yet somehow it managed to stay on my phone without showing up on my apps.

I managed to force it to stop and the 2 days following I did not have any spam or pop ups or redirects to the play store. (Then my bf accidently cracked my screen so I now have a replacement).

Just thought I'd let yous know since some had the same problem.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, and the sympathy!

Sarks.

Thanked by:

(Then my bf accidently cracked my screen so I now have a replacement).
    Phone or bf?

Just kidding..Thanks for posting as I'm sure this will help many people.

sarkycow likes this.

Life saver!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hi all,

just wanted to give a wee update. I think i may have figured out the app that caused all the spam etc. It was called night vision spy camera (thank you to my bf for downloading that!) made by sergio barbara

i started getting spam in my notification bar on top of the rest and when i clicked and held on the spam it showed me which app it was coming from. One thing i found interesting, i had deleted the app yet somehow it managed to stay on my phone without showing up on my apps.

I managed to force it to stop and the 2 days following i did not have any spam or pop ups or redirects to the play store. (then my bf accidently cracked my screen so i now have a replacement).

Just thought i'd let yous know since some had the same problem.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, and the sympathy!

Sarks.

Posted via android central app
    sarkycow likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast