Buying New Note 3 This Friday

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Paying retail so that I can keep my unlimited. I would however like them to add the warranty coverage that they offer (I think it's $ per month or something), so that if something happens to the phone I can exchange it. This won't cause a change in contract or cause me to lose my unlimited by doing that will it?

Thanks in advance.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Paying retail so that I can keep my unlimited. I would however like them to add the warranty coverage that they offer (I think it's $ per month or something), so that if something happens to the phone I can exchange it. This won't cause a change in contract or cause me to lose my unlimited by doing that will it?

Thanks in advance.

Several options for insurance, you do not have to buy it through your carrier, since you are buying at retail you would have to deal directly with Samsung during your 1 year warranty period anyway i believe

Fireman2252

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Safeware is where it's at. You insure for the total amount and have a $50 deductible that they take out of your payout. I have used them for a claim once and they paid out no problem. I insure all mine and the wife's devices through them. They also cover theft which most others do not.

RetNavy

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

I bought my phone out right and kept my unlimited data plan. I just walked into Verizon and told them I wanted to purchase the phone with cash (my credit card) and keep my same plan. No problem, I've had my phone and same plan for 5 months. I bought the insurance also. I hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Johnny Umphress

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Note 3 for retail from an eBay seller (used) and nothing on my plan changed. Also, I went to Samsung.com and registered the phone and they sent me an email that I have a full year warranty for registering through them.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Insurance is an option for your line, not phone. You just activate the new phone and nothing should change.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
OP - don't just ask them, make them put it in writing. Better yet, make sure you get the store manager to put it in writing. You'll stand a much better chance of defending yourself down the road if you get switched. Good luck.

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I chose to buy insurance from http://m.squaretrade.com/m/smartphone

The cost for a Squaretrade plan is only $125 for two years of coverage as opposed to the $8 per month that Verizon charges. The Squaretrade deductible for a replacement phone is $75 while the Verizon smartphone deductible is $100. Unlike the Verizon plan, it doesn't reimburse for lost phones.

I actually got my Squaretrade plan for $100 through Costco when I purchased my Note 3.

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
When I follow the link above it automatically applies a $25 coupon bringing the price down to $100.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The cost for a Squaretrade plan is only $125 for two years of coverage as opposed to the $8 per month that Verizon charges. The Squaretrade deductible for a replacement phone is $75 while the Verizon smartphone deductible is $100. Unlike the Verizon plan, it doesn't reimburse for lost phones.

I actually got my Squaretrade plan for $100 through Costco when I purchased my Note 3.

Square trade doesn't cover loss or theft and only covers the specific device serial which was registered and only covers up to the cost of the device(which depending on the damage could just be one claim) .

With Verizon, insurance is $5/mo(if you want it combined with extended warranty then it is $8), covers loss and theft and covers 2 replacements a year.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

There are limitations to square trade. Maximum payout is the purchase price of the device (so this could mean multiple or just one claim). They also don't cover loss or theft.

Verizon asurion is $5/mo for insurance (add $3 more to add extended warranty) and covers loss and theft and 2 warranty replacements a year.

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon told me $10 a month premium for Total Equipment Protection (which includes accidental damage) and a $99 deductible on a Note 3 if something should happen.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon told me $10 a month premium for Total Equipment Protection (which includes accidental damage) and a $99 deductible on a Note 3 if something should happen.

Total Equipment coverage(TEC) is $8 (Android) or $9.99(iPhone) and includes extended warranty and asurion insurance. No deductible for extended warranty claim, $99(Android) or up to $199(iPhone) deductible for insurance claim.

Total Mobile Protection is $10 and includes TEC and tech coach

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up, but I wonder why they would tell me that.

What is Tec Coach

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up, but I wonder why they would tell me that.

What is Tec Coach

It is supposedly better customer service.

Why? Because it is an easy $2 for them. And it is the highest package they offer. Now for iphone users, it is only a penny more

" benefits
1Unlike traditional support, you don?t have to call multiple numbers, and won?t have to wait or be bounced around to different people.
2From set-up and troubleshooting to simply discovering new features, our technicians are focused on helping you unlock your device's potential ? so you can be more productive and stay connected. Conveniently reach a live support technician in seconds with one click on the Verizon Mobile Protection app right on your device, or simply call 1.800.922.0204 and select option 3."

https://totalmobileprotection.verizonwireless.com/public/device-support

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I called Verizon this morning to verify everything. The guy (Jesse) that I spoke with explained that there are 3 different tiers for insurance coverage.

He explained that all 3 plans cover accidental damage...good.

He also explained that the deductible on the Note 3 for any of these plans is $99...good.

There are 3 plans...

$5
$8
$10

$5 is a basic insurance and covers your phone incase of accidents. $99 deductible

$8 extends the manufacturer's warranty by an extra year (phone comes with one year, and covers your phone if it randomly crashes or bricked by itself) and covers accidents $99 deductible

$10 offers the same coverage as the $8 plan but includes technical support for any electronics problem you may have...including setup, troubleshooting, viruses, etc on any device. It also expedites the insurance replacement from 3-5 days to overnight replacement.

Is it worth it...personally, I changed my plan to the basic $5 plan

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I called Verizon this morning to verify everything. The guy (Jesse) that I spoke with explained that there are 3 different tiers for insurance coverage.

He explained that all 3 plans cover accidental damage...good.

He also explained that the deductible on the Note 3 for any of these plans is $99...good.

There are 3 plans...

$5
$8
$10

$5 is a basic insurance and covers your phone incase of accidents. $99 deductible

$8 extends the manufacturer's warranty by an extra year (phone comes with one year, and covers your phone if it randomly crashes or bricked by itself) and covers accidents $99 deductible

$10 offers the same coverage as the $8 plan but includes technical support for any electronics problem you may have...including setup, troubleshooting, viruses, etc on any device. It also expedites the insurance replacement from 3-5 days to overnight replacement.

Is it worth it...personally, I changed my plan to the basic $5 plan

Depends on your needs I guess. If you do not keep your phone over a year then the $5 plan is fine.

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What does a year matter? Your covered either way as long as you pay the premium. To me, the manufacturer's warranty is essentially useless anyway. A $99 deductible isn't that big of a deal to warrant an extra $3 to $5 a month. Most of the time it's going to be the user themselves who present the need for replacements and not the phone randomly going to hell. Your still paying $36 with the $8 premium and $60 with the $10 premium (yearly) BECAUSE of the increase in the premium...and that's only IF you didn't cause the damage...and usually that's a big IF.

My point is save yourself the extra $36 or $60 yearly, enjoy the one year manufacturer's warranty that's already in place while paying the $5.18 (monthly) deductible just in case you happen to accidentally ruin your device. I doubt not that many carry the same exact phone for the full 24 months. Even with a subsidized contract it's usually only 21 months anyway.

I guess if a person is that worried about it they could pay the $5.18 for up to a year and then go into a Verizon location before that year is over and show them the phone. Then switch to the $8 monthly premium to extend the Manufacturer's warranty for an extra year while saving $36.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool