Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sulla1965
  • 1 Post By Spencerdl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    ansa82's Avatar

    Posts
    611 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

    Default Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    I'm thinking this might be an issue with note 3? At least 4-5 times a day I get a message saying my wifi connection is unstable. I have a brand new modem from xfinity with great wifi & excellent signal. Odd

    sent from my Note 3
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-10-2014 at 04:34 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Wifi connection unstable

    Quote Originally Posted by ansa82 View Post
    I'm thinking this might be an issue with note 3? At least 4-5 times a day I get a message saying my wifi connection is unstable. I have a brand new modem from xfinity with great wifi & excellent signal. Odd

    sent from my Note 3
    I also have Xfinity and my Verizon Note3 has excellent WiFi through out my entire house (upstairs, main level and basement) and every where else that I go where I use WiFi. Not sure why your having problems, At my office I have an old Linksys E2000 NRouter and it even works flawless with that. I don't have KitKat and I'm not rooted, that might be why.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-10-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Thanked by:
    ansa82 
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Wifi connection unstable

    I was having the same problem with my ASUS router. What I did was go into my router settings and create separate SSID's for the 2.4Ghz band and 5Ghz band and haven't had the problem since.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Wifi connection unstable

    This is a well known issue and there are other threads on it.

    VZW is aware and it will be fixed in the next upgrade.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    ansa82's Avatar

    Posts
    611 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wifi connection unstable

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    I also have Xfinity and my Verizon Note3 has excellent WiFi through out my entire house (upstairs, main level and basement) and every where else that I go where I use WiFi. Not sure why your having problems, At my office I have an old Linksys E2000 NRouter and it even works flawless with that. I don't have KitKat and I'm not rooted, that might be why.
    I don't have kitkat and I'm not rooted either. Don't know. Very odd

    sent from my Note 3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    ansa82's Avatar

    Posts
    611 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wifi connection unstable

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaker24 View Post
    This is a well known issue and there are other threads on it.

    VZW is aware and it will be fixed in the next upgrade.
    Good to know. Thanks!

    sent from my Note 3
  7. #7  
    Chucky1's Avatar

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    528 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    Both my AT&T and Verizon Note 3 ' s have had this problem. In my case, it is the router and hopefully resolved today.
  8. #8  
    Joeboy22's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    Hi Everyone.

    I've had my Note 3 since October and have been having EXACTLY the same issues with wifi as all you good people have stated.
    I Tried all the so called 'fixes' but none of them worked. In the end I sent my Phone back to Samsung in the UK and they've fixed it.
    The notes on the repair sheet said they'd 'upgraded the software'. Before I tried the phone I told the guy in the shop that I'd done all the updates known to man and doubted it had been fixed. He said that Samsung do a 'Level 2 software upgrade' that users cannot do.
    Although when I turned the phone on it still prompted me for a 'firmware' update. But bottom line is that I've been using it for 3 days and it's fine. I sent mine back through the car phone warehouse in the UK and got it back in 9 days.

    I hope this helps someone out there.

    Joe
  9. #9  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    All of Samsung's devices on 4.3+ do that.

    I've never had the phone throw that error without having actually experienced an issue with the Wi-Fi. Those issues may not be apparent to you, and you may think your connection should be flawless, but it can be a number of factors that cause the phone to issue the notice (high packet loss, very slow speeds - especially for those on DSL connections if you're uploading often your ISP will throttle your download speeds down to nothing, weak signal, etc. etc.).

    Mine does it here and there due to my Linksys router going bad. I know it's the router, because whenever the phone does it, it means I can probably look forward to the connection on my PCs going to "Limited" (which usually means they aren't connected to the Internet) :-) Often if I log into the router admin panel it will force it to reconnect things (which is odd because all I have to do is just log in and it fixes itself, Lol).

    I'm getting rid of the router soon.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    My note 3 has no problems with wifi. Most likely the problems lay elsewhere. To say that all note 3's have wifi problems just isn't accurate.
    Thanked by:
    hdhuntr likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    Yep same here. Just got the replacement order.
    First battery drain , than WiFi connectivity, ghost screens (in call) camera flash , camera app, screensaver freezing ... And finally Mic stopped working yesterday.
    The most expensive phone , huh?!
    I guess I'm gonna have to buy her G2 and sell the refurbished one.

    Posted via Android Central App
    VZW Moto X
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    All the years that I've been using cell/smartphones (and I've had plenty), I've only had one problem (Blackberry Z10 reboot issue). I must be the luckiest man in the world (knocking on wood). I never have any of the problems with any of my devices that I read about in these forums.....I use to think they were all USER error and I know that a lot are, but sometimes it can be a bad batch. I always purchase my devices from a corporate carrier store and be mindful of what goes on my devices (updates,app, widgets, cases..ect.). I don't have any problems with wifi or anything else for that matter with my Verizon Note3 or 5s. I hope it stays that way....I'm really thinking about NOT downloading KitKat when it's finally released by Verizon for the Note3 because of all the war stories. My Note3 runs nice and smooth with JellyBean, and I wouldn't want it to run like KitKat crap.
    lovemyspanish likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    Lucky you. From the day one on Android I had problems and never messed w phones. My friends too. The first and only phone w/o prob is my Moto X.
    My wife's note 3 is as clean and plain as it gets and just in the first week started having issues. I don't mind fixing and working w Android but for an average user I don't know what to recommend anymore. I was convinced that at least flagships from 2013 (s800) would be flawless.

    Posted via Android Central App
    VZW Moto X
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    I was getting a wifi unstable alert when home even though my wifi was working.
    When I went somewhere where there was wifi I would get wifi unstable and it would not stay on.
    I read about this issue and I tried this fix..I turned the wifi search to ON and then I pulled the battery. When I turned phone back on the first notification message I got was you wifi is stable and so far I haven't received one the said wifi unstable. An the wifi is stable, I've never seen that before.
    Good luck

    Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    I had the unstable business with the Note 2. Happened right after a software update and don't remember which one it was. I recently sold my Note 2 and when I turned it on, there it was again. Note 3 no problems at all. If it were me I'd try a different router. I didn't bother with the Note 2 because I knew I was shortly upgrading to the 3.
  16. #16  
    forseti's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    Just a suggestion here...

    If you have multiple access points set up with the same SSID from different manufacturers, go beyond just checking that the SSID and password to access the network is the same...also go a bit deeper and check they actual type of encryption used. For example, I put a new router in the house to cover a weak signal area configured just as just an AP. The SSID and password to access the network was a match for my primary router. However, there was a subtle difference I missed in the initial configuration, where the primary router was set to WPA2, and the secondary AP was set to WPA/WPA2. This had the unfortunate effect of using only AES on the primary router, but TKIP on the secondary AP. Wireless devices would not shift seamlessly between the two access points with this minor configuration difference, as they had to reauthenticate with a different mechanism each time. My Galaxy Note 3 would shift back and forth all the time, reporting back an unstable network configuration.

    This was easy to clean up, I just set everything to WPA2/AES only. I also realized I had no more 802.11g devices in the house, and set both routers/AP's to support 802.11n only.

    With a Galaxy Note 3, you can "scan" the details between multiple access points as you move around by dialing in *#0011# Choose the wifi menu from the menu button. A high level of detail on the wifi connection will be revealed. Move between the AP's that the phone thinks are "unstable" and see what settings change. If there is a difference in the encryption used as you move away from one and closer to another, you have a configuration issue where the AP's don't have critical settings set up as a match.

    This could also happen if you authenticated to two entirely different networks in close proximity, like a neighbors open network either deliberately or by accident. Your device may jump back and forth between the two. Make sure you force the phone to "forget" the network that is not yours to avoid this.

    Minor setting differences can be easy to miss, especially if the configuration screens are different due to the two pieces of equipment being built by different manufacturers, or entirely different networks in close proximity. Best if you make sure its all set to WPA2/AES only, and generally always avoid connecting to "open" networks. Force the "forgetting" of any open networks you previously authenticated to, to avoid the chance your phone will lock onto one just because someone used the same SSID of a previous open network you came across.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    Quote Originally Posted by forseti View Post
    Just a suggestion here...

    If you have multiple access points set up with the same SSID from different manufacturers, go beyond just checking that the SSID and password to access the network is the same...also go a bit deeper and check they actual type of encryption used. For example, I put a new router in the house to cover a weak signal area configured just as just an AP. The SSID and password to access the network was a match for my primary router. However, there was a subtle difference I missed in the initial configuration, where the primary router was set to WPA2, and the secondary AP was set to WPA/WPA2. This had the unfortunate effect of using only AES on the primary router, but TKIP on the secondary AP. Wireless devices would not shift seamlessly between the two access points with this minor configuration difference, as they had to reauthenticate with a different mechanism each time. My Galaxy Note 3 would shift back and forth all the time, reporting back an unstable network configuration.

    This was easy to clean up, I just set everything to WPA2/AES only. I also realized I had no more 802.11g devices in the house, and set both routers/AP's to support 802.11n only.

    With a Galaxy Note 3, you can "scan" the details between multiple access points as you move around by dialing in *#0011# Choose the wifi menu from the menu button. A high level of detail on the wifi connection will be revealed. Move between the AP's that the phone thinks are "unstable" and see what settings change. If there is a difference in the encryption used as you move away from one and closer to another, you have a configuration issue where the AP's don't have critical settings set up as a match.

    This could also happen if you authenticated to two entirely different networks in close proximity, like a neighbors open network either deliberately or by accident. Your device may jump back and forth between the two. Make sure you force the phone to "forget" the network that is not yours to avoid this.

    Minor setting differences can be easy to miss, especially if the configuration screens are different due to the two pieces of equipment being built by different manufacturers, or entirely different networks in close proximity. Best if you make sure its all set to WPA2/AES only, and generally always avoid connecting to "open" networks. Force the "forgetting" of any open networks you previously authenticated to, to avoid the chance your phone will lock onto one just because someone used the same SSID of a previous open network you came across.
    Mine is set to wpa2/aes only. I recently bought the 3 because my 2 hated it's cracked screen. It wasn't charging yada yada.. I saw that that's not my note 2 fault while looking at issues on this 3. If I'm required to confirm to use WiFi. .. it mostly never loads the page. His s3 is connected to the same wifi..while my new note 3 does nada. It's one thing after the other with this stoopid phone. I could list lots. But not connecting to wifi is not acceptable! Nothing has helped .. I'm nothing short of returning this device. I miss my 2!
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    I have tmobile and i have this problem 😥

    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    ansa82's Avatar

    Posts
    611 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

    Quote Originally Posted by forseti View Post
    Just a suggestion here...

    If you have multiple access points set up with the same SSID from different manufacturers, go beyond just checking that the SSID and password to access the network is the same...also go a bit deeper and check they actual type of encryption used. For example, I put a new router in the house to cover a weak signal area configured just as just an AP. The SSID and password to access the network was a match for my primary router. However, there was a subtle difference I missed in the initial configuration, where the primary router was set to WPA2, and the secondary AP was set to WPA/WPA2. This had the unfortunate effect of using only AES on the primary router, but TKIP on the secondary AP. Wireless devices would not shift seamlessly between the two access points with this minor configuration difference, as they had to reauthenticate with a different mechanism each time. My Galaxy Note 3 would shift back and forth all the time, reporting back an unstable network configuration.

    This was easy to clean up, I just set everything to WPA2/AES only. I also realized I had no more 802.11g devices in the house, and set both routers/AP's to support 802.11n only.

    With a Galaxy Note 3, you can "scan" the details between multiple access points as you move around by dialing in *#0011# Choose the wifi menu from the menu button. A high level of detail on the wifi connection will be revealed. Move between the AP's that the phone thinks are "unstable" and see what settings change. If there is a difference in the encryption used as you move away from one and closer to another, you have a configuration issue where the AP's don't have critical settings set up as a match.

    This could also happen if you authenticated to two entirely different networks in close proximity, like a neighbors open network either deliberately or by accident. Your device may jump back and forth between the two. Make sure you force the phone to "forget" the network that is not yours to avoid this.

    Minor setting differences can be easy to miss, especially if the configuration screens are different due to the two pieces of equipment being built by different manufacturers, or entirely different networks in close proximity. Best if you make sure its all set to WPA2/AES only, and generally always avoid connecting to "open" networks. Force the "forgetting" of any open networks you previously authenticated to, to avoid the chance your phone will lock onto one just because someone used the same SSID of a previous open network you came across.
    Thank you! !!

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy S2 - wifi and data internet not working
    By BlueYeti in forum Samsung Galaxy S II
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
  2. Galaxy Note 10.1: Connecting to television
    By lbabus in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-15-2014, 01:35 PM
  3. AT&T Galaxy S3: WiFi won't work with CyanogenMod 11.0
    By glitchgod in forum AT&T Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 04:33 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 08:48 PM
  5. 2 New Phones NO WIFI CALLING !!!
    By billrigsby in forum T-Mobile Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions