Battery Drain 15% an hour/Phone Will Not Power On after Battery Removal Unless Plugged In To Charger

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Phone: Note 3
Purchased: Late November 2013

So...I have been searching the forums for the past hour or two and have found some similar issues but nothing quite the same. I have tried many of the suggestions on the forums and nothing seems to be working. I began noticing over the past five days or so that my battery is draining very quickly and as of today the problem seems to be getting worse. I have not had this problem until now. Prior to now, my battery life was excellent, I could be gone at work teaching all day and still have over 50% at night. I have considered that it could be an app...have deleted some, stopped others from running etc...and this has not fixed the problem. When I say that the battery is draining quickly, I mean losing FAST. For example, I just charged it to 100% and I have had it off of the charger for more than an hour but less than two hours and I am already at 78%. And that is pretty much with doing nothing...not on the web, not texting, not on Facebook, not playing music or watching video, not talking. One of the suggestions that I read said to remove the battery, wait 30 seconds and put it back in (after clearing cache, data etc.)...so I did...and then my phone would not power on AT ALL. I tried a spare battery to see if perhaps a different battery would help, but it would not power on with a different battery. I plugged it into the charger and was able to power it up while plugged in to the charger and I am able to remove it from the charger and it stays powered on. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I have taken the battery out a few times and the same thing happens each time-it will not power on unless plugged in and then will stay on once removed from charger. I am beginning to think that I'm screwed (I say that because setting up a new phone is a PIA) and am going to need to make a trip to the Verizon store and get a new phone and that something in the battery reading contacts (totally made up lay girl terms-I am not a "tekkie") has failed. Any other thoughts or ideas (in lay person terms, pretty please)? I appreciate your time!

Erin

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
It may be a bad battery. Did you leave it charging for a good amount of time?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes. And even tried a different battery and it wouldn't power on without being plugged in, with either battery. But I have not tried running it all day with the other battery (it was my SO's spare, I don't have a spare).Was really hoping it was just a bad battery...but starting to think it's more. Thanks for your reply!

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Another piece of info: if I shut it off normally, I can power it back on normally, but if I take the battery out and then put it back in, I have to plug it in to get it to power on.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Another piece of info: if I shut it off normally, I can power it back on normally, but if I take the battery out and then put it back in, I have to plug it in to get it to power on.

Very strange. I think you're gonna have to take to Verizon. Check this out to backup your apps and this to backup your call logs and texts if you need them.