Tap & Pay Functionality on Note 3 Running KitKat?

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tap & Pay Functionality on Note 3 Running Kit Kat?

Sounds like either a class action opportunity or a monopoly charge. I was told by the Verizon rep that ISIS was a joint venture of Verizon, ATT, and T mobile to make money from their own credit system. Every time you charge something the vender is charged about 3% of the amount by the credit company. Every hundred dollars spent on ISIS, nets ATT/Verizon/Tmobile $3. This is why they want to corner the market on tap and pay, which is their incentive to block anyone else from offering a similar service. I would not mind if they offered a competitive service, but I will flat out boycott ISIS forever for disabling my phones natural ability to use another companies service just so you are forced to use theirs. If Verizon blocks Google Wallet, I will root my phone so I can use it anyway. I'm just waiting on Kit Kat to see if it is a non problem after the update. Isis (mobile payment system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One post said Sprint does not block Google Wallet, since I don't see Sprint as a partner in ISIS, that would explain it.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like either a class action opportunity or a monopoly charge. I was told by the Verizon rep that ISIS was a joint venture of Verizon, ATT, and T mobile to make money from their own credit system. Every time you charge something the vender is charged about 3% of the amount by the credit company. Every hundred dollars spent on ISIS, nets ATT/Verizon/Tmobile $3. This is why they want to corner the market on tap and pay, which is their incentive to block anyone else from offering a similar service. I would not mind if they offered a competitive service, but I will flat out boycott ISIS forever for disabling my phones natural ability to use another companies service just so you are forced to use theirs. If Verizon blocks Google Wallet, I will root my phone so I can use it anyway. I'm just waiting on Kit Kat to see if it is a non problem after the update. Isis (mobile payment system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One post said Sprint does not block Google Wallet, since I don't see Sprint as a partner in ISIS, that would explain it.

Nope. The NFC chip in the Note 3 isn't supported. And don't talk about leaks cause your idea of supports means (works) and their idea is (works properly).

You're ranking about nothing and this is far from a class action or monopoly thing. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Nope. The NFC chip in the Note 3 isn't supported. And don't talk about leaks cause your idea of supports means (works) and their idea is (works properly).

You're ranking about nothing and this is far from a class action or monopoly thing. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Wrong, kitkat moves the secure element off of the phone and into the cloud, yes T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are partners in ISIS and are blocking google wallet , and yes, it works great on the Sprint note 3, AFTER update to KitKat

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Wrong, kitkat moves the secure element off of the phone and into the cloud, yes T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are partners in ISIS and are blocking google wallet , and yes, it works great on the Sprint note 3, AFTER update to KitKat

No one is talking about the secure element. I'm talking about the NFC chip in the phone.

And I don't consider a secure element in the cloud to be that secure. Would you use a fingerprint scanner that stored your print data on Google Servers? I wouldn't. I'll gladly use Isis for its portability and higher security.

What NFC chip is in the Sprint Note 3? Do you know?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

No one is talking about the secure element. I'm talking about the NFC chip in the phone.

And I don't consider a secure element in the cloud to be that secure. Would you use a fingerprint scanner that stored your print data on Google Servers? I wouldn't. I'll gladly use Isis for its portability and higher security.

What NFC chip is in the Sprint Note 3? Do you know?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_card_emulation. The hardware doesn't matter with kitkat, I don't believe ISIS to be any more secure, I use Google wallet, l like it, but I would be just as happy with ISIS too, only problem is ISIS, at this time, doesn't support Visa or MasterCard, and I believe customers should be able to choose which service they want to use.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_card_emulation. The hardware doesn't matter with kitkat, I don't believe ISIS to be any more secure, I use Google wallet, l like it, but I would be just as happy with ISIS too, only problem is ISIS, at this time, doesn't support Visa or MasterCard, and I believe customers should be able to choose which service they want to use.

How are you going to tap and pay without an NFC chip. Can the iPhone do it.

You didn't answer my question and I know what HCE is.

That link does not address my question.

I used a Serve prepaid card on Isis and reload at the Store when needed. I don't use this tech anymore as I don't find it of great use. Most merchants here will ask for an ID (rightfully) and if I can carry that why can't I carry my card as well?

