Car charger question

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just picked up a Note 3 for my wife last night and of course the Verizon store tried to sell me a case, screen protectors & a car charger. When I mentioned she already had a micro USB car charger I was told that since it is only 1 amp it will charger slower than a 2.1 amp charger (duh) and eventually destroy the battery. The part of me that understand electricity (not the best but good enough to get by) thinks they are feeding me a line of BS. Anyone else told the same thing at their Verizon store or have supporting evidence?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up a Note 3 for my wife last night and of course the Verizon store tried to sell me a case, screen protectors & a car charger. When I mentioned she already had a micro USB car charger I was told that since it is only 1 amp it will charger slower than a 2.1 amp charger (duh) and eventually destroy the battery. The part of me that understand electricity (not the best but good enough to get by) thinks they are feeding me a line of BS. Anyone else told the same thing at their Verizon store or have supporting evidence?

It'll charge slower, but I doubt it will "destroy" the battery

Posted via Android Central App

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it will charge slower but should not damage the battery. On another note, if you want to set it up to charge fast in a vehicle you can get a higher current charger and a USB3 cable to utilize the faster charge rate. You can always use an extra USB3 cable for the USB3 portable drives too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Actually the opposite is true. If you are charging at 2a and using the phone as navigation, then it would get hotter than charging at 1a. The excessive heat will degrade the battery performance. Charging faster is also worse for battery life. But charging at 1a in the car while navigation is used would be very slow.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You will at least want a 2.1 amp charger, and that is if it's only you using that plug. If you get one with 2 USB outputs, and you have 2 devices (2 Note 3's for instance), then you will want a 4.2 amp charger.

My wife has an iPhone, so I could get away with a 3.1 amp charger while we both use the same plug in the car.

Also, no need for the USB3.0 cable in the car. That will only give you the higher data transfer speeds when connected to a computer with a USB3.0 port. The regular microUSB should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
My thought is that a charger below 2.1 amps will not damage the battery no matter what the Verizon store said.

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The phone will only accept the charge at the max rate it's rated for. No chance of overcharging. That is the way I understand it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Worst case scenario would be that using the 1 amp charger wouldn't'provide enough power to allow having the screen on while using the tablet for GPS. Instead of charging the tablet, it would just lengthen the amount of time you could use the tablet before it powered off due to low charge on the battery.

If this turns out to be the case, then the only way you could use a 1 amp car charger to charge the battery would be to turn off the tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, we don't normally use GAS due to our data limit

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

I was just using that for an example. The biggest drain on your battery is the display, so using any app that requires keeping the display turned on is going to have the same results as my previous example.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Slower charging is actually better for a Li-Ion battery. It doesn't heat the battery nearly as much, and heat and overcharging are the real killers of batteries.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk