Verizon Edge users

4m0wagen

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have vzw edge? Do you like it? With the note4 coming in the fall I may switch. Do you simply have to pay half your phone off before getting a new one.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes pay half the device and turn in the old device

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

kami8586

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I was told by a Verizon rep that it's actually a rip off since ur paying full price for the phone plus on top of your plan expenses

anon(20073)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have vzw edge? Do you like it? With the note4 coming in the fall I may switch. Do you simply have to pay half your phone off before getting a new one.

I did it because i change phones alot, yes you have to have half the phone paid for then you can trade it in.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I was told by a Verizon rep that it's actually a rip off since ur paying full price for the phone plus on top of your plan expenses

Yes and no.. you are paying full price but when you switch to edge your 40 a month line charge drops to 20.. so you are actually not paying a lot more.. got my daughter the motor x and it's 16 a month.. so when the 40 line plan dropped to 20 my bill went down 4 dollars. I got the note 3 and it's 29 a month but with the line dropping from 40 to 20 my bill only went up 9 dollars.

Sure it's not a perfect plan but for people who change phones once a year it's an alternative. . Just pay full tax and first months payment on the device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Your charge drops by $25 for 10GB data plan and higher.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I also decided to try the Edge program with my Note3. Since I seem to change smartphones once a year, this might be a good thing for me. It's my understanding that as long as half of the device is paid for it automactially qualifies you to get another smartphone on the edge program (after 6 months). If you decide to take the full two years to pay for the device it's only about $30 dollars more than paying for the device in full up front. Smartphone Technology is moving so fast that after a year the device is outdated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I also decided to try the Edge program with my Note3. Since I seem to change smartphones once a year, this might be a good thing for me. It's my understanding that as long as half of the device is paid for it automactially qualifies you to get another smartphone on the edge program (after 6 months). If you decide to take the full two years to pay for the device it's only about $30 dollars more than paying for the device in full up front. Smartphone Technology is moving so fast that after a year the device is outdated.

Verizon now allows you to upgrade after a month, though the 50% policy still applies. You are paying about the same as full retail, maybe just a few bucks more but nowhere near $30

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Verizon now allows you to upgrade after a month, though the 50% policy still applies. You are paying about the same as full retail, maybe just a few bucks more but nowhere near $30

Your right, $29.31 x 24 moths = $703.44 and I think full retail price of the Verizon Note3 is $699.99. I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up dpham00

4m0wagen

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Full retail is 799 last time I checked. Thanks for the help everyone, switching next week! I like the ability to upgrade when I want to, especially as fast as new phone come out.

My other question is: I was told my wife can stay on the 2yr contact for her 5s and I can switch to edge, but still remain on the same plan. Does anyone know if we both get the edge pricing plan and only I get the line discount?

anon(20073)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Edge and my daughter is on Edge, but my wife is on a 2 year contract and we are all on the same plan.
My daughter and i get the discount on our lines.

Full retail is 799 last time I checked. Thanks for the help everyone, switching next week! I like the ability to upgrade when I want to, especially as fast as new phone come out.

My other question is: I was told my wife can stay on the 2yr contact for her 5s and I can switch to edge, but still remain on the same plan. Does anyone know if we both get the edge pricing plan and only I get the line discount?

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Just checked the Verizon site.....Samsung Galaxy Note3 (off contract) full price is $699.99

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It has been $600 a few times before, currently $700 though.

Also if you are on a 10gb tier or higher, the $25 reduction in premium for edge amounts to $600 over 2 years. So something to consider when buying on contract vs edge

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Edge and I'm kinda...eh, with it. My problem was I had purchased a Note 2 from Ebay. What I wasn't told until we got the paperwork rolling was I have to turn over my current phone. Well, that was kind of a rip off, as I paid ... I don't remember but I got a good deal off that phone. Having to just turn it over with no credit really hurt. Of course, from here on in, that won't be an issue.

Now, they made me a great deal though. I was on the unlimited plan and I had to come off that plan. Well, they offered me a 6gb a month plan for the same money I was on the unlimited. For me, that was fine, as I rarely used over 2GB a month...occasionally used 3. Now, I wouldn't have gone with it if I was a really high volume user.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Be aware that Edge uses the prepaid network....it only covers about 95% of what the full network covers. Check the coverage map in your area for the prepaid coverage.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Be aware that Edge uses the prepaid network....it only covers about 95% of what the full network covers. Check the coverage map in your area for the prepaid coverage.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Where did you get this information ^^^

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Uh, no. Verizon edge is post paid and fully uses all of Verizon. 4GLTE including 20x20mhz aws where deployed

Verizon prepaid doesn't have 4GLTE

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am glad to have made the switch. I also think someday subsidies on phones won't exist...they don't have in Europe. I get a corporate discount along with the discount alloted on the edge. Also no 30.00 upgrade fee. I like changing phones. Its a decent deal in my.opinion

Posted from my awesome Note3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is the only carrier holding steadfastly to subsidies. I hope they continue to do so too.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Uh, no. Verizon edge is post paid and fully uses all of Verizon. 4GLTE including 20x20mhz aws where deployed

Verizon prepaid doesn't have 4GLTE

Thank you dpham00 I was waiting to see his response to that bogus information....Because that makes absolutely no sense....

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app