Isis is more secure because if I shred the SIM I know the chances of that info residing anywhere else is NIL. It only resides in the SE of the SIM Card. Not on any company's servers, ever.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Google wallet technically work on any NFC capable phones running kitkat, prior to KitKat the phone must use a secure SIM, security, PRIOR to KitKat, was used as an excuse for pushing ISIS, HCE is touted to be more secure, I don't know as I'm not a security expert.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

How are you going to tap and pay without an NFC chip. Can the iPhone do it.

You didn't answer my question and I know what HCE is.

That link does not address my question.

I used a Serve prepaid card on Isis and reload at the Store when needed. I don't use this tech anymore as I don't find it of great use. Most merchants here will ask for an ID (rightfully) and if I can carry that why can't I carry my card as well?

Isis is more secure because if I shred the SIM I know the chances of that info residing anywhere else is NIL. It only resides in the SE of the SIM Card. Not on any company's servers, ever.

It obviously will not work on a device without NFC

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Correct. So we can stop linking Wikipedia.

What NFC chip is in the Sprint Note 3?

I already stated, I don't know, don't care, I'm not arguing the ISIS vs. Wallet thing, my point was, that under kitkat, any NFC capable phone should be able to use wallet tap and pay, and that the carriers blocking its use, are doing so to push ISIS, I believe, we as consumers, should be able to choose which service we use.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I already stated, I don't know, don't care, I'm not arguing the ISIS vs. Wallet thing, my point was, that under kitkat, any NFC capable phone should be able to use wallet tap and pay, and that the carriers blocking its use, are doing so to push ISIS, I believe, we as consumers, should be able to choose which service we use.

You're ignoring the alleged issue. All the other phones have it so i find it odd the carriers are limiting it on their most expensive android phone to push Isis

It makes no sense whatsoever.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

You're ignoring the alleged issue. All the other phones have it so i find it odd the carriers are limiting it on their most expensive android phone to push Isis

It makes no sense whatsoever.

That I cant answer, I have a Note 3 on Sprint, wallet tap and pay was not available when running JB, it works flawlessly under kitkat, now, I know the Sprint version does possibly have different hardware, I know it is the only version to have a FM radio tuner, and according to every source I've read, it shouldn't matter under kitkat, so I'm assuming it is being blocked in software on T-Mobile, if that's the case, someone will find a work around eventually.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

That I cant answer, I have a Note 3 on Sprint, wallet tap and pay was not available when running JB, it works flawlessly under kitkat, now, I know the Sprint version does possibly have different hardware, I know it is the only version to have a FM radio tuner, and according to every source I've read, it shouldn't matter under kitkat, so I'm assuming it is being blocked in software on T-Mobile, if that's the case, someone will find a work around eventually.

How do you know it shouldn't matter? Cause you read something on the internet?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

How do you know it shouldn't matter? Cause you read something on the internet?

Because kitkat removed the need for the secure element to be on the device, authentication is now done in the cloud, you only need kitkat, NFC, and a data connection.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Because kitkat removed the need for the secure element to be on the device, authentication is now done in the cloud, you only need kitkat, NFC, and a data connection.

Okay. You should read up on the issue especially as it pertains to this phone. The info exists. Calm down and seek it out.

This is like saying it's okay if your browser connects to your bank on a non encrypted connection because their servers are secure. Developer would pull an update if it resulted in such a scenario. That's just an example to get the point across.

Also. It still makes no sense as every other 4.4 device supports Google Wallet in Tap to Pay.

The evidence does not line up with your conspiracy theory.

Have a great day.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Okay. You should read up on the issue especially as it pertains to this phone. The info exists. Calm down and seek it out.

This is like saying it's okay if your browser connects to your bank on a non encrypted connection because their servers are secure. Developer would pull an update if it resulted in such a scenario. That's just an example to get the point across.

Also. It still makes no sense as every other 4.4 device supports Google Wallet in Tap to Pay.

The evidence does not line up with your conspiracy theory.

Have a great day.

I'm calm as can be, you do bring up some good points regarding security, at this time only Sprint and T-Mobile have kitkat available on the note 3, Sprint was not involved in ISIS and gaines nothing from its use, T-Mobile was involved in the development of ISIS and does stand to gain from its success, which carrier has blocked wallet?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm calm as can be, you do bring up some good points regarding security, at this time only Sprint and T-Mobile have kitkat available on the note 3, Sprint was not involved in ISIS and gaines nothing from its use, T-Mobile was involved in the development of ISIS and does stand to gain from its success, which carrier has blocked wallet?

The Note 3 is the only phone without wallet on 4.4 that T-Mobile has.

Verizon 4.4 devices have it. Friend has a Droid Maxx in here and it is on there. The Verizon One does as well.

I think the S4 on T Mobile has it as well, and I'm sure they sold more of those than the Note.

Sprint allows access to the Secure Element to Wallet so we don't know if the implementation is identical, though it may very well be

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

The Note 3 is the only phone without wallet on 4.4 that T-Mobile has.

Verizon 4.4 devices have it. Friend has a Droid Maxx in here and it is on there. The Verizon One does as well.

I think the S4 on T Mobile has it as well, and I'm sure they sold more of those than the Note.

Sprint allows access to the Secure Element to Wallet so we don't know if the implementation is identical, though it may very well be

As reported on tmonews

" Over the last year or so there has been plenty of frustration directed at the carriers, some of whom are clearly stonewalling support for Google?s Wallet app. While T-Mobile has long stonewalled support for Google?s Wallet service, they?ve never really come out and said it?s directly because of their support for Project ISIS?until now. All it took was a simple tweet from a customer to the main @tmobile Twitter account asking why Google Wallet doesn?t work on the Note II. T-Mobile?s response?

?We?re supporting ISIS, the wireless payment standard for mobile devices.?

Which is great, except I don?t remember ISIS actually being dubbed the mobile payment ?standard.? In fact, I don?t recall any of the mobile payment services out there being labeled as the de facto industry ?standard.?

All in all it seems that both Verizon and T-Mobile are keeping Google Wallet out of their hair because of their support for ISIS. Now, I get it, it?s a business and they can run their business how they see fit, but let?s not act like no other service is available or that the customer isn?t getting the short end.

Sure, you can side-load Google Wallet, but why have to go through the extra step? Why can?t we just have the choice and let the services themselves battle it out for our business? The bottom line is that once again these behemoth carriers are less concerned about customers and more about the bottom line and because of that, they are impeding progress. The carriers shouldn?t ever force a service to be the ?standard,? but if it is, it should be based on the merits of the service and its offerings.

I?m so glad T-Mobile is the UNcarrier and ?doing things differently.?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

As reported on tmonews

" Over the last year or so there has been plenty of frustration directed at the carriers, some of whom are clearly stonewalling support for Google?s Wallet app. While T-Mobile has long stonewalled support for Google?s Wallet service, they?ve never really come out and said it?s directly because of their support for Project ISIS?until now. All it took was a simple tweet from a customer to the main @tmobile Twitter account asking why Google Wallet doesn?t work on the Note II. T-Mobile?s response?

?We?re supporting ISIS, the wireless payment standard for mobile devices.?

Which is great, except I don?t remember ISIS actually being dubbed the mobile payment ?standard.? In fact, I don?t recall any of the mobile payment services out there being labeled as the de facto industry ?standard.?

All in all it seems that both Verizon and T-Mobile are keeping Google Wallet out of their hair because of their support for ISIS. Now, I get it, it?s a business and they can run their business how they see fit, but let?s not act like no other service is available or that the customer isn?t getting the short end.

Sure, you can side-load Google Wallet, but why have to go through the extra step? Why can?t we just have the choice and let the services themselves battle it out for our business? The bottom line is that once again these behemoth carriers are less concerned about customers and more about the bottom line and because of that, they are impeding progress. The carriers shouldn?t ever force a service to be the ?standard,? but if it is, it should be based on the merits of the service and its offerings.

I?m so glad T-Mobile is the UNcarrier and ?doing things differently.?

The Note 2 is not the Note 3. The Note 2 doesn't have Tap to Pay and we all know that the Secure Element on all non sprint phones is Isis only.

We are talking about Tap to Pay HCE on the Note 3

Other 4.4 devices allow wallet via HCE on Isis carriers, the Note 3 is an outlier at this point. You don't seem to be understanding this simple fact.

Wallet doesn't use the Secure Element on the phone in 4.4 to those quotes and references are worthless.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

The Note 2 is not the Note 3. The Note 2 doesn't have Tap to Pay and we all know that the Secure Element on all non sprint phones is Isis only.

We are talking about Tap to Pay HCE on the Note 3

Other 4.4 devices allow wallet via HCE on Isis carriers, the Note 3 is an outlier at this point. You don't seem to be understanding this simple fact.

Wallet doesn't use the Secure Element on the phone in 4.4 to those quotes and references are worthless.

My point exactly! As I've been saying all along, it is not a hardware issue, it is T-Mobile, thanks for the conformation, good day