1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Transferring single line w/unlimited data with Assumption of Liability...?

If a Verizon customer has 3 unlimited data phones on a family plan, is there any way for a person to transfer their line and keep the unlimited data? If not and the original owner of the plan decided they wanted to dump the plan for a subsidized phone is there a way for someone who is currently on the plan to assume the plan and let the original plan owner get a completely new one. This question was discussed on a different thread on the Verizon site, and I was looking for options to allow some on a plan to keep the unlimited data while allowing others on the plan to go their own way if they decide they don't want to pay full price for devices.

Default Re: Transferring single line w/unlimited data with Assumption of Liability...?

Verizon contracts clearly state that they are nontransferable.

Default Re: Transferring single line w/unlimited data with Assumption of Liability...?

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Verizon contracts clearly state that they are nontransferable.
    While this may be true, when I left Verizon I payed an ETF to get out my my line in the contract. I told the rep I was "too old to be in my parents contract so I was canceling my line." The rep then told me that I could assume liability of my line and it would be taken off my parents and I would just begin paying for my own plan, same number and upgrade date and all. However I had already forgone the unlimited data so that could have had something to do with it. I know Big red says the contracts are non-transferable but there are situations where you can indeed make that happen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    College student that spends far too much money on phones.

It's possible. I did it back in May 2013. The unlimited data stays with the number. I had 3 months left on my contract and transferred the line off my family plan to someone else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cheeta186 View Post
    While this may be true, when I left Verizon I payed an ETF to get out my my line in the contract. I told the rep I was "too old to be in my parents contract so I was canceling my line." The rep then told me that I could assume liability of my line and it would be taken off my parents and I would just begin paying for my own plan, same number and upgrade date and all. However I had already forgone the unlimited data so that could have had something to do with it. I know Big red says the contracts are non-transferable but there are situations where you can indeed make that happen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    You didn't assume liability of your "line" you assumed liability of your phone. The ETF fee is to pay for the rest of the phones cost. They then did a credit check on you and started a new contract(line).

Yes all phones are transferable but they will never transfer a contract.

You can assume liability and keep unlimited data, but confirm with a rep when you do it. Also, do not mention unlimited data, just a ask if the plan would remain the same.

Also, Unlimited is tied to the number. The person who wants a subsidized upgrade can add a line to get a subsidized phone and you or someone else can take over that phone number unofficially just by using the phone number.

Since you have 3 unlimited data lines, imo, your best option would be to add a line of service, get a new phone on that line, then transfer the upgrade from your unlimited lines to the non unlimited line. You can sell the phone from the new line to recuperate the cost of the new line. Then just put a basic phone on the new line with no data charge. You can also suspend service without billing for 180 days out of the year, to extend the amount of time that the non unlimited line is on contract

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I purchased two unlimited lines last week off of craigslist and took over them. It's called assumption of liability. If someone tells you it's not possible they are wrong. Keep talking to different customer care people until you get one that knows what they are doing. Better yet call AOL at 888-832-4540

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by citypointservice View Post
    I purchased two unlimited lines last week off of craigslist and took over them. It's called assumption of liability. If someone tells you it's not possible they are wrong. Keep talking to different customer care people until you get one that knows what they are doing. Better yet call AOL at 888-832-4540
    Hmmm sounds great, but how about you give an update after you get a bill or two LOL