Note 3: S View cover drained battery??

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I would expect it to drain the battery some but has anyone noticed a significant drain in battery life with the s view cover? My phone would be at 75% at 5pm and now with the sview cover I'll be at like 30% by 5pm. Nothing else had changed with my phone or usage except the cover!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: S View cover drained battery??

I would expect it to drain the battery some but has anyone noticed a significant drain in battery life with the s view cover? My phone would be at 75% at 5pm and now with the sview cover I'll be at like 30% by 5pm. Nothing else had changed with my phone or usage except the cover!

Oohhh...:mad: My God, there might be some sort of software running inside the s view cover:-X go to the nearest support centre and seek for help !! :p :p well, have you gone mad s view cover it has no connection with your battery this is happening because of some application, that is continously running in the back ground and consuming all of your power better to install some battery saver application and from there you can track :cool:which application is consuming most of the power etc... you can also optimize your phone from there and reduce the consumption of the body!! :-$

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Oohhh...:mad: My God, there might be some sort of software running inside the s view cover:-X go to the nearest support centre and seek for help !! :p :p well, have you gone mad s view cover it has no connection with your battery this is happening because of some application, that is continously running in the back ground and consuming all of your power better to install some battery saver application and from there you can track :cool:which application is consuming most of the power etc... you can also optimize your phone from there and reduce the consumption of the body!! :-$

While I appreciate your sarcasm, the s view case WITH wake feature has to run off of some kind of software within the phone hence the chip in the case to use wake and hence the case having an entirely different screen when closed. As well as Kitkat update not supporting a third party s view case. The only way that is possible Is for the case to run off of a software within the phone. I'm not talking about a plain old Bayou s view case. I'm talking about the one with wake feature.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Even though it isn't touching the battery.. The screen still senses when it's there to lock and unlock so that uses something. Also battery saver applications usually use more battery...

I don't use one OP but that is definitely a big drain.. I haven't seen any other people report this yet.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Even though it isn't touching the battery.. The screen still senses when it's there to lock and unlock so that uses something. Also battery saver applications usually use more battery...

I don't use one OP but that is definitely a big drain.. I haven't seen any other people report this yet.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

That was my thought exactly. Just as a trial, today I put my spigen slim Armor back on and It is now almost 4pm and I'm at 89% battery life with no other changes made to the phone.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Actually I switched from the S-View cover to an Otterbox Commuter and I noticed a huge increase in battery life. I only charge every 2 or 3 days, now, as opposed to everyday with the S-View cover.

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Ever since I ditched my S view case, I have had a huge increase in my battery life. My thought is is that it does drain the battery based on my experience with it.

steveL332

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Could your S view cover have inadvertently opened on you? Another person posted elsewhere that the cover had opened while the phone was in her purse, and it quickly drained the battery.

Bpearl2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the Otterbox Commuter and notice my battery lasts about 36 hours of which 20 hours is actaul use time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
After what happened with my phone and cover I don't discount covers causing issues of one kind or another. I started having issues with random reboots. I took my cover off as a test that was like 2 weeks ago I have not had one random reboot since. It makes perfect sense to me is that a cover that has a wake feature would contribute to battery drain.

Deb from my Note 3

beaglejbl

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a 3rd party cover by Spigen on my Note3 running KitKat. Love the case sooo much... but my battery drops like a rock now. I have the exact same issue. I used to go to bed with 50-60% battery, and now my battery is at maybe 5% at best. Did you find a resolution for your issue? I'm going to be poking around and if I can't find anything then it's back to my old case.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I see no difference with or with out it.

I agree with this post. I have my Samsung S-View case on today and took my Note3 off the charger at 7AM, my battery is at 75% 12 hours later with medium to heavy use (email, music, text, phone calls ect.). Last week I used my Spigen Neo Hybrid case and again it's approx the same results. I'm also running Verizon JellyBean OS on my Note3. I'm reluctant to update to KitKat for numerous reasons, one being that MY Note3 is running exceptional on JELLYBEAN OS.

KiltedMP

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I think it has to do something with the sensitivity of magnetometer. Since the S-view covers have a magnet to sense the presence of the cover, I noticed that when I "boosted" the cover magnet by placing a separate magnet on it to increase it's power, the case worked fine. After a day or so, when the magnet seemed to return to normal, the phone started acting up, thinking that the cover was being opened and closed multiple times during the day while the cover was actually closed. I've scrapped the S-view covers for now in preference for a normal cover and improved battery life.

MaryMR

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. After being shut down and fully charged overnight it dropped to 93% within two hours after I turned it back on and I did not use it at all during that time. In Settings>Battery it IDs the S-View cover as the biggest user of the battery. Too bad I paid so much for it, I think I'll have to get something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair