Key Issue in rooting Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Warning

Sc0ttJ0hns0n

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
So I've been diligently following a variety of instructions in trying to root my Verizon Note 3. For the first time in a long series of devices, using Kingo Root, I had my very first bricking o' the phone. This was a cold experience. So after swearing to the lord on high that I'd never ever ever ever again consider such lunacy as wanting to take control of my own device again, I finally keyed in on a statement that someone else made about having to switch to a different computer to restore the stock firmware. After successfully restoring a stock firmware image with the second computer using Kies, I went back to the first computer to restore my backed up data (at least I did something right), when that failed as well. It was then, in a moment of clarity, that I realized the major difference between the two relatively new I7 computers - the anti-virus software. My original system runs Avast! and my second system just has basic windows security on it (it doesn't get exposed to the big bad world). Once I disabled Avast, the backup restore worked like a charm and I'm happy to say that I no longer own a $700 paperweight. When I have some more time tomorrow afternoon I'm going to disable Avast again and try to root the phone, I'm very confident that Kingo will work as advertised and give me blessed control of my own device. Did I say I swore never ever ever ever again? God knows I'm a weak man already, right? Once I root my phone successfully I'll drop back in and provide another update.

I sincerely hope this saves someone the hours of panic I just enjoyed. On a final note for now, this speaks volumes about the depth of blocking that Avast is capable of compare to Security Essentials.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No concern that avast blocks kingo because kingo uploads personal info from your computer? I'm not claiming they do. I just don't know that they don't.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Sc0ttJ0hns0n

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Actually I wasn't too concerned as I do most of my technical work without an active network connection. I realize that that wouldn't solve issues created by malware that later phones home with my data, but for the most part my technical machine is as close to sand boxed as I can get it and still get the data I need from online. To verify my less than scientific findings, I made a quick sandbox VM with no AV and was able to make the initial connection between the phone and Kingo. I threw on a copy of Avast and tried it again and it again hung after connecting.

Further work on this front today led me to additional discoveries relative to my particular phone (A Verizon Note 3 with firmware MJE). It seems that at this point, all attempts at rooting this phone with the particular firmware I have results in a "soft brick". I have been unable to find any other users (as opposed to developers) who have been able to root this particular Model/Firmware combination at this time. If anyone reads this article and has information to the contrary about rooting my particular device/firmware combo I would absolutely love to find out that I'm wrong.

Regards.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually I wasn't too concerned as I do most of my technical work without an active network connection. I realize that that wouldn't solve issues created by malware that later phones home with my data, but for the most part my technical machine is as close to sand boxed as I can get it and still get the data I need from online. To verify my less than scientific findings, I made a quick sandbox VM with no AV and was able to make the initial connection between the phone and Kingo. I threw on a copy of Avast and tried it again and it again hung after connecting.

Further work on this front today led me to additional discoveries relative to my particular phone (A Verizon Note 3 with firmware MJE). It seems that at this point, all attempts at rooting this phone with the particular firmware I have results in a "soft brick". I have been unable to find any other users (as opposed to developers) who have been able to root this particular Model/Firmware combination at this time. If anyone reads this article and has information to the contrary about rooting my particular device/firmware combo I would absolutely love to find out that I'm wrong.

Regards.

Use an earler version of kingo

OR

use vroot, then use the latest kingo

The latest kingo does not work on the verizon n3 with mje. Same with the latest vroot, it says it succeed...but doesn't. But doing vroot and then kingo works fine.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34