Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kj11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    My Note 3 was delivered today and I want to swap out the SIM card from my Note 2 to my Note 3. Whoever designed the SIM card slot in the Note 3 is apparently an *****. There seems to be no way to remove the SIM card in the Note 3 without damaging it or the phone. The darn thing might as well be a permanent fixture in the phone and I don't see any instructions for removal. Any suggestions?

    Deb from my Note 2
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Hey... agreed! It's a true Pita with SIM & SD card placement. Though once they're in and tidy you probably won't be replacing or messing with them often.
    BTW, if you are at all going to be using VZW's ISIS wallet app... You'll have to make sure you have their SIM that has a NFC security tag built in for the app to work. This way you won't have to do you this again!
    No fancy tools for this exercise just a clean pencil with a good eraser. Simply use the eraser (gently) with a constant slightly downward pressure to pull the card toward the empty battery compartment and voila! You'll have it out in moments.
    Since posting this from my phone and don't have the back off... I think you have to pull the microSD card out first, if you have one, as it's piggy backed on top! WTH!?
    Good Luck.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Breathe... you'll feel better!
    GalaxyNote3/S4;RazrHD/Maxx;Droid3/2;Z6c/tv;E815;V710;V60s/i;EricssonT39m;StarTac7868/7860;MicroTacElite;UltraClassic II
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Thank you so much I will give the eraser trick a try.

    Deb from my Note 2
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Worked like a charm! :-)

    Deb from my Note 2
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    I rarely have an eraser when I need to remove the SIM, but you can also carefully use the end of an open paperclip. The person at the store where I bought the phone uses the tip of a sing;e-edge razor blade.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Tape also works.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertsirkin View Post
    I rarely have an eraser when I need to remove the SIM, but you can also carefully use the end of an open paperclip. The person at the store where I bought the phone uses the tip of a sing;e-edge razor blade.
    I can see me doing some serious damage to the card if I were to use one of these methods. I'm not known for my expertise with sharp objects. ;-)

    Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    Worked like a charm! :-)

    Deb from my Note 2
    Yea! Glad it worked....

    Posted via Android Central App
    Breathe... you'll feel better!
    GalaxyNote3/S4;RazrHD/Maxx;Droid3/2;Z6c/tv;E815;V710;V60s/i;EricssonT39m;StarTac7868/7860;MicroTacElite;UltraClassic II
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    It really is better to use a new SIM when you switch phones. I had used one previously and had a problem so got a new one. Its better to start new. They are free!

    Posted via Android Central App
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  10. #10  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Tape also works.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro


    Big Red Note 3
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    It really is better to use a new SIM when you switch phones. I had used one previously and had a problem so got a new one. Its better to start new. They are free!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not in my city they're not. I'd have to travel 35 miles to get a free one. At the cost of gas these days I may as well buy one from a local store. The corporate stores give them away franchise stores do not. Radio Shack does not. Our Walmart doesn't sell them as a separate purchase at all. These other stores charge you between $10 and $15 each. Now granted that's not going to break me but for some people it would be a cost they can't or prefer not to bear. In some cases one is removing an old SIM card to put in a new SIM card I wasn't aware there could be a problem so this is good information. Thank you for sharing!

    Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    Not in my city they're not. I'd have to travel 35 miles to get a free one. At the cost of gas these days I may as well buy one from a local store. The corporate stores give them away franchise stores do not. Radio Shack does not. Our Walmart doesn't sell them as a separate purchase at all. These other stores charge you between $10 and $15 each. Now granted that's not going to break me but for some people it would be a cost they can't or prefer not to bear. In some cases one is removing an old SIM card to put in a new SIM card I wasn't aware there could be a problem so this is good information. Thank you for sharing!

    Deb from my Note 3
    You can call Verizon they will mail you one free. They will try to get you to go to a corporate store but just be persistent and explain your situation.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    i used tweezers on mine
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    i used tweezers on mine
    I would not recommend it. Tweezers may damage the contacts. Probably not, but not worth the risk especially when there are other options

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I would not recommend it. Tweezers may damage the contacts. Probably not, but not worth the risk especially when there are other options

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I took that into account and was careful....you just have to grab a bit of the edge....
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    I took that into account and was careful....you just have to grab a bit of the edge....
    Yes it can be done. I prefer to do it the safer route

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Call customer care. Verizon will mail it to you. I don't understand retailers charging for them. What a ripoff.

    Posted via Android Central App
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  18. #18  
    kj11's Avatar

    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    I took that into account and was careful....you just have to grab a bit of the edge....
    Tweezers here too. Super fast and super easy. There is enough of the card to grab without getting near the contacts

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    karsdroid likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    My Note 3 was delivered today and I want to swap out the SIM card from my Note 2 to my Note 3. Whoever designed the SIM card slot in the Note 3 is apparently an *****. There seems to be no way to remove the SIM card in the Note 3 without damaging it or the phone. The darn thing might as well be a permanent fixture in the phone and I don't see any instructions for removal. Any suggestions?

    Deb from my Note 2
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Note 3: Trick to removing SIM card?

    Good old tape will do the trick leaving no damage. I ripped some off and taped the corner on the visible part of sim card then pulled it out. I hope that helps someone cheers

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 03:39 PM
  2. Best micro SD card?
    By Jeric Gorospe in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 10:11 PM
  3. SD card troubles.
    By Silver15 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM
  4. Need updated answers to common LG Elite questions
    By Savannah Muire in forum LG Optimus Elite
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 02:53 AM
  5. How to root your phone without computer
    By tiffvw14 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Posting Permissions