Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    wm4

Default Can't get rid of Touchwiz prompts

New to smartphones, new to android, pretty ignorant.
    I have done 'something' criminally stupid and can't seem to undo it.

Somehow, I have enabled Touchwiz easy home/Touchwiz home prompts on my Verizon Note 3, and can't get rid of them.

Tried manually forcing-stop to Touchwiz apps, cleared cache, cleared data - nothing, and powering-off/on turned them on again.
    Cleared all default several times - nothing.
    Searched this forum, found no clear answer (though I may not be aware of what I'm reading).
    Searched the Net, & per suggestions, tried deleting updates to Google Search and clearing Calendar data - didn't work.
    Tried using 3rd-Party free 'Default Managers' - didn't work.

To make matters worse, when I restart, my home screen configuration goes away; apps that I placed there are gone and apps/widgets that I don't want have reappeared.

Clearly, I have manipulated a setting somewhere that restores some sort of default set, but can't find it.

I most humbly implore your help. Thanks for your suggestions.

Default Re: Can't get rid of Touchwiz prompts

Did you try resetting the settings? if you did or that doesn't work. I can only recommend a factory reset :/ or calling Samsung direct

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can't get rid of Touchwiz prompts-1392265149632.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    wm4 

Global Posts
    19,821 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

To change it is in settings somewhere. I can't remember. I will see if I can enlist some help.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    wm4 

Global Posts
    19,821 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Try resetting app preferences. Settings>Application Manager>Menu>reset App preferences.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:
    wm4 
    wm4 likes this.

Global Posts
    8,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

In the Easy Mode launcher, there should be "Easy Settings" on the second page.
    From there select "Home screen mode" and select Standard. Hit apply

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    wm4

Well, had reset settings and app preferences buuuut... nada.

Getting Touchwiz out of the stream, however, turned out to be as simple as selecting Touchwiz & "always" option. Bingo - "my" home screen back again & apparently permanently (not that this makes a lotta sense...).

Disappearing apps/widgets and reappearance of factory defaults on the screen turned out to be due to a little flash memory (?) wonkiness - phone is new & I had never done the "poor man's reboot/refresh" by removing the battery for a few minutes - had never really believed in this (always thinking a simple "restart" would suffice until a friend showed me how it straightened his device out). Here, the first symptoms were that certain simple functions had choked - e.g., "Help" buttons on the menu had quit working.

Got the Otter case off, removed the back, took out the battery & left it out for a few, re-installed, and bingo - perfect functioning & my home screen apps & widgets stayed where I'd put them. Who knew?

Thanks to you guys for your advice and suggestions. I'm sure this isn't the end of my challenges, and can see reading through all the old threads here will be invaluable.

Global Posts
    19,821 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by wm4 View Post
    Well, had reset settings and app preferences buuuut... nada.

Getting Touchwiz out of the stream, however, turned out to be as simple as selecting Touchwiz & "always" option. Bingo - "my" home screen back again & apparently permanently (not that this makes a lotta sense...).

Disappearing apps/widgets and reappearance of factory defaults on the screen turned out to be due to a little flash memory (?) wonkiness - phone is new & I had never done the "poor man's reboot/refresh" by removing the battery for a few minutes - had never really believed in this (always thinking a simple "restart" would suffice until a friend showed me how it straightened his device out). Here, the first symptoms were that certain simple functions had choked - e.g., "Help" buttons on the menu had quit working.

Got the Otter case off, removed the back, took out the battery & left it out for a few, re-installed, and bingo - perfect functioning & my home screen apps & widgets stayed where I'd put them. Who knew?

Thanks to you guys for your advice and suggestions. I'm sure this isn't the end of my challenges, and can see reading through all the old threads here will be invaluable.
    One thing I forgot to mention: Welcome to the forums! If you would like, take a moment to say hello to the community: Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Glad you got it working. See you around the forums.

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I have been facing the same problem with the touchwiz on galaxy s5. Not the disappearing of widgets but only the touchwiz... like I want to ask is the touchwiz pre installed? I'm kind of confused... cause whenever I press the main button a selection shows up of touchwiz settings along with the selection of "just once" and "always"..

So I tried removing this TouchWiz but I guess it couldn't be deleted... I did however followed the step on this thread of selecting the touchwiz as "always" and it's not showing the selection when the button is pressed..it takes back to the home screen..which is good and what I wanted..

But is there anyway I could delete this thing..? Is this app was already installed on s5? Or maybe It came from Nova launcher? Well I didn't used that app much..and uninstalled it..

Please do reply if anyone can help..thanks

That stupid TouchWiz drove me crazy for few hours, until I found it to switch it off in Settings>>Input&control>>Motions&Gestures>>TOOLBOX -- needs to ticket off!
    (On Chinese version of Samsung S5 (based on MTK6582), Android 4.4.2). Cheers