Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    To keep it simple i took my my brand new N3 to a metro pcs store and they said i have to go get it unlocked. Please advise where or how this is possible at all ive been searching for hours..

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    Assassin Droid's Avatar
    Assassin Droid

    Posts
    7,722 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,769 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    If they're good with the device but just need it carrier unlocked, Verizon's customer service can do that for you.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    I thought the Verizon model was already unlocked. Did they even try it or they just said that's what you have to do?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  4. #4  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    978 Posts

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    The only phone that comes factory unlocked is the iPhone 5 series I believe from Verizon. The rest have to be requested.

    Big Red Note 3
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    The only phone that comes factory unlocked is the iPhone 5 series I believe from Verizon. The rest have to be requested.

    Big Red Note 3
    The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. I have personally tried a Tmobile sim and it worked. You would need to edit the apn to get data.

    You can call Verizon if you need confirmation but that is what they should say.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Spencerdl likes this.
  6. #6  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    978 Posts

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. I have personally tried a Tmobile sim and it worked. You would need to edit the apn to get data.

    You can call Verizon if you need confirmation but that is what they should say.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Yes I looked this up you are correct. The Note 3 is one few that come factory unlocked. However they will never tell you how to edit the apn.

    Big Red Note 3
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    The only phone that comes factory unlocked is the iPhone 5 series I believe from Verizon. The rest have to be requested.

    Big Red Note 3
    Not true, the Verizon HTC Droid DNA is also unlocked.

    Posted with my HTC Droid DNA using the NuSenseONE MAX ROM 5.5/4.4.2 via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Yes I looked this up you are correct. The Note 3 is one few that come factory unlocked. However they will never tell you how to edit the apn.

    Big Red Note 3
    I believe that a majority if Verizon's recently released 4GLTE smartphones (say within the past year) are factory sim unlocked.

    Why should Verizon help you to go to another carrier? It isn't in their best interest. It isn't hard either, if metropcs staff can't do it, the op can post a thread and myself or one of the other members can help.

    Also, Verizon is the only carrier that I know of who sells a large number of 4GLTE smartphones factory sim unlocked. I give them credit for that.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  9. #9  
    JF7FSU's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    So will it work out of the box with another carrier?

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by JF7FSU View Post
    So will it work out of the box with another carrier?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yes, however you may not get band 4 lte as it was pushed in an update. But voice text and up to 4g is capable out of the box. You will have to edit the apn to get data

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I believe that a majority if Verizon's recently released 4GLTE smartphones (say within the past year) are factory sim unlocked.

    Why should Verizon help you to go to another carrier? It isn't in their best interest. It isn't hard either, if metropcs staff can't do it, the op can post a thread and myself or one of the other members can help.

    Also, Verizon is the only carrier that I know of who sells a large number of 4GLTE smartphones factory sim unlocked. I give them credit for that.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I believe they were legally forced to have them factory SIM unlocked. As much as I love Verizon's network, they would never do this "willingly."

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    I believe they were legally forced to have them factory SIM unlocked. As much as I love Verizon's network, they would never do this "willingly."

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    It was because they chose to use band 13 lte. They had band 12 and band 17 lte spectrum but chose not to use it(it was later sold to ATT and tmobile) . They also could have refarmed their pcs spectrum. So no one forced Verizon to sell phones factory sim unlocked. They chose to do so.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It was because they chose to use band 13 lte. They had band 12 and band 17 lte spectrum but chose not to use it(it was later sold to ATT and tmobile) . They also could have refarmed their pcs spectrum. So no one forced Verizon to sell phones factory sim unlocked. They chose to do so.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Verizon already had a large install of 700MHz sites when the FCC "reminded" them of the requirements and covenants of their purchase of 700MHz spectrum. It's also the reason Verizon had to rescind their blocking of tethering apps on Google play.

    Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by donc13 View Post
    Verizon already had a large install of 700MHz sites when the FCC "reminded" them of the requirements and covenants of their purchase of 700MHz spectrum. It's also the reason Verizon had to rescind their blocking of tethering apps on Google play.

    Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk
    BINGO!

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Verixon N3 doesnt work for metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by donc13 View Post
    Verizon already had a large install of 700MHz sites when the FCC "reminded" them of the requirements and covenants of their purchase of 700MHz spectrum. It's also the reason Verizon had to rescind their blocking of tethering apps on Google play.

    Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk
    They knew the terms when they got it and agreed to it. Again, no one forced them. They chose to accept the terms when they bid. Sure they tried to weasel out of honoring their commitment, but again no one forced them. They had options and chose to use band 13.

    Even when they were notified, thy could have decommissioned band 13, and used the other spectrum that they had. Which would have been a bad business decision, but again no one forced them to say that they had to use band 13,only if they did use it then they would have to honor the terms.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  16. #16  
    Arthur-tech's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

    Exclamation Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    So no one truly answered this question. I say this because I just bought a note 3 Verizon version inputted a SIM card from Metro PCS and nothing happened, it just said something about it being a non verizon sim. How can I activate the Metro PCS sim to work with this phone? Do I have to take it to a specialist? Help please!

    PS. I was told to do "Power Cycle it"? <-- what is that?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    It will say non verizon sim but it should work. You should switch it to gsm mode. I have been able to use my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on tmobile, it should be the same for metropcs

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    Didn't work for me either.
    I put a micro sim card
    (which i thought was the smallest one)
    from metro and t-mobile and AT&T with no luck.
    Then My little brother let me use his
    "EVEN SMALLER" sim card from t-mobile and right away I was getting 4glte and full bars.

    Let me know if this helps.
    Best of luck.

    L8
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Yes, however you may not get band 4 lte as it was pushed in an update. But voice text and up to 4g is capable out of the box. You will have to edit the apn to get data

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    How do you edit the apn? Can you edit it back again if tmobile signal is too weak for your taste?
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    How do you edit the apn? Can you edit it back again if tmobile signal is too weak for your taste?
    Settings - more networks - mobile networks - apn.

    Yes you can change it back if you want to

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    That's all there is to it or does apn have some value you need to insert? Do the people at Walmart or tMobile know how to do this? I would love to try tMobile for a week and see if I like it but would VZW somehow know what I had done and voided my account with unlimited data?

    I could put the vzw sim in my old razr maxx hd to "hold" on to my vzw account if necessary.

    I once read of a complex procedure to do this at xdm but you had to be rooted to even try it then they said 4G still wouldn't work.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    You would need to manually enter tmobile apn. They should be able to do it for you. It doesn't void warranty.

    If all you want do is to try tmobile, you can do their test drive free

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    And I would get full speed tMobile LTE where available? I assume I would have a different phone number right?
    I watched a video in youtube and they said I would have to be rooted and switch to band 4 in some complicated process?
    Thanks for your help and patience!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    If you have the latest update, band 4 is active you can port the number to tmobile to keep the same number, or get a new number

    Directions for changing apn are here

    https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-11447


    Tmobile primary 4GLTE is band 4, which is supported. But band 2 isn't supported on the Verizon Note 4.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Verixon Note 3 doesn't work for Metro pcs? Please help

    I have the latest vzw update so as I understand you band 4 is already active and band 2 is not but I do not need it?

    I just got off the phone with tmobile tech support and they said their note 3 are all locked and vzw are too and I need to call vzw to get them to unlock my phone.

    My plan is to put my vzw sim in my razr maxx hd to keep my account and number active with vzw. Then go to tmobile and get their sim and change to gsm and apn and get a new number with them. If i am unhappy plan is to give back tmobile sim, change apn, go back to cdma, reinsert old vzw sim from razr maxx hd and then my number magically changes back from the tmobile number to old vzw number.

    My concern is what if all that does work but tmobile pushes an update during trial. Will my note 3 still work on vzw with new tmobile software? Like what if they push lollypop before vzw?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cases and Screen Protectors for Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1
    By richtd in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 02:59 AM
  2. Screen record on GALAXY NOTE 2 pls help
    By Jimmy OldSkool in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM
  4. Facebook Problem...PLEASE HELP BEFORE I SMASH THIS THING!!!
    By Joshua Campbell in forum Toshiba Excite 305
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions