Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 Super Slow wake-up/ wake-up lag

I've had the note 3 since its was available on Verizon. I use a pattern lock screen. The issue I am having is how slow the device wakes up from the home or power button. It is completely random and seems to malfunction when timing is most crucial. I have all of my animations turned off via developer options. I deleted the lock screen all together. NOTHING has helped. I have switched out two devices for this problem. The delay can be up to 5-8 seconds. Sometimes if you click the home button the screen will pop up and disappear, pressing it more than once will literally send you into an frenzy. I will say that when operating the phone it performs better than any other phone I've owned. I know I can call Verizon and have a replacement sent overnight, but it is thoroughly annoying going through and customizing a brand new phone, over and over and over again. Does anyone have a fix for this issue??? I've checked my running apps, turned animation off, deleted my lock screen, switched devices... Please note that I am not being an anal overzealous user, this issue really effects the entire standard of usability.

I would switch devices all together but I have the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch ( which I LOVE and got for $170 @ Verizon ) and I dont want to switch for an S4.

I cannot deal with this issue forever, if it persists the watch and phone are going back to the big red..

Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts

Default Re: Note 3 Super Slow wake-up/ wake-up lag

Mine is lightning fast with lock screen secured with PIN. Hmmm.

Global Posts
    19,788 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by billbrobaggins View Post
    I've had the note 3 since its was available on Verizon. I use a pattern lock screen. The issue I am having is how slow the device wakes up from the home or power button. It is completely random and seems to malfunction when timing is most crucial. I have all of my animations turned off via developer options. I deleted the lock screen all together. NOTHING has helped. I have switched out two devices for this problem. The delay can be up to 5-8 seconds. Sometimes if you click the home button the screen will pop up and disappear, pressing it more than once will literally send you into an frenzy. I will say that when operating the phone it performs better than any other phone I've owned. I know I can call Verizon and have a replacement sent overnight, but it is thoroughly annoying going through and customizing a brand new phone, over and over and over again. Does anyone have a fix for this issue??? I've checked my running apps, turned animation off, deleted my lock screen, switched devices... Please note that I am not being an anal overzealous user, this issue really effects the entire standard of usability.

I would switch devices all together but I have the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch ( which I LOVE and got for $170 @ Verizon ) and I dont want to switch for an S4.

I cannot deal with this issue forever, if it persists the watch and phone are going back to the big red..
    Welcome to the forums.
    Has it always been like this?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I know exactly what you're talking about in delay terms (but no where near as long as you've seen) but I can't replicate it at this moment. I've seen it take a second to turn on before but its random as you said. Just now it was instant. This issue was complained about on the Note 2 also so I wouldn't expect it to get any better. Are you seriously waiting 8 seconds? That's more than I've ever seen. Try and go without your SD Card if you have one installed. Maybe it'd causing a conflict.

Please note that I'm using the swipe unlock with no security and I experience this. Its not any specific lock option from the looks of it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    19,788 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about in delay terms (but no where near as long as you've seen) but I can't replicate it at this moment. I've seen it take a second to turn on before but its random as you said. Just now it was instant. This issue was complained about on the Note 2 also so I wouldn't expect it to get any better. Are you seriously waiting 8 seconds? That's more than I've ever seen. Try and go without your SD Card if you have one installed. Maybe it'd causing a conflict.

Please note that I'm using the swipe unlock with no security and I experience this. Its not any specific lock option from the looks of it.

Perhaps a clearing of the cache in recovery then? Especially, if you have received and update.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I've had no problems at all, I know you don't want to hear this, but I feel this is app related, factory reset, add your apps back a few at a time and test. Are you using TW or a different launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    I've had no problems at all, I know you don't want to hear this, but I feel this is app related, factory reset, add your apps back a few at a time and test.
    If it comes to this be sure to deselect the option to automatically restore settings and apps.

Golfdriver97 likes this.

If it comes to this be sure to deselect the option to automatically restore settings and apps.

Eclipse is absolutely correct, I should have mentioned that.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

8 seconds does occur, infrequently as a worse case. Sometimes the device doesn't respond to the initial attempt at all. I do however, have an SD card installed that was subsequently removed by the Note 3 or so i speculate, its an old card it could have just died of natural causes. Nonetheless I will remove and update to whether this has had any positive outcome. Thank you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I will try this, and let you all know what the word is. Thanks for the welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Perhaps a clearing of the cache in recovery then? Especially, if you have received and update.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Dude, I removed my SD and although its only been roughly 10 minutes, I used to be able to replicate the issue on hand, I have never seen it wake up instantly this many times consecutively...Thank you thank you thank you

Thanked by:

Dude, I removed my SD and although its only been roughly 10 minutes, I used to be able to replicate the issue on hand, I have never seen it wake up instantly this many times consecutively...Thank you thank you thank you
    If it continues to work you may want to consider a new SD Card if you need the external storage. I loved SD Cards but after using the Maxx I don't care anymore. I do have one installed though but if it begins to fail than I'll deal with it.

I decided to remove my SD Card to test the performance increase and I notice a smoother wake up. I was perfectly happy with the 32GB of on board storage on my Droid Maxx so I'm going that route once again. No more SD Cards for me.

Do you have the samsung (watch on) app? I Found this solution from another post: go to your (all apps)and find samsumg watchOn, do NOT force stop, instead, disable or turn off then restart phone. It worked on my S4.

If you've swapped out multiple times it has to be app/usage related, we just have to determine what's causing it :-).

Note 3 ~ 5s

Had a 1 to sometimes even 2 second delay here on tmobile buy kitkat has fixed that for me. But then again idk when Verizon will get it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Hi, new here, been using my Note 3 since October, no issue then. I noticed this delay which started around November. I had to restart the phone every four days to prevent this lag, then, January, became every two days, then today, just 24 hours after a restart, it already lagged like hell, I'm talking about 15seconds lag here. This is very annoying and I am not sure which app is causing this.

I'm sorry, I do not know how to clear the cache in the recovery section some of you are suggesting here, not using any sort of SD card either. I have on theory, could it be because of the excessive amount of text messages stored in my device? I mean it should be a powerful device and theoretically should not lag because of the number of messages. Just go give you an idea, I have around 10k text messages from one person alone, put all together I think 12k might be a good number. Samsung default messaging app could not handle that number anymore and starts to lag at around 8.5k so I installed GO SMS which solved the typing lag.

By the way, the lag disappears every time I restart the phone. Deleted some apps I rarely use today, and hoping for the best within 24 hours.

I had similar issues with wake on my s4. Sounds crazy but problem was solved when I disabled personal message on lock screen and left only clock.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Some reason I started getting a delay waking my phone so I turned off all the widgets and I still has the problem and then I disable my message and its fine... That is just ridiculous.

How funny you mention that WatchOn app. I was reading this post getting annoyed because I sometimes see a definite delay in the screen turning on. I couldn't figure it out but then I see this answer and bam...it hits me. When I use my phone at work, the delay is perhaps 1 to 2 seconds, nothing I cant wait for, but when I'm at home on my wi-fi network, the phone will sometimes take quite a bit of time to turn the screen on. I just remembered it because the WatchOn app has the remote control widget from the lock screen. Maybe this widget is whats causing the delay. When I get home tonight, I'll disable the widget since I only use it to show off, and see what happens.

I believe the issue is the fact that the phone is in a DEEP sleep. After the initial slow wake up, the subsequent ones are normal.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was experiencing a slight delay after 4.4.2 update.
    Booting into recovery mode and wiping cache cleared it up!
    Can't believe I didn't think of that before *Facepalm*
    Thanks!!

I had this exact same problem. SD card was playing funny buggers as well and then 8 sec lag on wake up. As soon as I removed the SD card it was fixed. WTF? The SD card is fine but the phone doesn't like it.

Same here. After removing SD card everythings just fine. Will keep monitoring a week before I make any solid conclusion.
    I am using Samsung 64GB Class 10 SD Card.
    As far as I know Android KitKat 4.4.2 has support issue for external SD. So may be Google is the one to blame.

Do you use the official case, with the sview? If so the new update doesn't work with it. Take the case off and reset. Mine is now perfect
    Last edited by RussSauntry; 04-25-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast