Texting through Wi-Fi?

JordanHardey

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a Note 3 about 2 weeks ago, and love it... BUT I have an issue (I think).

I get barely any service while I am at work (due to the materials used on the building or something) and it blocks my service from getting to me, unless I leave my Phone leaning up against the windows and even then its not guarenteed to get service. I used to have an iPhone and could send texts through Wi-Fi here at work and had no problems with it... I have noticed that I cant send texts through my Wi-Fi...

So my question is... is there anyway for me to do this the same way I did with my iPhone... or is there an App I can use, etc?

My Girlfriend hates that I have to walk outside to be able to do something as simple as text.... HELP!

Thanks! :)

JordanHardey

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Can I still use my mobile number I have and not have to use my Google voice number... I don't want my girlfriend to have to get a Google voice account as well...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Johnny Umphress

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I do all my texting through Google Voice because I do not want to pay for a text package through Verizon. I have both phone numbers in my phone and have my Verizon phone number set as the primary number. I can call or receive calls from either number. I also have the Google Voice voicemail set as primary because it transcribes the voice message and emails it to my Gmail. I haven't used Verizon's voicemail in years.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You can download Verizon Messages and text through that! It will even let you text from your computer or tablet also!

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
why not use something like hangouts rather than text messages?

iPhone to iPhone messaging over wifi isn't actually text messages, they are iMessages which just happen to be handled in the same app that texts are. it's not piggybacking on the GSM call setup or anything.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only carrier that I know that allows calls and texts via wifi (it goes through wifi to their backhaul so.. Same number and everything) with no special apps is T-Mobile. That's because of wifi calling.

I wish other carriers would adopt it.. It's a great idea and saves many headaches.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

JordanHardey

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Nothing works still... i guess I'll just have to use Facebook messenger... Verizon messages doesn't work and neither does the other options

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SGEN3

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I turned off mobile data at work and texted my wife through wifi with Google hangouts. Then was at home later on wifi and tried to send a picture through it and took FOREVER. So I have no clue lol definitely seems to work through wifi though for messages only

OIF VETERAN 2009 - 2010

Beantown Bashers

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
So my question is... is there anyway for me to do this the same way I did with my iPhone... or is there an App I can use, etc?

You can send text messages through your computer

Works with all carriers

for Verizon it is

The persons phone number plus vtext.com if they have verizon

An example would be 2025551212@vext.com

You do need to know what carrier the person uses to send them a text from your computer

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

Hope this helps??/

JordanHardey

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The "using a computer" to send my texts at work kinda defeats the purpose of trying to use my note haha but thanks for the option... If anyone figures out a app or something for the note that can work thru wifi let me know!

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

James4455

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Normal setting for me is to have mobile data off. I text and receive text all the time. I don't understand the problem

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Normal setting for me is to have mobile data off. I text and receive text all the time. I don't understand the problem

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You must still have a good signal then (the bars on your phone). Normal SMS messages go through the cell tower and don't require a data connection. Only MMS needs a data connection.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

jammy1973

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I know it's been a few years since this thread was launched, but wanted to close this question off as things have moved on now.

I only know one carrier in the UK, but I know others have apps that do exactly what is required here.... Unfortunately the txt and minutes used over wi-fi come out of your allowance though...

For O2 UK download the Tu-Go app from Play Store.

Can others please add the other apps from other providers, please?

Ta,
Jammy

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The "using a computer" to send my texts at work kinda defeats the purpose of trying to use my note haha but thanks for the option... If anyone figures out a app or something for the note that can work thru wifi let me know!

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I've got the Galaxy Note 3, stock, not-rooted, on Verizon.

I use the Verizon Message+ App, and it allows me to send SMS and MMS via WiFi without problem. I just tested it out again - put my phone on Airplane Mode, to make sure there was no Verizon connection, and just had my WiFi on. Was able to send/receive SMS and MMS without problem on my Note 3.

The added benefit is that I can also install on my Desktop, and be able to send/receive there as well - beats the heck out of typing on my phone if I have a longish text.

Your posts imply that this hasn't worked for you. Not sure why, though - it seems to work for me just like you want, on WiFi only.

HTH.

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've got the Galaxy Note 3, stock, not-rooted, on Verizon.

I use the Verizon Message+ App, and it allows me to send SMS and MMS via WiFi without problem. I just tested it out again - put my phone on Airplane Mode, to make sure there was no Verizon connection, and just had my WiFi on. Was able to send/receive SMS and MMS without problem on my Note 3.

The added benefit is that I can also install on my Desktop, and be able to send/receive there as well - beats the heck out of typing on my phone if I have a longish text.

Your posts imply that this hasn't worked for you. Not sure why, though - it seems to work for me just like you want, on WiFi only.

HTH.

I wish Verizon would update this app more frequently. It works nicely, but is really ugly, and has no fluid animations. It has very in-depth customization options, but it's still lacking in a lot of respects. If it received a proper Material Design update, I would be aaaaaallllll over it.

sumblnddude

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if the OP found a solution to the texting over wifi problem or not yet, but I had the same issue when I was out of the country. I was frustrated since my wife's iPhone texted worked fine and I couldn't even though Verizon stated we could text over WiFi (I have an S5 phone).

Tried it again, and this time checked out the website. I had to log-in to the Verizon Wireless webpage and click on the "Get It Now" link and agree the terms and junk like that.

I can't post links yet, but the website is verizonwireless . com / landingpage / verizon-messages or just google Verizon messages and it should be one of the first results.

Inside the app itself, you have to go the settings and subscribe to the syncing option. There are a lot of other crazy options there too, but those two steps should fix your problem.