1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default RF Interference 802.11 Problems

My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 tells me there are no mobile networks available. However, it only tells me this when it's sitting on top of my computer (Dell Studio XPS 9100 - 1TB Drive, 24GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 800GTS) or at least within 3 to 4 feet of it. This is not a new issue. My Samsung Galaxy S4 did the same thing. But, at that time I had a different wireless network card (Linksys AE3000) on my computer. My current network card is the latest greatest Belkin adapter. I've also used D-Link adapters. The OS on the computer has varied, via time, Linux Kubuntu, MS WIndows XP Pro, Vista, 7, now 8.1. In the beginning, I had the same problem with my Motorola Android phones, all the way up through the RAZR.
    Normally, I get three to four bars and 4G. The problem is difficult to describe. When the phone is on or near the computer I can't make phone calls, receive texts, surf the I. Of course, that's because it says there are no mobile networks available. When I move the phone 3 to 4 feet away from the computer I can make calls, send/receive texts, and surf the I. If I'm in a call and I move the phone back near the computer, I remain connected (very, very rarely the call will be lost).
    I can't figure out what's causing this problem. I've called tech support a million times. At first, I thought that it was a problem with Verizon (you know, signal strength). Then, I thought that it was a problem with the phone. Then, I thought that it was the computer lan card. I've changed everything and still have this problem. I'm at the end of my rope. I can't figure it out, which means that it's probably something stupid and simple that I've over-looked (LOL). Therefore, I'm looking for any constructive help that anyone can offer.
    If you have any questions that might help me figure this out I'd most certainly appreciate it. TIA...

Default Re: RF Interference 802.11 Problems

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a USB 3.0 connection on that computer? According to this article from PCMag.com, USB 3.0 connections can cause interference with certain wifi connections:

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That is an absolutely amazing story...
    However, I've never had usb 3 on any of my computer until a few days ago... when I bought a card with 2 ports... so, I'm thankful for the advice... however, I can't imagine that being the problem... in this particular case...
    If you think of anything else, please let me know...

It must be some kind of RF interference that is emanating from your computer. How about the power supply? Considering the monster setup that you have, do you also have a big honkin' power supply? Maybe that's also causing significant RF interference for any device that's right near it.