Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Johnny Umphress
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Texting through Wi-Fi?

I just picked up a Note 3 about 2 weeks ago, and love it... BUT I have an issue (I think).

I get barely any service while I am at work (due to the materials used on the building or something) and it blocks my service from getting to me, unless I leave my Phone leaning up against the windows and even then its not guarenteed to get service. I used to have an iPhone and could send texts through Wi-Fi here at work and had no problems with it... I have noticed that I cant send texts through my Wi-Fi...

So my question is... is there anyway for me to do this the same way I did with my iPhone... or is there an App I can use, etc?

My Girlfriend hates that I have to walk outside to be able to do something as simple as text.... HELP!

Thanks!

ROM
    mrg666's gb rom

Default Re: Texting through Wi-Fi?

Google voice can do that. Free on the Play Store

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Tapatalk
    I love this show
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Can I still use my mobile number I have and not have to use my Google voice number... I don't want my girlfriend to have to get a Google voice account as well...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ROM
    mrg666's gb rom

You can port it for 20$, other then that no you can't.

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Tapatalk
    I love this show

I do all my texting through Google Voice because I do not want to pay for a text package through Verizon. I have both phone numbers in my phone and have my Verizon phone number set as the primary number. I can call or receive calls from either number. I also have the Google Voice voicemail set as primary because it transcribes the voice message and emails it to my Gmail. I haven't used Verizon's voicemail in years.
    akenhart likes this.

You can download Verizon Messages and text through that! It will even let you text from your computer or tablet also!

why not use something like hangouts rather than text messages?

iPhone to iPhone messaging over wifi isn't actually text messages, they are iMessages which just happen to be handled in the same app that texts are. it's not piggybacking on the GSM call setup or anything.

The only carrier that I know that allows calls and texts via wifi (it goes through wifi to their backhaul so.. Same number and everything) with no special apps is T-Mobile. That's because of wifi calling.

I wish other carriers would adopt it.. It's a great idea and saves many headaches.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    ZackVortex likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Nothing works still... i guess I'll just have to use Facebook messenger... Verizon messages doesn't work and neither does the other options

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I turned off mobile data at work and texted my wife through wifi with Google hangouts. Then was at home later on wifi and tried to send a picture through it and took FOREVER. So I have no clue lol definitely seems to work through wifi though for messages only

OIF VETERAN 2009 - 2010

Quote Originally Posted by JordanHardey View Post
    So my question is... is there anyway for me to do this the same way I did with my iPhone... or is there an App I can use, etc?

You can send text messages through your computer

Works with all carriers

for Verizon it is

The persons phone number plus vtext.com if they have verizon

An example would be

You do need to know what carrier the person uses to send them a text from your computer

T-Mobile:
    Virgin Mobile:
    Cingular:
    Sprint:
    Verizon:
    Nextel:

Hope this helps??/
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

The "using a computer" to send my texts at work kinda defeats the purpose of trying to use my note haha but thanks for the option... If anyone figures out a app or something for the note that can work thru wifi let me know!

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I use my Note 3 and send them through Gmail and select the send-to the phone number from contacts. Which is the same as from the PC.

Try Upptalk. It doesn't work on all devices, but it has free texting and calling for me. One other thing is that it does not have in dial number pad yet.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Normal setting for me is to have mobile data off. I text and receive text all the time. I don't understand the problem

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by James4455 View Post
    Normal setting for me is to have mobile data off. I text and receive text all the time. I don't understand the problem

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    You must still have a good signal then (the bars on your phone). Normal SMS messages go through the cell tower and don't require a data connection. Only MMS needs a data connection.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.