Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    I have a few questions I am sure that have been asked already but cant seemed to find a definite answer for all of them..

    I went to Verizon since my employer offered a great discount transferring my ATT number to Verizon and getting the Note 3. (Keep in mind I have two other lines still with ATT) Since I have been with Verizon the service is great but I am putting in my resignation at work to attend school and therefore have to minimize my budget. Considering the new family share plan that ATT has going now I am thinking of going back. I will have to break my contract with Verizon for sure. This leads me to my questions...

    1. Can I use my Verizon Note 3 with ATT?
    2. Will I have full functional use of it?
    3. If not, what can I do to obtain the full functional use of it?
    4. What does the limited LTE mean?

    Thanks in Advance!!
    ~Monica~
  2. #2  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    887 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to ATT????

    Assuming you bought the Note 3 on contract, I would suggest selling it outright to pay off your ETF. You should have some money left over as well. As far as I know, the 2 networks aren't compatible. It's not worth the headache trying what you suggested. You may end up having the sale of your Note 3 cover your new Note 3 on contract on AT&T and cover your ETF with Verizon.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to ATT????

    Thank you, Nakrohtap... that's kinda what I was leaning to but wanted to see first if I could... It means I have to go back to my old Iphone until I sell the Verizon one. Thats a headache in itself..
    ~Monica~
  4. #4  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    To answer your questions.

    1.yes
    2.no, see 4
    3 . Nothing you can do, short of buying an att version

    4.


    The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. But it only supports bands 4 and 13. Att uses band 17 primarily, but also makes limited use of bands 2,4,and 5. So you may get 4glte on att, but unlikely as att band 4 deployment is limited.

    But as far as voice, Text, and data up to 4g,you should be okay.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    To answer your questions.

    1.yes
    2.no, see 4
    3 . Nothing you can do, short of buying an att version

    4. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. But it only supports bands 4 and 13. Att uses band 17 primarily, but also makes limited use of bands 2,4,and 5. So you may get 4glte on att, but unlikely as att band 4 deployment is limited.

    But as far as voice, Text, and data up to 4g,you should be okay.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you, dpham00. So what is the big deal about 4G LTE? Why do I need it? Sorry, but when I hung up with ATT they said I could possibly use it but with limited function. I just want to make sure it is nothing so drastic that I will regret it.
    ~Monica~
  6. #6  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by moni3898 View Post
    Thank you, dpham00. So what is the big deal about 4G LTE? Why do I need it? Sorry, but when I hung up with ATT they said I could possibly use it but with limited function. I just want to make sure it is nothing so drastic that I will regret it.
    LTE would probably be faster. Other than that, it would work fine.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  7. #7  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Which new ATT plans are you referring too? Some of them require you to do their next program.

    Big Red Note 3
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  8. #8  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Which new ATT plans are you referring too? Some of them require you to do their next program.

    Big Red Note 3
    Which plans require next?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  9. #9  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    The $160 dollar one they advertise all the time. That plan else requires Next which they don't include in the pricing when they advertise it.

    Big Red Note 3
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  10. #10  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    The $160 dollar one they advertise all the time. That plan else requires Next which they don't include in the pricing when they advertise it.

    Big Red Note 3
    The plan isn't subsidized (at the advertised price). But my understanding is that they don't force you on next, i. E. You can byod.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  11. #11  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The plan isn't subsidized (at the advertised price). But my understanding is that they don't force you on next, i. E. You can byod.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    No they due, atleast with new customers. No idea about existing, but the reason they can offer the plan so low is because there is no subsidized phones. The same plan AT&T offers Verizon offers for $20 more ($180 for 4 phones and 10GB of data) and both require edge or next to get that pricing.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  12. #12  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    No they due, atleast with new customers. No idea about existing, but the reason they can offer the plan so low is because there is no subsidized phones. The same plan AT&T offers Verizon offers for $20 more ($180 for 4 phones and 10GB of data) and both require edge or next to get that pricing.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    The website says that for no annual service contract pricing, you can either use next or buy full retail or byod. I must have missed the restriction for new users, can you please post a link?






