Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

The suspense is killing me to know whether or not Verizon will block the tap & pay functionality when they roll out Kit Kat for the Note 3. Apparently T-Mo has blocked it for their Note 3, yet they allow it on their other Kit Kat updated phones like the HTC One. The way Verizon handles this will indeed affect my decision of whether or not to switch back to a Note 3. I'm not-so-patiently waiting for the update before I decide.

**UPDATE** 3/14/14 - I gave in and switched back to a Note 3 today (for the 3rd time). Feels good to be back. I used ISIS to pay for my groceries earlier. Oh well.
    Last edited by Eddster; 03-14-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Default Re: Tap & Pay Functionality on Note 3 Running Kit Kat?

You can use Isis to tap and pay right now. While I loved using Google wallet, Isis has been just as good for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    Just downloaded it it is awesome! Super fast!
    The way that Google wallet is set up in kitkat their is no way for the carrier to block it. If it doesn't work in kitkat then that's at the fault of the manufacturer not the carrier.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Good point jweimn. I wonder what Samsung did differently in the S4 vs the Note 3.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddster View Post
    The suspense is killing me to know whether or not Verizon will block the tap & pay functionality when they roll out Kit Kat for the Note 3. Apparently T-Mo has blocked it for their Note 3, yet they allow it on their other Kit Kat updated phones like the HTC One. The way Verizon handles this will indeed affect my decision of whether or not to switch back to a Note 3. I'm not-so-patiently waiting for the update before I decide.
    I see no reason for this to affect phone buying decision.

Wallet basically chains you to Android and a Google Account.

I like choice and I like services that are platform agnostic, especially when they fall into this category.

I will use Isis if I ever feel the need to jump onto the mobile payments bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by jweimn View Post
    The way that Google wallet is set up in kitkat their is no way for the carrier to block it. If it doesn't work in kitkat then that's at the fault of the manufacturer not the carrier.

Wrong, it is CARRIER blocked on the T-mobile note 3, kitkat enabled it on the Sprint note 3, it was blocked by Sprint when running JB, kitkat simply changes security, it no longer requires a secure SIM, so it may be easier to bypass the carrier lock, but the carriers DO have the ability to block it, and I would bet Verizon will also, they want you to use Isis
    Eddster likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post

I like choice and I like services that are platform agnostic, especially when they fall into this category.

I will use Isis if I ever feel the need to jump onto the mobile payments bandwagon.
    I too like choice...the CHOICE to be able to use Google Wallet instead of ISIS if I so choose.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddster View Post
    I too like choice...the CHOICE to be able to use Google Wallet instead of ISIS if I so choose.
    Both of them restrict choice. One just less so than the other. Just depends on whether you find platform mobility as important as I do.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Neither is correct:
    "Once Visa and MasterCard enable HCE support, Google should be able to enable tap-to-pay for consumers who use their cards instead of resorting to inelegant workarounds." It looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on this and Google Wallet Tap-to-pay via KitKat will be enabled once it's ready.
    Your card information will be the cloud with HCE vs. on the secure element. This is why "Only devices using Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher, will need a network connection once a day to tap and pay", per Google's instructions on how to tap and pay. Again, it looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on enabling the "storage" of the card data in the cloud. I'm guessing Wallet will receive an update when this happens? Do a search for "Visa MasterCard and HCE" to find out more. Looks like it's imminent afterall!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Barba View Post
    Neither is correct:
    "Once Visa and MasterCard enable HCE support, Google should be able to enable tap-to-pay for consumers who use their cards instead of resorting to inelegant workarounds." It looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on this and Google Wallet Tap-to-pay via KitKat will be enabled once it's ready.
    Your card information will be the cloud with HCE vs. on the secure element. This is why "Only devices using Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher, will need a network connection once a day to tap and pay", per Google's instructions on how to tap and pay. Again, it looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on enabling the "storage" of the card data in the cloud. I'm guessing Wallet will receive an update when this happens? Do a search for "Visa MasterCard and HCE" to find out more. Looks like it's imminent afterall!
    Not sure I understand what you're saying, I have my wallet balance, and two Visa cards, I can select any one of the three to make a tap and pay purchase, or a combination of my wallet balance and a Visa

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    Wrong, it is CARRIER blocked on the T-mobile note 3, kitkat enabled it on the Sprint note 3, it was blocked by Sprint when running JB, kitkat simply changes security, it no longer requires a secure SIM, so it may be easier to bypass the carrier lock, but the carriers DO have the ability to block it, and I would bet Verizon will also, they want you to use Isis
    I'm sorry but no you are wrong please do your homework.

With the inclusion of android 4.4 kitkat Google wallet changed from using a secure element on the phone to a host card emulation all stored online. Now with the secured element on the phone the carrier could easily lock it down. With HCE the carrier has no way of blocking it as it is all handled off of the device and online with no way to block that. So yes it can and is supposed to work on 4.4 kitkat, the only one that can truly block it is the manufacturer but that is due to hardware limitations mainly.

I'm sorry but no you are wrong please do your homework.

With the inclusion of android 4.4 kitkat Google wallet changed from using a secure element on the phone to a host card emulation all stored online. Now with the secured element on the phone the carrier could easily lock it down. With HCE the carrier has no way of blocking it as it is all handled off of the device and online with no way to block that. So yes it can and is supposed to work on 4.4 kitkat, the only one that can truly block it is the manufacturer but that is due to hardware limitations mainly.

I understand the changes that were made, I also know that tap and pay now works great on a Sprint note 3 with kitkat, and does not work on a T-Mobile note 3 with kitkat, it has been blocked by T-Mobile, directly, or indirectly through the manufacture, the carrier, has in fact, blocked it

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts

I understand the changes that were made, I also know that tap and pay now works great on a Sprint note 3 with kitkat, and does not work on a T-Mobile note 3 with kitkat, it has been blocked by T-Mobile, directly, or indirectly through the manufacture, the carrier, has in fact, blocked it
    It's more along the lines of manufacturer. I will agree sure maybe due to some persistence by the carrier to take that out.

Also i will add with the DROID maxx on Verizon Google wallet works fine.

It's more along the lines of manufacturer. I will agree sure maybe due to some persistence by the carrier to take that out.

Also i will add with the DROID maxx on Verizon Google wallet works fine.

I agree that it should be easier to work around, now that a secured SIM is not needed, and, everyone thought that the change would open it up to everyone on kitkat, but T-Mobile, and I assume Verizon will follow suit, are still able to try and force ISIS on their customers.

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Thor v14.2

I signed up for ISIS simply because they were doing a free $40 credit deal w/ an amercian express SERVE card. After signing up, I checked the availability of ISIS tap to pay. There were fifteen McDonald restaurants listed, and maybe four shops in the local mall, none of which I'd ever shop at. Needless to say, that $40 credit might be on my account for a while.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by smhism View Post
    I signed up for ISIS simply because they were doing a free $40 credit deal w/ an amercian express SERVE card. After signing up, I checked the availability of ISIS tap to pay. There were fifteen McDonald restaurants listed, and maybe four shops in the local mall, none of which I'd ever shop at. Needless to say, that $40 credit might be on my account for a while.
    Isis works at any tap to pay location. Anywhere wallet is usable, isis is usable.

So isis should work at any location that has the reader head on their card swipe system? Gotta check that out. I really don't like the idea Google is storing our cards off the device in the cloud. Makes an easy target.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Isis works at any tap to pay location. Anywhere wallet is usable, isis is usable.

Isis will work where the underlying payment account is accepted + an ISIS compatible terminal + correct phase of the moon. The Google solution has, while not perfect, a much more extensible framework for payment processing.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by jgraves1107 View Post
    So isis should work at any location that has the reader head on their card swipe system? Gotta check that out. I really don't like the idea Google is storing our cards off the device in the cloud. Makes an easy target.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Yes it works with all the PayPass machines, etc. And the payment info is stored in the secure element of your SIM card or phone's NFC chip.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Isis will work where the underlying payment account is accepted + an ISIS compatible terminal + correct phase of the moon. The Google solution has, while not perfect, a much more extensible framework for payment processing.
    I've never seen Isis fail to work where wallet does.

Sounds like either a class action opportunity or a monopoly charge. I was told by the Verizon rep that ISIS was a joint venture of Verizon, ATT, and T mobile to make money from their own credit system. Every time you charge something the vender is charged about 3% of the amount by the credit company. Every hundred dollars spent on ISIS, nets ATT/Verizon/Tmobile $3. This is why they want to corner the market on tap and pay, which is their incentive to block anyone else from offering a similar service. I would not mind if they offered a competitive service, but I will flat out boycott ISIS forever for disabling my phones natural ability to use another companies service just so you are forced to use theirs. If Verizon blocks Google Wallet, I will root my phone so I can use it anyway. I'm just waiting on Kit Kat to see if it is a non problem after the update. Isis (mobile payment system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One post said Sprint does not block Google Wallet, since I don't see Sprint as a partner in ISIS, that would explain it.
    Last edited by jim2112; 03-08-2014 at 05:46 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by jim2112 View Post
    Sounds like either a class action opportunity or a monopoly charge. I was told by the Verizon rep that ISIS was a joint venture of Verizon, ATT, and T mobile to make money from their own credit system. Every time you charge something the vender is charged about 3% of the amount by the credit company. Every hundred dollars spent on ISIS, nets ATT/Verizon/Tmobile $3. This is why they want to corner the market on tap and pay, which is their incentive to block anyone else from offering a similar service. I would not mind if they offered a competitive service, but I will flat out boycott ISIS forever for disabling my phones natural ability to use another companies service just so you are forced to use theirs. If Verizon blocks Google Wallet, I will root my phone so I can use it anyway. I'm just waiting on Kit Kat to see if it is a non problem after the update. Isis (mobile payment system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One post said Sprint does not block Google Wallet, since I don't see Sprint as a partner in ISIS, that would explain it.
    Nope. The NFC chip in the Note 3 isn't supported. And don't talk about leaks cause your idea of supports means (works) and their idea is (works properly).

You're ranking about nothing and this is far from a class action or monopoly thing. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Nope. The NFC chip in the Note 3 isn't supported. And don't talk about leaks cause your idea of supports means (works) and their idea is (works properly).

You're ranking about nothing and this is far from a class action or monopoly thing. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Wrong, kitkat moves the secure element off of the phone and into the cloud, yes T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are partners in ISIS and are blocking google wallet , and yes, it works great on the Sprint note 3, AFTER update to KitKat
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Wrong, kitkat moves the secure element off of the phone and into the cloud, yes T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are partners in ISIS and are blocking google wallet , and yes, it works great on the Sprint note 3, AFTER update to KitKat
    No one is talking about the secure element. I'm talking about the NFC chip in the phone.

And I don't consider a secure element in the cloud to be that secure. Would you use a fingerprint scanner that stored your print data on Google Servers? I wouldn't. I'll gladly use Isis for its portability and higher security.

What NFC chip is in the Sprint Note 3? Do you know?

No one is talking about the secure element. I'm talking about the NFC chip in the phone.

And I don't consider a secure element in the cloud to be that secure. Would you use a fingerprint scanner that stored your print data on Google Servers? I wouldn't. I'll gladly use Isis for its portability and higher security.

What NFC chip is in the Sprint Note 3? Do you know?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_card_emulation. The hardware doesn't matter with kitkat, I don't believe ISIS to be any more secure, I use Google wallet, l like it, but I would be just as happy with ISIS too, only problem is ISIS, at this time, doesn't support Visa or MasterCard, and I believe customers should be able to choose which service they want to use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast