Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Cloud Backup Option? Verizon cloud gets bad reviews

Does anyone here use the cloud to backup contacts, pictures, video, etc? I know the contacts are backed up via the Gmail account, but what about pictures video etc. I also know these things take up a lot of room eventually, and privacy might be an issue for some as well if you back up text messages and other personal data in the same place.
    I read the Verizon Cloud app is not like by many either for small storage space or problems losing things.
    Gmail does offer 15 GB, and our note 3 is a Android device so it should play well.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My girlfriend has same phone and lost a lot on the older phone due to having a guy at I Experts install a new screen digitizer and ending up destroying
    the phone where it would not even turn on so we could get anything back but what was on the chip.

Anyway, what cloud storage does everyone who uses it use, and why?

Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Best Cloud Backup Option? Verizon cloud gets bad reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jim2112 View Post
    Does anyone here use the cloud to backup contacts, pictures, video, etc? I know the contacts are backed up via the Gmail account, but what about pictures video etc. I also know these things take up a lot of room eventually, and privacy might be an issue for some as well if you back up text messages and other personal data in the same place.
    I read the Verizon Cloud app is not like by many either for small storage space or problems losing things.
    Gmail does offer 15 GB, and our note 3 is a Android device so it should play well.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My girlfriend has same phone and lost a lot on the older phone due to having a guy at I Experts install a new screen digitizer and ending up destroying
    the phone where it would not even turn on so we could get anything back but what was on the chip.

Anyway, what cloud storage does everyone who uses it use, and why?
    I use Box, Dropbox, and Drive. Dropbox is my smallest, not counting promo space, and I am slowly moving things to the other services.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Google can backup your photos and videos too. You can use Google+ to do that for you. I personally have mine set to backup over Mobile Data or Wi-fi (because I am on an unlimited plan still) and to only upload when charging. Also, you can backup an unlimited amount of photos to Google if you choose the 5mp option as opposed to full size pics.

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

Have them all too, as well as SkyDrive and Sugarsync. I don't use Vz's though.

You'll have to test drive them and find the one you like best.
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

due to owning a chromebook i have 100gb free in my drive for two years at least, but i use my drive as a pictures folder usually once a week i migrate all my pictures to my drive and just go there when i need them it has been my best solution as my pictures are now cross synced to my iphone and computer as well effrortlessly, i love dropbox but they only offer 2gb free so this is not worth it because at least my drive gives me a minimum of 15gb, and if you watch for deals services like box or copy will give away lifetime space. like my box account has 50gb free for life. But dropbox and drive seem to function the best on any platform.

Contacts i sync with my gmail but you already do that as well.
    Android: Moto X (2014), Galaxy Note 3, Lg G3
    iOS: iPhone 6 64 gb
    Windows Phone:Lumia Icon

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

I just started using copy.com and like it.

Posted via Android Central App

Dropbox mostly for my phone stuff. But My Backup PRO also has a cloud back up option for phone backups.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

So a bunch of people answered who never used it. Typical.

I use it and it works great. NO problems at all and I am quite shocked. Both on my Note 3 and my desktop.

I still did a hard backup on a CD for my important documents, though. And some photos. Just in case.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

I dont recommend verizon cloud what so ever. When i went from my iphone 4 to the note 3 and my wife also upgraded her phone we both used verizon cloud i backed up to it first then she backed up to it and it deleted all the stuff i had on my back up and kept all hers. in saying that i lost over 400 contacts thousands of photos i had and over 30000 songs i had. will never use verizon cloud again.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Gori View Post
    So a bunch of people answered who never used it. Typical.
    We used it, we kept getting a warning saying we were out of space, because we were. We use Google and get 15 GB which takes care of the problem, and the pictures can also be stored on other sites.

Yes usually I use the cloud to backup contacts, pictures, video, etc. As you are aware about only to save your contacts in G-mail and what about your pictures and videos which eventually takes more memory space. You also have to ensure about privacy of your personnel videos and images. So just go for secured Cloud storage solution. I recommend you Free Cloud Storage. You can easily log-in from your favourite social media account. And also you don,t need to install it. Just go for that.
    beh

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

I use Dropbox for photos, Google Drive and OneDrive for backup and general documents etc., and Tresorit for clients data.
    Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910V
    Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V
    Galaxy Note 8 SGH-1467
    Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    Dropbox mostly for my phone stuff. But My Backup PRO also has a cloud back up option for phone backups.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Does my backup pro do a good job with setting up a new device from an old backup? I used to use titanium backup but I don't root anymore so that isn't an option for me now. I was looking for a replacement.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by sforsyth01 View Post
    Does my backup pro do a good job with setting up a new device from an old backup? I used to use titanium backup but I don't root anymore so that isn't an option for me now. I was looking for a replacement.

-Shawn
    Maybe Helium. I'm planning on trying it also.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Maybe Helium. I'm planning on trying it also.
    Helium is rated very well but I don't like that I have to connect the phone to the computer every time I reboot it to make it work.

-Shawn
    Thanked by:

Helium is rated very well but I don't like that I have to connect the phone to the computer every time I reboot it to make it work.

-Shawn
    Oh I didn't know you need a computer to use helium. I thought it backed up to a cloud. Hm, if that's the case I can't use it either. :/

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Oh I didn't know you need a computer to use helium. I thought it backed up to a cloud. Hm, if that's the case I can't use it either. :/
    It does back up to the cloud. But you have to connect it to a computer to activate it or something. Has something to do with needing to trick the phone into giving it the right permissions. This isn't needed if you are rooted.

-Shawn
    Thanked by:

It does back up to the cloud. But you have to connect it to a computer to activate it or something. Has something to do with needing to trick the phone into giving it the right permissions. This isn't needed if you are rooted.

-Shawn
    Ah ha. Oh well. Maybe when I get one.

Hey Vaughn, it sounds interesting. What is it? No name or link in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay Mcbride View Post
    Hey Vaughn, it sounds interesting. What is it? No name or link in your post.
    Helium, for backing up your phone data.