Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Buying New Note 3 This Friday

Paying retail so that I can keep my unlimited. I would however like them to add the warranty coverage that they offer (I think it's $ per month or something), so that if something happens to the phone I can exchange it. This won't cause a change in contract or cause me to lose my unlimited by doing that will it?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Buying New Note 3 This Friday

Ask them?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by rawr66 View Post
    Ask them?
    Obviously I can ask them, thanks. It takes one kid who "thinks so" and I lose my unlimited. Anyone here ever buy one new an get the monthly warranty coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by Puterguru View Post
    Paying retail so that I can keep my unlimited. I would however like them to add the warranty coverage that they offer (I think it's $ per month or something), so that if something happens to the phone I can exchange it. This won't cause a change in contract or cause me to lose my unlimited by doing that will it?

Thanks in advance.
    Several options for insurance, you do not have to buy it through your carrier, since you are buying at retail you would have to deal directly with Samsung during your 1 year warranty period anyway i believe

Safeware is where it's at. You insure for the total amount and have a $50 deductible that they take out of your payout. I have used them for a claim once and they paid out no problem. I insure all mine and the wife's devices through them. They also cover theft which most others do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Puterguru View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I bought my phone out right and kept my unlimited data plan. I just walked into Verizon and told them I wanted to purchase the phone with cash (my credit card) and keep my same plan. No problem, I've had my phone and same plan for 5 months. I bought the insurance also. I hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I bought my Note 3 for retail from an eBay seller (used) and nothing on my plan changed. Also, I went to Samsung.com and registered the phone and they sent me an email that I have a full year warranty for registering through them.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Insurance is an option for your line, not phone. You just activate the new phone and nothing should change.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts

OP - don't just ask them, make them put it in writing. Better yet, make sure you get the store manager to put it in writing. You'll stand a much better chance of defending yourself down the road if you get switched. Good luck.

I chose to buy insurance from http://m.squaretrade.com/m/smartphone

The cost for a Squaretrade plan is only $125 for two years of coverage as opposed to the $8 per month that Verizon charges. The Squaretrade deductible for a replacement phone is $75 while the Verizon smartphone deductible is $100. Unlike the Verizon plan, it doesn't reimburse for lost phones.

I actually got my Squaretrade plan for $100 through Costco when I purchased my Note 3.

When I follow the link above it automatically applies a $25 coupon bringing the price down to $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Kettle View Post

The cost for a Squaretrade plan is only $125 for two years of coverage as opposed to the $8 per month that Verizon charges. The Squaretrade deductible for a replacement phone is $75 while the Verizon smartphone deductible is $100. Unlike the Verizon plan, it doesn't reimburse for lost phones.

I actually got my Squaretrade plan for $100 through Costco when I purchased my Note 3.

Square trade doesn't cover loss or theft and only covers the specific device serial which was registered and only covers up to the cost of the device(which depending on the damage could just be one claim) .

With Verizon, insurance is $5/mo(if you want it combined with extended warranty then it is $8), covers loss and theft and covers 2 replacements a year.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Kettle View Post

There are limitations to square trade. Maximum payout is the purchase price of the device (so this could mean multiple or just one claim). They also don't cover loss or theft.

Verizon asurion is $5/mo for insurance (add $3 more to add extended warranty) and covers loss and theft and 2 warranty replacements a year.

Verizon told me $10 a month premium for Total Equipment Protection (which includes accidental damage) and a $99 deductible on a Note 3 if something should happen.

"aliter ictus diversis folks"

Quote Originally Posted by mfldmike View Post
    Verizon told me $10 a month premium for Total Equipment Protection (which includes accidental damage) and a $99 deductible on a Note 3 if something should happen.

Total Equipment coverage(TEC) is $8 (Android) or $9.99(iPhone) and includes extended warranty and asurion insurance. No deductible for extended warranty claim, $99(Android) or up to $199(iPhone) deductible for insurance claim.

Total Mobile Protection is $10 and includes TEC and tech coach

Thanks for clearing that up, but I wonder why they would tell me that.

What is Tec Coach

Thanks for clearing that up, but I wonder why they would tell me that.

What is Tec Coach

It is supposedly better customer service.

Why? Because it is an easy $2 for them. And it is the highest package they offer. Now for iphone users, it is only a penny more

" benefits
    1Unlike traditional support, you dont have to call multiple numbers, and wont have to wait or be bounced around to different people.
    2From set-up and troubleshooting to simply discovering new features, our technicians are focused on helping you unlock your device's potential so you can be more productive and stay connected. Conveniently reach a live support technician in seconds with one click on the Verizon Mobile Protection app right on your device, or simply call 1.800.922.0204 and select option 3."

https://totalmobileprotection.verizo...device-support

So I called Verizon this morning to verify everything. The guy (Jesse) that I spoke with explained that there are 3 different tiers for insurance coverage.

He explained that all 3 plans cover accidental damage...good.

He also explained that the deductible on the Note 3 for any of these plans is $99...good.

There are 3 plans...

