Best messaging app to use for Note 3

atrain311qes109

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to use hangouts, but my only problem is, I use floatifications, and when I reply right from the bubble, it doesn't clear the notification from the notification bar like it does with the stock messaging app. So I feel stuck and forced to keep using the stock app OR not use floatifications.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Graphixx30

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Textra and really like it. I gave EvolveSMS a try but the one thing I did not like about it is when you receive a MMS you can't click on the picture to enlarge it. Am I missing a setting somewhere to allow this?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I use Textra and really like it. I gave EvolveSMS a try but the one thing I did not like about it is when you receive a MMS you can't click on the picture to enlarge it. Am I missing a setting somewhere to allow this?

Try downloading it again, works fine for me, touch pic, opens in gallery. Dev is quick with updates, but I've been using it for some time now and don't recall ever having a problem with MMS, I think the first time it ask which to use, gallery or photos.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Hangouts SMS is just a straight forward SMS app. The "hangout" part of this app, (video calling, like facetime), only works with other google devices or via web on laptop, etc.. So text away!

Thanks! I started using it today and so far, I like it. I didn't really have a problem with the stock app, but I do like the fact that if I have to reset the phone, or change phones, my text message history isn't gone.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I started using it today and so far, I like it. I didn't really have a problem with the stock app, but I do like the fact that if I have to reset the phone, or change phones, my text message history isn't gone.

I like the stock TouchWiz messaging app too. Works fine for me. If you're using Kies, you can backup your MMS/SMS, and a bunch of other stuff. Apps like MyBackup also can backup messages, along with apps, etc. Another option is the Save Messages feature in the stock TouchWiz messaging app. Just a few options that may help in the event a reset is needed, or the time comes to get that Note 4.

Last edited:

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I like the stock TouchWiz messaging app too. Works fine for me. If you're using Kies, you can backup yor MMS/SMS, and a bunch of other stuff. Apps like MyBackup also can backup messages, along with apps, etc. Another option is the Save Messages feature in the stock TouchWiz messaging app. Just a few options that may help in the event a reset is needed, or the time comes to get that Note 4.

Funny thing is, I never had a problem with the stock app either, just like trying different things I guess, kind of liked the look, feel, and customization ability of evolve sms and now I don't think I could go back

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not finding any app called TouchWiz. Do you mean that ugly black Messenger?

Deb from my Note 3

TouchWiz is the entire Android interface on Samsung phones. It's what you see and use for everything. When they referred to TouchWiz as the Messenger app, they mean the stock messenger app in TouchWiz

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I used TW messaging app with no issues ever. I moved to EvolveSMS simply because it worked at least as well as TW messaging and uses the newer Google compliant UI, which I like very much by the by.

Jose Bonet

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the problem also, not able to send pics attached to messages in the stock Samsung Galaxy note 3 texting app.....I tried it with WIFI on and with WIFI off, nothing...it keeps telling me "service not activated on Network"...what does that mean????

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the problem also, not able to send pics attached to messages in the stock Samsung Galaxy note 3 texting app.....I tried it with WIFI on and with WIFI off, nothing...it keeps telling me "service not activated on Network"...what does that mean????

Sounds like you should call your service provider, don't think it's your device.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz is the stock messenger.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You would think with as hard as they work to make everything else on these phones look pretty they would do something about that ugly thing. I don't use it because it is so ugly.

Deb from my Note 3

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just went to look at it again. Apparently they did decide to finally do something about that ugly black thing :)

Deb from my Note 3

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
There are other things to think about when communicating via text or email. Just some thoughts in random order... 1) very large pics may not send well. When I send pics to hubby's dumb phone I reduce pic size 1st. 2) recipient not getting your send could be on ~ their ~ end not necessarily the sender's. 3) temporary network trouble on either end or somewhere in the middle. I'm sure there are more but you should have the idea by now.

Deb

Deb from my Note 3

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I just use Hangouts, it's free, it syncs with your Google account so if you switch phones or reset your phone once you reload the app your messages still appear. Also, you can send a picture regardless of you being on wifi or not with hangouts. I would also expect that you could on the stock messaging app but haven't tried it or used it in quite some time.

Do you find the long vibration awful though? Every time my phone goes off while laying on a surface, it sounds like a fog horn.
It's bothered me enough to switch back to the stock messaging app.

pitzerwm

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Question: I am coming from at HTC Vivid, its messenger app gives me word suggestions, which for this old fart is very nice. I can't seem to find a messenger for my Note 3 that does the same thing. Any suggestions?

I found the setting for the keyboard. Bottom left. Sorry about being stupid.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool