ODIN failing when trying to root

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
hey there everyone!! i havent been around for a while. i'm trying to root my MJE SM-N900V on verizon. i'm using the following turorial:

How to Root Verizon Galaxy Note 3! | GalaxyNote3Root.com

when i start odin i get a fail. here is a screen shot of what is happening.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h445/chriscw81/rootfail.jpg

after the failure the phone is at the screen showing a phone, triangle with an ! in it, and a computer screen. it is saying "FIRMWARE UPGRADE ENCOUNTERED AN ISSUE. PLEASE USE SOFTWARE REPAIR ASSISTANT & TRY AGAIN."

what i've done so far is:

- change usb ports
- changed usb cables
- i'm not using the cable that came with the phone and i'm also not using the usb 3.0 port on my computer
- rebooted the phone and pulled the battery several times
- rebooted the computer several times
- reset odin and tried about 6 times with no change

I am using a windows 8 pc and i'm not sure it that matters, hopefully not.

i apologize to post ANOTHER help me thread but this has me stumped and i'm now out of town with no phone to use. any help would be greatly appreciated.

chris

Attachments

• rootfail.jpg
    rootfail.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
  • CAM00033.jpg
    CAM00033.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately i was dumb enough to start this without verifying what version it was running but i think it was 4.3. i do however, know that it was up to date with whatever has out(MJE)

When you tried this did you run Odin as an administrator? Right click before opening and do it that way.
You should also deselect F. reset time

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
When you tried this did you run Odin as an administrator? Right click before opening and do it that way.
You should also deselect F. reset time

well. i closed odin and reopened it as administrator. then i unchecked f. reset time. no joy. still getting the same error and the process is still failing. should i have "re-partition" checked?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
well. i closed odin and reopened it as administrator. then i unchecked f. reset time. no joy. still getting the same error and the process is still failing. should i have "re-partition" checked?

No. That can brick your phone :eek:
Try downloading the root file again, could just be a bad download

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
No. That can brick your phone :eek:
Try downloading the root file again, could just be a bad download

ok, got it. i'll try and download again. i did run md5 on it before and it passed but who knows.

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
well, i tried redownloading and md5ing and retrying with not luck. i even tried flashing back to stock by following the instructions here:

[GUIDE] VZW Note III Edition[Return to Stock or recover from a Soft Brick and More] - xda-developers

basically i downloaded the stock flash and the .pit file then tried reflashing. it almost immediately failed.

here is what it looks like when if failed:

View attachment 105105

any ideas? this is driving me nuts
I'm not seeing a picture :eek:
You can Odin back to stock but if that doesn't work, there's also Kies emergency recovery

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
well, i tried redownloading and md5ing and retrying with not luck. i even tried flashing back to stock by following the instructions here:

[GUIDE] VZW Note III Edition[Return to Stock or recover from a Soft Brick and More] - xda-developers

basically i downloaded the stock flash and the .pit file then tried reflashing. it almost immediately failed.

here is what it looks like when if failed:

View attachment 105105

any ideas? this is driving me nuts

I'm not seeing a picture :eek:
You can Odin back to stock but if that doesn't work, there's also Kies emergency recovery

hmmm not sure why pic isnt showing up for you but here is a direct link to it:

fail2.jpg Photo by chriscw81 | Photobucket

i may try to use kies

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
so i switched to the usb cable that came with it and now it seems to be working(i thought i read in multiple places to not used the cable that came with the phone). i'm flashing back to stock now. hopefully i can get it back up and running so i can eventually get this baby rooted.

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Glad you for it fixed. Have you tried rooting with the stock cable now?

haven't tried yet. Got kinda busy for a while. Heck, I'm now wondering if I should forget about the method I posted in the OP and use another. Thoughts? Thanks for the help btw.

Chris

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
haven't tried yet. Got kinda busy for a while. Heck, I'm now wondering if I should forget about the method I posted in the OP and use another. Thoughts? Thanks for the help btw.

Chris

I'm not up to date on root methods for the Note 3, but everything I use in terms of mods/ROMs comes from XDA. I don't see why that one wouldn't work

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Some have reported that Win8 was the issue for them and they could only get it to work with Win7. Do you have access to a Win7 based machine? I had no issues with my rooting using this method, but I have a Win7 laptop.

I have to ask but you do have USB Debugging on, right? Sometimes it's something obvious like this that gets overlooked.

Posted via Android Central App