Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By BBSeattle
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  • 1 Post By CarrierPigeon
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 1 Post By BasPilot
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default is there any point in rooting the Verizon Galaxy Note 3?

is there any point in rooting the Verizon Galaxy Note 3?

what can the phone do after it's rooted?

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: is there any point in rooting the Verizon Galaxy Note 3?

You can remove bloat apps, flash recoveries, install ROMs, install kernels, give root access to apps that need it like a Root File explorer. There's lots of stuff you can do.

I suggest you research a bit more before you modify your phone as rooting voids your warranty.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Droplr and Amazon's Secure Content Distribution Network. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

At this point with the latest and greatest phones available...no, at least for me.
    It can be a source for a lot of fun and tinkering but I don't believe it is necessary.
    In most cases I find that you will not do anything different with your phone once it is rooted.
    I haven't rooted my last 3 phones (DNA, HTC One, Note 3) and honestly see no reason to do so.
    They all performed flawlessly and did everything and more than what I ever needed.
    Just my opinion.
    brucedbr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post

Check out this AC article, it has some very good info on rooting: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

Myself I root all my Android devices for the following reasons (in order of importance):

1. Use AdAway with the MVPS blocking hosts file (blocks known malicious websites as well as ads)
    2. Freeze the OTA updater. I want control over when and IF my system gets an update. I prefer to evaluate updates when they're released (via change logs or others who have installed/reported on it) to see if it's worth updating or not.
    3. Gain full control over system to apply any system level modifications if needed. An example of this was with my Verizon Note 2 where for some unknown reason they disabled the following feature and I wanted it back: Re-enable infinite scroll on home screens and app drawer [MOD] Infinite scroll touch wiz home screens

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    You can remove bloat apps, flash recoveries, install ROMs, install kernels, give root access to apps that need it like a Root File explorer. There's lots of stuff you can do.

I suggest you research a bit more before you modify your phone as rooting voids your warranty.

The question alone would suggests they dont know the real benefits of rooting...and all the terminology you used is wasted....

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post
    The question alone would suggests they dont know the real benefits of rooting...and all the terminology you used is wasted....

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Hence why I told him it would be nice if he could research it a bit more.

“Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Droplr and Amazon's Secure Content Distribution Network. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

pdub73 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hence why I told him it would be nice if he could research it a bit more.

just did it... I forgot how nice it was to use Android apps WITHOUT seeing all those stupid banner ads! Now I see none!
    Thanked by:
    Synycalwon likes this.

Biggest reason for me...so I can run Titanium Backup & backup apps AND data.

And stop OTA updates.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by donc13 View Post
    Biggest reason for me...so I can run Titanium Backup & backup apps AND data.

And stop OTA updates.

There's an app called Helium that will back up app data without the need for root.

There's an app called Helium that will back up app data without the need for root.
    I want apps and data, including system apps. Also, from recent reviews, it seems Helium has some issues.

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by donc13 View Post
    I want apps and data, including system apps. Also, from recent reviews, it seems Helium has some issues.

Not for me. Helium works fine.

If you like to tinker with your user experience, and don't mind having to do your own support/maintenance/troubleshooting when (not if) things go awry with your ROM of choice, sure.

If you just like to use your smartphone in a normal, factory manner....why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck0870 View Post
    If you like to tinker with your user experience, and don't mind having to do your own support/maintenance/troubleshooting when (not if) things go awry with your ROM of choice, sure.

If you just like to use your smartphone in a normal, factory manner....why bother?
    You do in a sense take on your own support of the device when you root. But that's kind of the nature of the beast so to speak being you are now considered a "power" user. Also root alone just gives you full administrator access to your device. You don't have use a custom ROM. Case in point, I'm still using the stock software that came with my Note 2 and Note 10.1. I rooted both solely for the reasons in my post above.
    Dog5000 likes this.

Not for me. Helium works fine.
    I'm going by what the recent reviews say, obviously your mileage varies.

Again, I rooted and still run stock ROM and my warranty is still valid according to Knox.

I use Titanium Backup for both user and system apps and data. Plus create nandroid backups via Safestrap.

Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP/Francos K/4.1.1

Yes

sent from tapatalk....probably while pooping.

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    Yes

sent from tapatalk....probably while pooping.
    You didn't state your reason as to why you believe rooting is worth it! :')

TheSickAndTwisted

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS 4 (forever)

Most certainly there is a point to rooting. That's a non question. The question is: Is there a point in ME rooting my phone.

The answer here is, again, yes, but not if you don't care about the things that are available.

If you are going to get into a few various things and do some new learning then yes again. The things that are talked about here are the recover, roms, and root access... That's about all that is possible, save minutia. Recovery is the software that is used by the phone in the case the operating system is failing so much that you can't get into the device and fully booted up to ix the problem in there. The recovery also has options to let you save a snapshot of your system and restore to that snapshot. Then the ROM, think of this as a customized OS. Sometimes it is customized only in a couple unseen things that smarter guys than I have deemed needed, sometimes they debloat the system, and that is taking all the crap off the system that is put there by your carrier, like facebook that is preinstalled or really anything that is preinstalled. Sometimes they have actually gone out and almost rewritten the OS to a customize version, that's usually things like Cyanogen and bigger guys like them. Then is the most common reason to root, and that's to gain root access inside your OS. Think of a phone without root access as one that has the ability to use and add and subtract from your system AFTER your system has been put out there. As in, you have your OS installed and there are 10 things installed on it. You can add 3, then take off 2 of those, you're at 11. Then you add 7 and take off 2 of those, you're at 16 now. You can remove all 6 you put on, but never go below that original 10. You can never delete or uninstall those 10 things. THey will be there forever and forever. Now, you get your OS, and you've got yourself 10 apps on it, you root it, and you now have access to remove all 10 of those apps. You can delete everything and anything. You have the power to literally delete anything you want and screw up whatever you want! In most cases, people streamline their systems and you help your phone to run a bit faster, bit smoother, bit here and bit there.

If you put all those (main) three things together, you have yourself a really nice piece of hardware running just like you like it and the way you want it and nothing how you don't. You get to take advantage of the full power of your device because loads of things are not running that you could really care less about.

BUT!!!!! On the other hand, the Galaxy Note 3 specifically has the built in capability to turn an app off. It basically stops it from running, though it never deletes it. Stops it from getting updates, but never deletes it. Stops you from seeing it in your app drawer, but again... never deletes it. So if that's all you're looking for, nope, don't root, just too much can go wrong for such little benefit in the event you even decide to take advantage of the benefit. If you want to do and get into a lot more than just stopping some apps, Root away my friend. But before you do, spend a week or so reading a whole lot more than just this thread. Read and read and learn and learn. You may find that you're just not ready to pull the trigger yet. You might say This is great lets do it, and you may run away screaming like a little girl hoping your phone never knew you were thinking of rooting.

Just learn and have fun.
    BBSeattle likes this.

I had to root my thunderbolt because a lot of things didn't work well in the stock rom. Everything works fine in my Note 3. Custom Roms almost always have bugs. My phone right now has none. The one thing that tempts me is I would like to turn on underline spelling errors function that Samsung blocks. Other potentially more serious problems rooting may cause outweigh even that function for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2