    https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireles...ile_share.html

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  13. #13  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Here too:


    " Customers new to AT&T can get these best-ever prices on AT&Ts award-winning network when they sign up for a 10GB or larger bucket of data and purchase a phone with AT&T NextSM (no annual service contract and get a new device every year for $0 down) or bring their own device or purchase a phone at full retail price."


    http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=25237
    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  14. #14  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Here too:


    " Customers new to AT&T can get these best-ever prices on AT&Ts award-winning network when they sign up for a 10GB or larger bucket of data and purchase a phone with AT&T NextSM (no annual service contract and get a new device every year for $0 down) or bring their own device or purchase a phone at full retail price."


    http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=25237
    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    OK so they can bring their own device or pay full retail as well. What I should have said you can't do a two year contract and get the new plan @ $15 per line access. Most people just see the commercial and think the plan is automatic, not knowing the stipulations. Most people won't do full retail for a phone, nor go looking for a device on their own that is used they can bring with them. So I didn't consider those options. Most people walk into a store or go online looking for a new phone. I did say the reason they can offer the plan so low was because of non subsidized phones, which does include full retail or byod phones. I just didn't include them. That was my bad.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  15. #15  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    No problem. I just wanted to make sure everyone had the correct information. The difference is Verizon requires you to be on edge to get the $20 price reduction. Once you are off edge, the price goes back up.

    For att, even if you bought on next, even after your next payment plan is completed, your bill doesn't go up. Byod or full retail is a good option financially speaking on att 10gb plus plan because $25 over 2 years is $600. If you are on a budget you can get the nexus or moto x for well under $400. For those who prefer contracts and don't mind paying more, Sure the option is still there



    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  16. #16  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    No problem. I just wanted to make sure everyone had the correct information. The difference is Verizon requires you to be on edge to get the $20 price reduction. Once you are off edge, the price goes back up.

    For att, even if you bought on next, even after your next payment plan is completed, your bill doesn't go up. Byod or full retail is a good option financially speaking on att 10gb plus plan because $25 over 2 years is $600. If you are on a budget you can get the nexus or moto x for well under $400. For those who prefer contracts and don't mind paying more, Sure the option is still there



    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Ya I think the common misperception with the plan is that if you are on NEXT you only pay $160 for 4 lines and 10GB of data. The plan goes up drastically depending on the phone after the Next payments are included into the plan.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  17. #17  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Ya I think the common misperception with the plan is that if you are on NEXT you only pay $160 for 4 lines and 10GB of data. The plan goes up drastically depending on the phone after the Next payments are included into the plan.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Correct. I wonder how much backpack would happen once people get ready to upgrade.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  18. #18  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Correct. I wonder how much backpack would happen once people get ready to upgrade.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I might just be dense but what do you mean by backpack?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  19. #19  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    I might just be dense but what do you mean by backpack?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Sorry, auto correct. Meant to say back lash

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  20. #20  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    I have a Verizon Note three and a coworker has an AT&T. My contract ran out a couple months ago. When I put my old Note 2 side by side with his my signal strength was much better. So I stuck with Verizon.

    Sent by telepathically controlled nanites.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    I thought about switching to AT&T once, then I remembered how my neighbor and everyone else in my area of travel always have problems with AT&T connections. Not to mention their problem with the Note3 (and other devices) GPS, which I use a lot. I will stick with Verizon
  22. #22  

    Default Re: New to the Verizon & Note 3 but considering going back to AT&T????

    Verizon won't check out your corporate discount for a very long time. Just stay with it and be happy!

    Posted via Android Central App
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Similar Threads

  1. People are going nuts
    By stackberry369 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 04:21 AM
  2. Problems with the screen of my phone
    By Gustopho in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions