Verizon Galaxy Note 3 - Action Memo -- Or Something Like It

egscms

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the Action Memo -- is it the only 'note' application that lets you do something practical with the note like email it, add a contact, add a task.
I'm liking these features, but looking for other note apps that might do they same. PARTICULARLY -- adding a note that will drop into calendar date, time.

Thanks and happy new year.

Johnny Umphress

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Action Memo -- Or Something Like It

You can add a note to calendar. Write your note, select the Lasso, then select Task. That will take you to the calendar app to add it to what ever day you wish.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Well, for my purposes, close but no cigar.

Yes, this will take you to the Calendar App, but it creates a 'Task,' not a Calendar Event. And I haven't found a way to directly transfer the information to the Calendar Event tab from the Tasker tab, so this seems like a significant limitation. I haven't found a way to change the default options for Action Memo, so for me, it's pretty useless as a way to enter a Calendar Event using the stylus.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this directly, or another App that would enable directly adding a Calendar Event using the pen?

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. Hopefully someone knows or finds a way.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Maybe I'm confused, but when I create a "task" and choose calendar, there are 2 tabs at the top. One says event and one says task. When I choose event, it goes to an event screen where I can pick a time range and other options like description. Once I do that, an event is created. I just did a test and created an all-day event today called Test, which where I wrote out the word Test and lassoed it, creating an event which I titled Test. I did it a second time with different wording in the memo from the title and the memo wording is what shows up as the event. If I click that entry, the other details pop up.

Posted via Android Central App

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I think it might be confusing because of the color scheme, the event tab looks like it's grayed out. It works though.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Maybe I'm confused, but when I create a "task" and choose calendar, there are 2 tabs at the top. One says event and one says task. When I choose event, it goes to an event screen where I can pick a time range and other options like description. Once I do that, an event is created. I just did a test and created an all-day event today called Test, which where I wrote out the word Test and lassoed it, creating an event which I titled Test. I did it a second time with different wording in the memo from the title and the memo wording is what shows up as the event. If I click that entry, the other details pop up.

Thanks for the reply. The question is what order are you doing things? A practical use for me would be when I'm checking out of the Dentist's office, and making my next appointment. I take out the Pen, select Action Memo. I can then write a name (e.g. Dentist), select it, and choose the right-hand-most icon, which then takes me to the Task Tab in the Calendar. In the Title field, 'Dentist' is entered automatically. If I click on the Event Tab, the Title field is blank. I can 'hover' the pen, and select 'Paste' which will put 'Dentist' in the field, but it isn't entered automatically. If I don't paste it into the Title field, I can create an Event, but it shows up as Untitled.

So are you creating the Action Memo entry first, and then going to the Calendar, or going to the Calendar Field first, and then writing with the pen. Or are you doing it the same way, but somehow 'Dentist' is automatically placed into the Title field for Event as well as Task??

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I have to re-enter the name in the event screen if I go there. I didn't really explain it properly.

I can see how one might want to be able to directly transfer the written info to an event, but you still have to get to the screen and add it. I get your point. However, I don't see any way that you could hand write the info and have it go to the various field properly (maybe there are apps that are smart enough to parse handwriting and throw them in the correct fields like time, participants, etc. though). You would still have to enter some of the information manually. Actually, all you need to do is to write a single letter to lasso to get to the calendar. No need to write dentist or anything since you have to enter it on the events page anyway (which is your point, right?)

Sorry if I was confusing. I was trying it for the first time on the fly. I've always just gone directly to the calendar to do this stuff.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

While it seems like it would be cool to be able to handle everything you need in a memo and move it to the calendar, it seems like a feature for features sake in this case. Unless you could write Dentist June 3, 2014, 2-3pm bring daughter (and any other optional field), and have that info go in the right places, it's just an extra added step to pull up a memo page and write all of that stuff in. And, even if you could do all of that, it would be more efficient and probably quicker just to go to the calendar directly. You can still hand write some of the info if that's the fun part and use the drop down menus for time, which is probably quicker as well.

Seems to me like in this case, it's just a feature for feature's sake and not particularly practical. But, different strokes I guess.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I appreciate the clarification. At least it's working the same for both of us.

The obvious solution is for Samsung's software to provide an option to input the written information to the Calendar, rather than a Task, or give us some way to configure where we want to send what we have written.

I love my GN3 - best phone by far I've ever had - but I find I am not using the Pen at all. I thought this might be a way to put it to use, but it's probably easier to just do it the 'regular' way, and not use the Pen.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I use it a lot to Swype. Find it's more forgiving and, at the same time more discriminating than a finger (which is weird that it's both at the same time).

I like handwriting sometimes as well. Being a lefthander causes problems sometimes when I have the multi-window activated. My little finger's knuckle rests right there on the pull tab and opens it up if I'm not careful. Distracting.

I also use it for the scrapbook feature occasionally as well.

Once in a blue moon, I'll pull up the pen window and grab the Calculator.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I was just thinking that it would be practical if you could save the memo as an event, scribble whatever you wanted on it but have a square somewhere on the page where you write the time and date. The app then translates it and puts it at the right date and time. Maybe you can write Event - dentist and it translates that. Then, if you go to the calendar, or you get a notification, you go to that date and time and there's the little note icon which you then pull up and read directly from the memo.

That would probably be useful. It'd be like a virtual desktop or bulletin board. That's what you had in mind, right?

scodoublet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site

I use it a lot to Swype. Find it's more forgiving and, at the same time more discriminating than a finger (which is weird that it's both at the same time).

I like handwriting sometimes as well. Being a lefthander causes problems sometimes when I have the multi-window activated. My little finger's knuckle rests right there on the pull tab and opens it up if I'm not careful. Distracting.

I also use it for the scrapbook feature occasionally as well.

Once in a blue moon, I'll pull up the pen window and grab the Calculator.

You can move the pull tab to the other side of the screen. Just open the tab then grab the tab and move the whole menu to the right side! Problem solved!

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol