Can't get rid of Touchwiz prompts

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
New to smartphones, new to android, pretty ignorant.
I have done 'something' criminally stupid and can't seem to undo it.

Somehow, I have enabled Touchwiz easy home/Touchwiz home prompts on my Verizon Note 3, and can't get rid of them.

Tried manually forcing-stop to Touchwiz apps, cleared cache, cleared data - nothing, and powering-off/on turned them on again.
Cleared all default several times - nothing.
Searched this forum, found no clear answer (though I may not be aware of what I'm reading).
Searched the Net, & per suggestions, tried deleting updates to Google Search and clearing Calendar data - didn't work.
Tried using 3rd-Party free 'Default Managers' - didn't work.

To make matters worse, when I restart, my home screen configuration goes away; apps that I placed there are gone and apps/widgets that I don't want have reappeared.

Clearly, I have manipulated a setting somewhere that restores some sort of default set, but can't find it.

I most humbly implore your help. Thanks for your suggestions.

SGEN3

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Did you try resetting the settings? if you did or that doesn't work. I can only recommend a factory reset :/ or calling Samsung direct

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1392265149632.jpg
    1392265149632.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 89

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
In the Easy Mode launcher, there should be "Easy Settings" on the second page.
From there select "Home screen mode" and select Standard. Hit apply :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, had reset settings and app preferences buuuut... nada.

Getting Touchwiz out of the stream, however, turned out to be as simple as selecting Touchwiz & "always" option. Bingo - "my" home screen back again & apparently permanently (not that this makes a lotta sense...).

Disappearing apps/widgets and reappearance of factory defaults on the screen turned out to be due to a little flash memory (?) wonkiness - phone is new & I had never done the "poor man's reboot/refresh" by removing the battery for a few minutes - had never really believed in this (always thinking a simple "restart" would suffice until a friend showed me how it straightened his device out). Here, the first symptoms were that certain simple functions had choked - e.g., "Help" buttons on the menu had quit working.

Got the Otter case off, removed the back, took out the battery & left it out for a few, re-installed, and bingo - perfect functioning & my home screen apps & widgets stayed where I'd put them. Who knew?

Thanks to you guys for your advice and suggestions. I'm sure this isn't the end of my challenges, and can see reading through all the old threads here will be invaluable.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, had reset settings and app preferences buuuut... nada.

Getting Touchwiz out of the stream, however, turned out to be as simple as selecting Touchwiz & "always" option. Bingo - "my" home screen back again & apparently permanently (not that this makes a lotta sense...).

Disappearing apps/widgets and reappearance of factory defaults on the screen turned out to be due to a little flash memory (?) wonkiness - phone is new & I had never done the "poor man's reboot/refresh" by removing the battery for a few minutes - had never really believed in this (always thinking a simple "restart" would suffice until a friend showed me how it straightened his device out). Here, the first symptoms were that certain simple functions had choked - e.g., "Help" buttons on the menu had quit working.

Got the Otter case off, removed the back, took out the battery & left it out for a few, re-installed, and bingo - perfect functioning & my home screen apps & widgets stayed where I'd put them. Who knew?

Thanks to you guys for your advice and suggestions. I'm sure this isn't the end of my challenges, and can see reading through all the old threads here will be invaluable.

One thing I forgot to mention: Welcome to the forums! If you would like, take a moment to say hello to the community: Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Glad you got it working. See you around the forums.

5had

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I have been facing the same problem with the touchwiz on galaxy s5. Not the disappearing of widgets but only the touchwiz... like I want to ask is the touchwiz pre installed? I'm kind of confused... cause whenever I press the main button a selection shows up of touchwiz settings along with the selection of "just once" and "always"..

So I tried removing this TouchWiz but I guess it couldn't be deleted... I did however followed the step on this thread of selecting the touchwiz as "always" and it's not showing the selection when the button is pressed..it takes back to the home screen..which is good and what I wanted..

But is there anyway I could delete this thing..? Is this app was already installed on s5? Or maybe It came from Nova launcher? Well I didn't used that app much..and uninstalled it..

Please do reply if anyone can help..thanks

martinpraguer

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
That stupid TouchWiz drove me crazy :mad: for few hours, until I found it to switch it off in Settings>>Input&control>>Motions&Gestures>>TOOLBOX -- needs to ticket off!
(On Chinese version of Samsung S5 (based on MTK6582), Android 4.4.2). Cheers

shermn8r

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Tried several of the suggestions but the Easy Mode was the one that worked. Easy Mode was off, so I turned it on. This actually didn't do anything since it seems that touchwiz had already done that. So I went back in and turned it off. Now I'm back to normal and hopefully touchwiz will never rear its ugly head again.

Rondall Owens

May 10, 2015
Visit site
"That stupid TouchWiz drove me crazy for few hours, until I found it to switch it off in Settings>>Input&control>>Motions&Gestures>>TOOLBOX -- needs to ticket off!
(On Chinese version of Samsung S5 (based on MTK6582), Android 4.4.2). Cheers"

This was it for me also, That newest update turned on the hand gestures. Once those were off it worked normal again. Thank You, Martin.

Thomas Flanders

May 13, 2015
Visit site
When you first got the TouchWiz option you had two choices: Touchwiz Easy Home and Touchwiz Home. Taking the Easy choice caused the problem as that gives you TouchWiz. Choosing the other option and making it ALWAYS sends the app home; effectively disabling it. Don’t clear anything after making this choice.
You only clear if you want to get rid of the TouchWize Easy option. To do that you go to Settings/Default Applications and clear TouchWiz Easy Home. Now when you see TouchWiz you will have the double optioned mentioned in the first paragraph. Select TouchWiz Home and always and you are good unless you clear the default. In which case you will have to go through the procedure again.
If you get stuck in a loop like I did with the Easy Mode you may have to choose settings from the second screen. Go to the top of the window and using your finger slide it down revealing among other things another settings button (this is the real deal. From here you can choose Default Applications and clear easy away. Then when go back to home and get two choices DON’T Choose EASY but do choose Always.

OOOIOOO

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
First go to settings/more/default Applications/Home/(then highlight radio for touchwhiz)

Then close... then open again to see that the radio is still highlighted. Once it is... the problem solved...

I think what's going on is that if the touchwhiz is not selected, then it pops up to be selected each and every annoying time!

Last edited:

LizzrdFish45

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I found this site when looking for a solution to touch wiz .
After drowning my S4 in the washer a friend gave me one just like i had.
Went and had the phone activated.
After 'wiping' some info/data off , the phone was updating/ downloading alot of data. Shortly after i was greeted with touch wiz.
The only choice for me was to do a Reset and that will take any pics, folders, etc. with it. I did not have anything to lose.
So, if you want to start with a fairly 'clean' phone and choose your own updates and such this is the way to go.
Go to apps. , settings , accounts , backup + reset , and on more click will do it.
While you follow some prompts , you will find yourself backing up at times and choosing another option.
I think the way Wiz gets in was a upgrade, so look for that. If you still have it, reset again and go foward.
so i have all my accessories and a extra battery also, so the lost was not as bad. I did loose all my pics off my old phone.
I guess that folder did not make it to the 'cloud' .
I think swapping the batteries out every couple/few months would be the way to go there... good luck

spankondrums

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I am glad to see this topic because that trash TouchWiz popped up on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 yesterday. And I am mad as hell about it, I really don't want to do a factory restore, but if I have to I will, so before I do that I will try some of the suggestions made here and see what happens

Peter Flynn4

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
It's not called Home Screen Mode in mine, it's Easy Mode.
Click on it, then switch from Standard Mode to Easy Mode but do not Apply.
Click to switch back to Standard Mode and then click Apply.
Yay...got my home screen back again.
This is a BUG. Never buying Samsung again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech