1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default PDA Net update claims Kit Kat will end wifi at least for now

I had a PDA net update available. It claims the wifi ability will likely be killed by Kit Kat update. I'm sure the carriers are responsible. I also heard the FTC is looking into the whole issue of recharging you for data you already paid for. Hopefully PDA net will have a fix, if not I will be rooting my first Android phone as soon as the option is available on Kit Kat.

Default Re: PDA Net update claims Kit Kat will end wifi at least for now

Quote Originally Posted by jim2112 View Post
    I had a PDA net update available. It claims the wifi ability will likely be killed by Kit Kat update. I'm sure the carriers are responsible. I also heard the FTC is looking into the whole issue of recharging you for data you already paid for. Hopefully PDA net will have a fix, if not I will be rooting my first Android phone as soon as the option is available on Kit Kat.
    Are you saying that you won't be able to tether... Or kitkat will disable the wifi on your phone?

If it's the 2nd part... You read wrong.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The message was that after Kit Kat update, PDA net would lose the ability to supply a wifi hotspot. PDA net should still work with Bluetooth and a physical tether. They also explain this is due to the service provider, not PDA Net. Hopefully there will be a fix, or there will be a root in my future.

The note 3 comes on 4.3 right? And pdanet still works to give free Wi-Fi tether as of now? Thinking of picking one up and this would affect the timing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

You're not talking about my home network where I my phone connects to my home wifi are you?

*** Deb *** Via my Note 2 on Tapatalk
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes. Mine currently works fine with Foxfi from PDA Net app. The rumor was that the Kit Kat update would eventually kill PDA net's ability to provide wifi. I'm sure this is a Verizon thing, but it works fine today.

I was excited about kit kat until I found out ppl were having issues with their foxfi hotspot. So whenever Verizon's note 3 gets kit kat I'll be denying the update till there is a fix, although Verizon is always dead last for OTA updates so hopefully Foxfi will push out a fix by then!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by alxarambula View Post
    I was excited about kit kat until I found out ppl were having issues with their foxfi hotspot. So whenever Verizon's note 3 gets kit kat I'll be denying the update till there is a fix, although Verizon is always dead last for OTA updates so hopefully Foxfi will push out a fix by then!

Posted via Android Central App
    Hate to sound pessimistic but updates have to be tuned to carriers as well.

if you can read this, you're standing too close