$5
    $8
    $10

$5 is a basic insurance and covers your phone incase of accidents. $99 deductible

$8 extends the manufacturer's warranty by an extra year (phone comes with one year, and covers your phone if it randomly crashes or bricked by itself) and covers accidents $99 deductible

$10 offers the same coverage as the $8 plan but includes technical support for any electronics problem you may have...including setup, troubleshooting, viruses, etc on any device. It also expedites the insurance replacement from 3-5 days to overnight replacement.

Is it worth it...personally, I changed my plan to the basic $5 plan

So I called Verizon this morning to verify everything. The guy (Jesse) that I spoke with explained that there are 3 different tiers for insurance coverage.

He explained that all 3 plans cover accidental damage...good.

He also explained that the deductible on the Note 3 for any of these plans is $99...good.

There are 3 plans...

$5
    $8
    $10

$5 is a basic insurance and covers your phone incase of accidents. $99 deductible

$8 extends the manufacturer's warranty by an extra year (phone comes with one year, and covers your phone if it randomly crashes or bricked by itself) and covers accidents $99 deductible

$10 offers the same coverage as the $8 plan but includes technical support for any electronics problem you may have...including setup, troubleshooting, viruses, etc on any device. It also expedites the insurance replacement from 3-5 days to overnight replacement.

Is it worth it...personally, I changed my plan to the basic $5 plan

Depends on your needs I guess. If you do not keep your phone over a year then the $5 plan is fine.

What does a year matter? Your covered either way as long as you pay the premium. To me, the manufacturer's warranty is essentially useless anyway. A $99 deductible isn't that big of a deal to warrant an extra $3 to $5 a month. Most of the time it's going to be the user themselves who present the need for replacements and not the phone randomly going to hell. Your still paying $36 with the $8 premium and $60 with the $10 premium (yearly) BECAUSE of the increase in the premium...and that's only IF you didn't cause the damage...and usually that's a big IF.

My point is save yourself the extra $36 or $60 yearly, enjoy the one year manufacturer's warranty that's already in place while paying the $5.18 (monthly) deductible just in case you happen to accidentally ruin your device. I doubt not that many carry the same exact phone for the full 24 months. Even with a subsidized contract it's usually only 21 months anyway.

I guess if a person is that worried about it they could pay the $5.18 for up to a year and then go into a Verizon location before that year is over and show them the phone. Then switch to the $8 monthly premium to extend the Manufacturer's warranty for an extra year while saving $36.

Last edited by mfldmike; 01-18-2014 at 08:43 AM.

What does a year matter? Your covered either way as long as you pay the premium. To me, the manufacturer's warranty is essentially useless anyway. A $99 deductible isn't that big of a deal to warrant an extra $3 to $5 a month. Most of the time it's going to be the user themselves who present the need for replacements and not the phone randomly going to hell. Your still paying $36 with the $8 premium and $60 with the $10 premium (yearly) BECAUSE of the increase in the premium...and that's only IF you didn't cause the damage...and usually that's a big IF.

My point is save yourself the extra $36 or $60 yearly, enjoy the one year manufacturer's warranty that's already in place while paying the $5.18 (monthly) deductible just in case you happen to accidentally ruin your device. I doubt not that many carry the same exact phone for the full 24 months. Even with a subsidized contract it's usually only 21 months anyway.

I guess if a person is that worried about it they could pay the $5.18 for up to a year and then go into a Verizon location before that year is over and show them the phone. Then switch to the $8 monthly premium to extend the Manufacturer's warranty for an extra year while saving $36.

You can only add extended warranty and asurion insurance within 30 days of equipment purchase or during open enrollment.

If extended warranty is an option in your area then asurion insurance won't cover mechanical defects. Some have suggested that you physically damage the phone to get asurion insurance to cover it but that is insurance fraud.

Verizon 2 years contract requires 2 years, not a day less. You can not upgrade early anymore.

I have used the extended warranty a few times already within the past few years. Well worth it for me. But as with any warranty /insurance, each person must determine what coverage if any is right for them.

Thanked by:

I was informed by my local Verizon that if I physically bring in the phone and they verify that everything's working and there is no physical damage, you can ad insurance whenever you want...maybe it's different by location.

I was informed by my local Verizon that if I physically bring in the phone and they verify that everything's working and there is no physical damage, you can ad insurance whenever you want...maybe it's different by location.

The terms are pretty clear

" To be eligible for any equipment protection program, you must enroll within 30 days of one of the following:
    -New account activation with new equipment
    -Upgrade with new equipment purchase."

http://support.verizonwireless.com/s...rotection.html

I know what the terms say I did read them, but your forgetting not everything is cut and dry...there is the human factor. Not everyone is going to refer to TOS every time you request a change to your account, which is why my local Verizon gave a different account than what the TOS refers. Now with that being said, a person shouldn't soley rely on it either.

Back to the OP's issue though, just pay the $5.18 a month and you'll be set

I know what the terms say I did read them, but your forgetting not everything is cut and dry...there is the human factor. Not everyone is going to refer to TOS every time you request a change to your account, which is why my local Verizon gave a different account than what the TOS refers. Now with that being said, a person shouldn't soley rely on it either.

Back to the OP's issue though, just pay the $5.18 a month and you'll be set

To me, a verbal promise means little. In a year, it will be a he said she said situation. I have been burned before listening to a promise of a rep that isn't written. It is up to you If you want to take that risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast