Verizon Note 3: Could my screen issue be software related?

indiansfan78

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have searched for the issue that I have been having and I haven't found anyone else having the same issue.

While on a call, the screen goes black like it's supposed to when holding the phone up to my ear.

However, literally every call I am on at some point, the other person says "hello" like I was disconnected, when I pull the phone away from my ear, the screen is never on the call screen, it is on something completely different and I have to go back to the call in order to be heard again.

I can't figure out either how the screen is changing itself, when it turns off while up to my ear.

I have even made a few calls on speakerphone with the phone laying on my desk and and in both cases the caller on the other end begins saying "Hello" like we were disconnected and when I push the home button to activate the screen it is on a completely different screen than the call screen.

Anyone else have this issue or have heard of it?

I have pulled the battery, done a soft reset and even ended up doing a complete factory reset and the phone still keeps doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Could my screen issue be software related?

Go into settings under Call. Could be there
hope that helps

Posted via Android Central App

smhism

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

Could it be another application interfering? Is it always the same screen that it defaults to while on a call, or is it random? Factory reset?

indiansfan78

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

I've done a factory reset and it still continues to do it.

It does keep going to the contact list screen, the call history screen and sometimes it brings up the stock messaging app screen

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Are those your 5 keys on bottom of home screen? Did you make sure to go into call settings and check the box to turn off screen during calls?

from "Ms Note 3" on Tapatalk

indiansfan78

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The box is checked to turn off screen during calls. The messaging app is one of those icons, but the contacts and call history aren't.

It does this even if I place the phone on a desk and talk through speaker phone, it will just randomly mute the call and go to another screen. I have even deleted all the apps I have downloaded to see if that is a problem. It still does it :/ I only had about 6 apps downloaded anyway.

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Take it to a Verizon store that has the service department and have them diagnose your phone. Another option is to call Samsung service department, I think we have a 1 year warranty on the Note 3

indiansfan78

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the responses. I tried calling Verizon and they can't send me another one because I am on the Verizon Edge program and they claim I have to have at least 50% of the phone paid off before they can do anything. I have only made 2 monthly payments. My call was escalated to a Regional manager after I kept complaining about it and they are still saying I have to have 50% of the phone paid off before they can do anything about it.

I find the whole thing completely ridiculous. I'm considering just paying the phone off and going to another carrier.

I have done another complete factory reset of the phone and not installed one app or anything and most every call I am on keeps muting even though the screen is off.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the responses. I tried calling Verizon and they can't send me another one because I am on the Verizon Edge program and they claim I have to have at least 50% of the phone paid off before they can do anything. I have only made 2 monthly payments. My call was escalated to a Regional manager after I kept complaining about it and they are still saying I have to have 50% of the phone paid off before they can do anything about it.

I find the whole thing completely ridiculous. I'm considering just paying the phone off and going to another carrier.

I have done another complete factory reset of the phone and not installed one app or anything and most every call I am on keeps muting even though the screen is off.

I didn't realize they don't warranty the phone under the Edge program, but it makes sense. Go to a Verizon corporate store and ask for a new SIM card. That MAAAAYYY resolve your issue. That actually used to happen to me when I had my OOOLLD Galaxy Nexus. If you call Verizon(800-922-0204), they can actually see when a call was dropped, as opposed to ended. They gave me a good chunk of credit because it happened over and over and over. I advise you to call and do the same.

What I don't understand is how they can charge you a monthly fee for a phone you can't use.

smhism

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Interesting to know service for the EDGE program apparently sucks. Now I know I'll definitely not get on that program.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to know service for the EDGE program apparently sucks. Now I know I'll definitely not get on that program.

I'm on edge and was advised to get the insurance on the device as I'm responsible for it during the time I'm using it.

sent from my Note 3

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
You all do know that Samsung warrants the phone for a year...call them direct or call Verizon's technical support folks about defects or possible defects. The folks in the stores are 99% sales oriented and trained.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk