What is so compelling about Kit Kat?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I see such anxiety over getting 4.4.2 on the Note 3. I have to ask: why? Most of all of the improvements to Android happen in Google Play Services and the actual Android OS is just a basic hardware to software layer. I have 4.4.2 on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the original Tab from 2.5 years ago) and I can say with certainty that there's really not any noticeable difference in Android on that device and the Note 3. So, what's all the excitement about?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure. Maybe because it's the latest and greatest. Personally after ICS was released I was extremely happy with android. Froyo and gingerbread days were horrible. With that being said... I don't really worry about when OS updates are released. My device works great and the battery lasts me longer than I plan.

53N7 FR0M M4 N073-3 V1A 7A9A7A7K

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you. Plus, I'm not looking forward to losing FoxFi functionality any time soon so I'll be rejecting the update once it comes around. At least until Foxfi figures it out.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Well some of us who are not rooted, like myself, are looking for 4.4.2 Kit Kat to fix some of the known bugs in 4.3, well really one in particular for me, other then that I like having the latest OS, and since I usually do not root my phones til I have them for close to a year, looking forward to updates is all I can look forward to...

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to lose foxfi, but I would like to have Google Wallet work. If foxfi finds a work around, then it would be a good thing for me. Google wallet looks like it will be a nice option. I already set up my account, I just need the phone to start working with the app now. I know, I can transfer money with the app, I want tap and pay to work like it is suppose to.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I just hope it fixes this damn Wi-Fi bug.. "Your connection is unstable"..... Unstable everywhere!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This.

My phone goes through phases where that WiFi bug is just maddening.

I'd also like to see them improve the camera.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly, Verizon can't charge for hotspot anymore so FoxFi might not be needed at this point. Being too lazy to figure out how to reconfigure the hotspot to temporarily remove FoxFi, which automatically is the way the hotspot connects on my device, I'm having a co-worker who hasn't configured his hotspot on his Note 3 check it out. He's going to get back with me, hopefully today.

If he does, I'll report back here.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just yesterday Verizon told me they still charge for hotspot and it is still on the website...but I agree with OP too... I used to get so excited about updates but I had not seen anything to get excited about in Kit Kat. Never liked the candy version either.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, we'll see. I suspect that they can TRY to get you to pay for it but it's possible that you can just skip any subscription pop up by simply backing out of it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly, Verizon can't charge for hotspot anymore so FoxFi might not be needed at this point. Being too lazy to figure out how to reconfigure the hotspot to temporarily remove FoxFi, which automatically is the way the hotspot connects on my device, I'm having a co-worker who hasn't configured his hotspot on his Note 3 check it out. He's going to get back with me, hopefully today.

If he does, I'll report back here.

No current Verizon plan charges for hotspot. Verizon is allowed to charge for hotspot on the unlimited data plan. Verizon will allow you to move to a current plan at any time without any cost.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, it seems that most folks aren't really looking forward to KitKat for the new features but for the bug fixes.

What if the wifi issue is hardware and not software? What if it's not fixed in KitKat?

I don't notice the wifi issue as I use LTE almost all the time (it's actually faster at my office than wifi) and have unlimited data so that's not a compelling issue for me.

Are there no other compelling reasons people want 4.4?

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Part of it is certainly the latest and greatest factor for sure.

Speaking strictly as a Verizon customer with KitKat on the Moto X, I was very excited to get the update because it finally allows Verizon users to use Google Wallet to its full, intended potential without having to root.

Still looking forward to 4.4.2 for fixes to some bugs that do exist

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As if I'd give up unlimited <chuckle>.

Many of us would not but there are some who have. The point is though that Verizon is legally required to allow hotspot, and they have done so just so far as to fulfill their legal obligation.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Many of us would not but there are some who have. The point is though that Verizon is legally required to allow hotspot, and they have done so just so far as to fulfill their legal obligation.

Thanks for saying what I had already verified.

Not interested in throwing the baby out with the bathwater though.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just yesterday Verizon told me they still charge for hotspot and it is still on the website...but I agree with OP too... I used to get so excited about updates but I had not seen anything to get excited about in Kit Kat. Never liked the candy version either.

Having followed the links I am now confused. I think I'll also reject the update when it comes.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well some of us who are not rooted, like myself, are looking for 4.4.2 Kit Kat to fix some of the known bugs in 4.3, well really one in particular for me, other then that I like having the latest OS, and since I usually do not root my phones til I have them for close to a year, looking forward to updates is all I can look forward to...

There are two errors that bother me (compass mode in GMaps doesn't work and spelling errors are not underlined automatically) and 4.4 won't fix either so I could care less. Probably will screw up root too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana