Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My Note 3 was delivered today and I want to swap out the SIM card from my Note 2 to my Note 3. Whoever designed the SIM card slot in the Note 3 is apparently an *****. There seems to be no way to remove the SIM card in the Note 3 without damaging it or the phone. The darn thing might as well be a permanent fixture in the phone and I don't see any instructions for removal. Any suggestions?

Deb from my Note 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

Hey... agreed! It's a true Pita with SIM & SD card placement. Though once they're in and tidy you probably won't be replacing or messing with them often.
BTW, if you are at all going to be using VZW's ISIS wallet app... You'll have to make sure you have their SIM that has a NFC security tag built in for the app to work. This way you won't have to do you this again!
No fancy tools for this exercise just a clean pencil with a good eraser. Simply use the eraser (gently) with a constant slightly downward pressure to pull the card toward the empty battery compartment and voila! You'll have it out in moments.
Since posting this from my phone and don't have the back off... I think you have to pull the microSD card out first, if you have one, as it's piggy backed on top! WTH!?
Good Luck.

Posted via Android Central App

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I rarely have an eraser when I need to remove the SIM, but you can also carefully use the end of an open paperclip. The person at the store where I bought the phone uses the tip of a sing;e-edge razor blade.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Tape also works.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I rarely have an eraser when I need to remove the SIM, but you can also carefully use the end of an open paperclip. The person at the store where I bought the phone uses the tip of a sing;e-edge razor blade.

I can see me doing some serious damage to the card if I were to use one of these methods. I'm not known for my expertise with sharp objects. ;-)

Deb from my Note 3

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It really is better to use a new SIM when you switch phones. I had used one previously and had a problem so got a new one. Its better to start new. They are free!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It really is better to use a new SIM when you switch phones. I had used one previously and had a problem so got a new one. Its better to start new. They are free!

Not in my city they're not. I'd have to travel 35 miles to get a free one. At the cost of gas these days I may as well buy one from a local store. The corporate stores give them away franchise stores do not. Radio Shack does not. Our Walmart doesn't sell them as a separate purchase at all. These other stores charge you between $10 and $15 each. Now granted that's not going to break me but for some people it would be a cost they can't or prefer not to bear. In some cases one is removing an old SIM card to put in a new SIM card :) I wasn't aware there could be a problem so this is good information. Thank you for sharing!

Deb from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not in my city they're not. I'd have to travel 35 miles to get a free one. At the cost of gas these days I may as well buy one from a local store. The corporate stores give them away franchise stores do not. Radio Shack does not. Our Walmart doesn't sell them as a separate purchase at all. These other stores charge you between $10 and $15 each. Now granted that's not going to break me but for some people it would be a cost they can't or prefer not to bear. In some cases one is removing an old SIM card to put in a new SIM card :) I wasn't aware there could be a problem so this is good information. Thank you for sharing!

Deb from my Note 3

You can call Verizon they will mail you one free. They will try to get you to go to a corporate store but just be persistent and explain your situation.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i used tweezers on mine :)

I would not recommend it. Tweezers may damage the contacts. Probably not, but not worth the risk especially when there are other options

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I would not recommend it. Tweezers may damage the contacts. Probably not, but not worth the risk especially when there are other options

I took that into account and was careful....you just have to grab a bit of the edge....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I took that into account and was careful....you just have to grab a bit of the edge....

Yes it can be done. I prefer to do it the safer route

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Call customer care. Verizon will mail it to you. I don't understand retailers charging for them. What a ripoff.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Tweezers here too. Super fast and super easy. There is enough of the card to grab without getting near the contacts

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

jfinau

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
My Note 3 was delivered today and I want to swap out the SIM card from my Note 2 to my Note 3. Whoever designed the SIM card slot in the Note 3 is apparently an *****. There seems to be no way to remove the SIM card in the Note 3 without damaging it or the phone. The darn thing might as well be a permanent fixture in the phone and I don't see any instructions for removal. Any suggestions?

Deb from my Note 2

Good old tape will do the trick leaving no damage. I ripped some off and taped the corner on the visible part of sim card then pulled it out. I hope that helps someone cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't pop out on the note 3.

I just use a knife to get it out. I just push the tip in hard enough to grab it and slide it out.