Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default ODIN failing when trying to root

    hey there everyone!! i havent been around for a while. i'm trying to root my MJE SM-N900V on verizon. i'm using the following turorial:

    How to Root Verizon Galaxy Note 3! | GalaxyNote3Root.com

    when i start odin i get a fail. here is a screen shot of what is happening.

    http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...1/rootfail.jpg



    after the failure the phone is at the screen showing a phone, triangle with an ! in it, and a computer screen. it is saying "FIRMWARE UPGRADE ENCOUNTERED AN ISSUE. PLEASE USE SOFTWARE REPAIR ASSISTANT & TRY AGAIN."

    what i've done so far is:

    - change usb ports
    - changed usb cables
    - i'm not using the cable that came with the phone and i'm also not using the usb 3.0 port on my computer
    - rebooted the phone and pulled the battery several times
    - rebooted the computer several times
    - reset odin and tried about 6 times with no change

    I am using a windows 8 pc and i'm not sure it that matters, hopefully not.

    i apologize to post ANOTHER help me thread but this has me stumped and i'm now out of town with no phone to use. any help would be greatly appreciated.

    chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ODIN failing when trying to root-rootfail.jpg   ODIN failing when trying to root-cam00033.jpg  
    Last edited by chriscw81; 02-17-2014 at 11:33 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    What version of Android is your S3 running?
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    What version of Android is your S3 running?


    it's a galaxy note 3. not a GS3
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    What version of Android is your S3 running?
    unfortunately i was dumb enough to start this without verifying what version it was running but i think it was 4.3. i do however, know that it was up to date with whatever has out(MJE)
  5. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    unfortunately i was dumb enough to start this without verifying what version it was running but i think it was 4.3. i do however, know that it was up to date with whatever has out(MJE)
    When you tried this did you run Odin as an administrator? Right click before opening and do it that way.
    You should also deselect F. reset time

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. #6  

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    it's a galaxy note 3. not a GS3
    Ops! My mistake.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    When you tried this did you run Odin as an administrator? Right click before opening and do it that way.
    You should also deselect F. reset time

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    well. i closed odin and reopened it as administrator. then i unchecked f. reset time. no joy. still getting the same error and the process is still failing. should i have "re-partition" checked?
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    well. i closed odin and reopened it as administrator. then i unchecked f. reset time. no joy. still getting the same error and the process is still failing. should i have "re-partition" checked?
    No. That can brick your phone
    Try downloading the root file again, could just be a bad download

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    No. That can brick your phone
    Try downloading the root file again, could just be a bad download

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    ok, got it. i'll try and download again. i did run md5 on it before and it passed but who knows.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    well, i tried redownloading and md5ing and retrying with not luck. i even tried flashing back to stock by following the instructions here:

    [GUIDE] VZW Note III Edition[Return to Stock or recover from a Soft Brick and More] - xda-developers

    basically i downloaded the stock flash and the .pit file then tried reflashing. it almost immediately failed.

    here is what it looks like when if failed:

    ODIN failing when trying to root-fail2.jpg

    any ideas? this is driving me nuts
  11. #11  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    well, i tried redownloading and md5ing and retrying with not luck. i even tried flashing back to stock by following the instructions here:

    [GUIDE] VZW Note III Edition[Return to Stock or recover from a Soft Brick and More] - xda-developers

    basically i downloaded the stock flash and the .pit file then tried reflashing. it almost immediately failed.

    here is what it looks like when if failed:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fail2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	105105

    any ideas? this is driving me nuts
    I'm not seeing a picture
    You can Odin back to stock but if that doesn't work, there's also Kies emergency recovery
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    well, i tried redownloading and md5ing and retrying with not luck. i even tried flashing back to stock by following the instructions here:

    [GUIDE] VZW Note III Edition[Return to Stock or recover from a Soft Brick and More] - xda-developers

    basically i downloaded the stock flash and the .pit file then tried reflashing. it almost immediately failed.

    here is what it looks like when if failed:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fail2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	105105

    any ideas? this is driving me nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I'm not seeing a picture
    You can Odin back to stock but if that doesn't work, there's also Kies emergency recovery

    hmmm not sure why pic isnt showing up for you but here is a direct link to it:

    fail2.jpg Photo by chriscw81 | Photobucket

    i may try to use kies
  13. #13  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    hmmm not sure why pic isnt showing up for you but here is a direct link to it:

    fail2.jpg Photo by chriscw81 | Photobucket

    i may try to use kies
    You forgot to deselect re-partition. Try using an older version of Odin. I use v1.85 or 3.07
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    You forgot to deselect re-partition. Try using an older version of Odin. I use v1.85 or 3.07
    so i retried making sure re-partition was not selected with no joy. i even tried with odin 3.07 and 1.85.

    here is the failure i got when i tried odin 3.07

    fail3.jpg Photo by chriscw81 | Photobucket

    man, this sucks. i wonder if it's an issue with windows 8.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    so i switched to the usb cable that came with it and now it seems to be working(i thought i read in multiple places to not used the cable that came with the phone). i'm flashing back to stock now. hopefully i can get it back up and running so i can eventually get this baby rooted.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    i was able to get it flashed back to stock. now to figure out how to get this thing rooted.
  17. #17  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    i was able to get it flashed back to stock. now to figure out how to get this thing rooted.
    Glad you for it fixed. Have you tried rooting with the stock cable now?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Glad you for it fixed. Have you tried rooting with the stock cable now?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    haven't tried yet. Got kinda busy for a while. Heck, I'm now wondering if I should forget about the method I posted in the OP and use another. Thoughts? Thanks for the help btw.

    Chris
  19. #19  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    haven't tried yet. Got kinda busy for a while. Heck, I'm now wondering if I should forget about the method I posted in the OP and use another. Thoughts? Thanks for the help btw.

    Chris
    I'm not up to date on root methods for the Note 3, but everything I use in terms of mods/ROMs comes from XDA. I don't see why that one wouldn't work

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  20. #20  

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Some have reported that Win8 was the issue for them and they could only get it to work with Win7. Do you have access to a Win7 based machine? I had no issues with my rooting using this method, but I have a Win7 laptop.

    I have to ask but you do have USB Debugging on, right? Sometimes it's something obvious like this that gets overlooked.

    Posted via Android Central App
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by teleburst View Post
    Some have reported that Win8 was the issue for them and they could only get it to work with Win7. Do you have access to a Win7 based machine? I had no issues with my rooting using this method, but I have a Win7 laptop.

    I have to ask but you do have USB Debugging on, right? Sometimes it's something obvious like this that gets overlooked.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yep, unknown sources and debugging is definitely on. I'm on vacation right now but when I get home I'll try on a win7 machine.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  22. #22  

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Enjoy your vacation and let the rooting go! <g>

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    chriscw81's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    Quote Originally Posted by teleburst View Post
    Enjoy your vacation and let the rooting go! <g>

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Ha it's an addiction and I may need help. :-)

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  24. #24  

    Default Re: ODIN failing when trying to root

    You wouldn't be the first.

    You wouldn't be the first to have issues with Win8 either. So there's hope on the horizon.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
  2. Verizon note 2 with 4.3 and I wanna root
    By prestonmiller91 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 11:45 AM
  4. Rooting software and apps.
    By Ziggy925 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM
  5. Download direct to SD Card
    By Medway in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions