Note 3 Super Slow wake-up/ wake-up lag

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had the note 3 since its was available on Verizon. I use a pattern lock screen. The issue I am having is how slow the device wakes up from the home or power button. It is completely random and seems to malfunction when timing is most crucial. I have all of my animations turned off via developer options. I deleted the lock screen all together. NOTHING has helped. I have switched out two devices for this problem. The delay can be up to 5-8 seconds. Sometimes if you click the home button the screen will pop up and disappear, pressing it more than once will literally send you into an frenzy. I will say that when operating the phone it performs better than any other phone I've owned. I know I can call Verizon and have a replacement sent overnight, but it is thoroughly annoying going through and customizing a brand new phone, over and over and over again. Does anyone have a fix for this issue??? I've checked my running apps, turned animation off, deleted my lock screen, switched devices... Please note that I am not being an anal overzealous user, this issue really effects the entire standard of usability.

I would switch devices all together but I have the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch ( which I LOVE and got for $170 @ Verizon ) and I dont want to switch for an S4.

I cannot deal with this issue forever, if it persists the watch and phone are going back to the big red.. :(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had the note 3 since its was available on Verizon. I use a pattern lock screen. The issue I am having is how slow the device wakes up from the home or power button. It is completely random and seems to malfunction when timing is most crucial. I have all of my animations turned off via developer options. I deleted the lock screen all together. NOTHING has helped. I have switched out two devices for this problem. The delay can be up to 5-8 seconds. Sometimes if you click the home button the screen will pop up and disappear, pressing it more than once will literally send you into an frenzy. I will say that when operating the phone it performs better than any other phone I've owned. I know I can call Verizon and have a replacement sent overnight, but it is thoroughly annoying going through and customizing a brand new phone, over and over and over again. Does anyone have a fix for this issue??? I've checked my running apps, turned animation off, deleted my lock screen, switched devices... Please note that I am not being an anal overzealous user, this issue really effects the entire standard of usability.

I would switch devices all together but I have the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch ( which I LOVE and got for $170 @ Verizon ) and I dont want to switch for an S4.

I cannot deal with this issue forever, if it persists the watch and phone are going back to the big red.. :(

Welcome to the forums.
Has it always been like this?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I know exactly what you're talking about in delay terms (but no where near as long as you've seen) but I can't replicate it at this moment. I've seen it take a second to turn on before but its random as you said. Just now it was instant. This issue was complained about on the Note 2 also so I wouldn't expect it to get any better. Are you seriously waiting 8 seconds? That's more than I've ever seen. Try and go without your SD Card if you have one installed. Maybe it'd causing a conflict.

Please note that I'm using the swipe unlock with no security and I experience this. Its not any specific lock option from the looks of it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what you're talking about in delay terms (but no where near as long as you've seen) but I can't replicate it at this moment. I've seen it take a second to turn on before but its random as you said. Just now it was instant. This issue was complained about on the Note 2 also so I wouldn't expect it to get any better. Are you seriously waiting 8 seconds? That's more than I've ever seen. Try and go without your SD Card if you have one installed. Maybe it'd causing a conflict.

Please note that I'm using the swipe unlock with no security and I experience this. Its not any specific lock option from the looks of it.

Perhaps a clearing of the cache in recovery then? Especially, if you have received and update.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had no problems at all, I know you don't want to hear this, but I feel this is app related, factory reset, add your apps back a few at a time and test. Are you using TW or a different launcher?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problems at all, I know you don't want to hear this, but I feel this is app related, factory reset, add your apps back a few at a time and test.

If it comes to this be sure to deselect the option to automatically restore settings and apps.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
8 seconds does occur, infrequently as a worse case. Sometimes the device doesn't respond to the initial attempt at all. I do however, have an SD card installed that was subsequently removed by the Note 3 or so i speculate, its an old card it could have just died of natural causes. Nonetheless I will remove and update to whether this has had any positive outcome. Thank you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Dude, I removed my SD and although its only been roughly 10 minutes, I used to be able to replicate the issue on hand, I have never seen it wake up instantly this many times consecutively...Thank you thank you thank you

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Dude, I removed my SD and although its only been roughly 10 minutes, I used to be able to replicate the issue on hand, I have never seen it wake up instantly this many times consecutively...Thank you thank you thank you

If it continues to work you may want to consider a new SD Card if you need the external storage. I loved SD Cards but after using the Maxx I don't care anymore. I do have one installed though but if it begins to fail than I'll deal with it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I decided to remove my SD Card to test the performance increase and I notice a smoother wake up. I was perfectly happy with the 32GB of on board storage on my Droid Maxx so I'm going that route once again. No more SD Cards for me.

Lucid Droid

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Do you have the samsung (watch on) app? I Found this solution from another post: go to your (all apps)and find samsumg watchOn, do NOT force stop, instead, disable or turn off then restart phone. It worked on my S4.

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Had a 1 to sometimes even 2 second delay here on tmobile buy kitkat has fixed that for me. But then again idk when Verizon will get it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hexed10

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi, new here, been using my Note 3 since October, no issue then. I noticed this delay which started around November. I had to restart the phone every four days to prevent this lag, then, January, became every two days, then today, just 24 hours after a restart, it already lagged like hell, I'm talking about 15seconds lag here. This is very annoying and I am not sure which app is causing this.

I'm sorry, I do not know how to clear the cache in the recovery section some of you are suggesting here, not using any sort of SD card either. I have on theory, could it be because of the excessive amount of text messages stored in my device? I mean it should be a powerful device and theoretically should not lag because of the number of messages. Just go give you an idea, I have around 10k text messages from one person alone, put all together I think 12k might be a good number. Samsung default messaging app could not handle that number anymore and starts to lag at around 8.5k so I installed GO SMS which solved the typing lag.

By the way, the lag disappears every time I restart the phone. Deleted some apps I rarely use today, and hoping for the best within 24 hours.

anmance

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I had similar issues with wake on my s4. Sounds crazy but problem was solved when I disabled personal message on lock screen and left only clock.

Hawkhe

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Some reason I started getting a delay waking my phone so I turned off all the widgets and I still has the problem and then I disable my message and its fine... That is just ridiculous.

jedi105

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
How funny you mention that WatchOn app. I was reading this post getting annoyed because I sometimes see a definite delay in the screen turning on. I couldn't figure it out but then I see this answer and bam...it hits me. When I use my phone at work, the delay is perhaps 1 to 2 seconds, nothing I cant wait for, but when I'm at home on my wi-fi network, the phone will sometimes take quite a bit of time to turn the screen on. I just remembered it because the WatchOn app has the remote control widget from the lock screen. Maybe this widget is whats causing the delay. When I get home tonight, I'll disable the widget since I only use it to show off, and see what happens.