Please help as Im new to rooting

krankie

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I want to root my Samsung Galaxy note 3 but I dont know where to start. It has 4.3 and says SM-N900v. I also have verizon. Any help would GREATLY appreciated. 💗

Posted via Android Central App

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Read through some of the general FAQs at the top so that you get familiar with the rooting concept then go to the part under the ATT/Verizon section and click on the Verizon link. Then follow the instructions exactly. Don't skip any steps and don't worry if it seems to hang up for a few minutes.

http://galaxynote3root.com/galaxy-note-3-root-faq/

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I want to root my Samsung Galaxy note 3 but I dont know where to start. It has 4.3 and says SM-N900v. I also have verizon. Any help would GREATLY appreciated. 💗

The website with the most info is XDA. Why do you want to root?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

mohlin

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I love rooting. You can see all apps in multi Window and there are many tweeks you can do. Try using Klingo to root on your computer. It is easy and only takes a few minutes.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I love rooting. You can see all apps in multi Window and there are many tweeks you can do. Try using Klingo to root on your computer. It is easy and only takes a few minutes.

But if you use Kingo read about it first. The latest version doesnt work on note 3. You need an older version.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That's why the link I posted is the easiest and best (IMHO) option for most people. There's video AND a photographic/written step by step instruction. I tried Kingo before using this method but the website was having problems at that time (they might have fixed it as far as I know).

XDA is great but it's usually a little advanced for newbies to rooting.

The above link explains thing in a clear and easy fashion and there's video.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

astroprojector

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The rooting state for Verizon Note 3 is somewhat complicated now. It depends on baseband version. Not all current root method will work if you have baseband MJ7 version. As far as I know the only way to root Note 3 now either using VROOT method or Kingo root. Although I tried Kingo root on my MJ7 and it did not work. Using Odin method will not work on MJ7.

Also, if you care about this, you want to make sure you will not trip KNOX while rooting. If you do the phone warranty will be voided.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The method in the link that I provided works for MJE, so that version is good if you have it. And it doesn't trip Knox.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The method in the link that I provided works for MJE, so that version is good if you have it. And it doesn't trip Knox.

You suggest root DE LA Vega but if you have mje Verizon they say over at xda it won't work any more and you need kingo or vroot? Are you sure this still works? If so why are so many using the less secure kingo? (or am I looking at the wrong video?)

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It worked for me with no problems. I rooted well after the upgrade, which came a couple of days after I bought the Note.

I'd post a screenshot of my settings but I can't due to issues with Gallery. As for the other stuff, I have no explanation.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, fixed Gallery (a little cache cleaning does wonders!)
dapy7y8e.jpg

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you get root DE LA Vega to work would you post your results here? Obviously, he was successful but over at xda in the root DE LA Vega thread it says it no longer works on stock vzw MJE. Very confusing. I asked about it over there tonight but did not get a straight answer.

krankie

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I feel a bit stupid for asking but I don't want to mess up my phone. Step by step instructions would be absolutely great. I hope it's not to much to ask.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I feel a bit stupid for asking but I don't want to mess up my phone. Step by step instructions would be absolutely great. I hope it's not to much to ask.

Look through the link that I posted first. Read up on rooting in the general FAQ section and then go to the Verizon link and read through it as well. It's very much step by step AND there's a video where the writer takes you through the procedure. I read the instructions first and then watched the video. Then I re-read the instructions just to make sure I knew all of the steps and how it would go.

I would do the Odin part on a Win7 machine if I were you. Some have reported issues on Win8, but it's unclear whether that was their issue. Some may have already tried other methods that didn'twork previously and the Win8 was just a coincidence (no way to tell without more info). I did it on a Win7 machine with no issues and while I had tried with Kingo previously, I never got very far because the website itself was having issues. Never even got as far as Odin.

I'd be happy to help, but I'd just parrot what's on the website. You really need to get some background in the basics of rooting before you take the step. You should know what the advantages AND limitations are. You need to know how to get back to stock (or when it might not be possible to). You need to know the differences between recovery methods (you can't mix them, for instance). You need to know the two types of ROM categories and what makes them different.

This is stuff that's all covered in the FAQs at that site (and many other rooting sites as well - this one explains the ins and outs pretty well and it is specific to the Note 3).

You might find that you wouldn't even benefit from rooting. It's not for everyone. And there are moments in the process where you'll hold your breath and ask yourself, "Have I bricked my phone?" There's one point in the process where even I, who have rooted three phones, did just that. But it happens with every rooting. It's just human nature because the phone doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Rooting used to be an iffy thing. In the very old days, you really could brick your phone. Not so much now.

If you search on this forum, there's a guy who will help you root your phone through messaging. But I'd suggest going through the learning process first. If, after reading the FAQs and watching the video and reading through the instructions before and after watching the video, you still are unsure, seek out that guy (I can't remember his screen name off the bat). He's helped a lot of people. I still think that you should bone up on the process first.

krankie

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If you happen to come across his name would you share? I did go to that site and read. I have Win7. I will try ro read again and make sure. I've only ever rooted my Motorola droid X and razr. I figured Samsung would be different.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a computer. Does anyone know if you can use a tablet, my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 to be exact.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If you happen to come across his name would you share? I did go to that site and read. I have Win7. I will try ro read again and make sure. I've only ever rooted my Motorola droid X and razr. I figured Samsung would be different.

Not that different at all. I rooted the same two phones. Yeah, you've got Odin (that's basically your RSD Lite) to deal with but it's not all that different than compiling the correct Moto drivers and making sure that you can communicate with your computer. That whole Moto drivers thing was a pain in the ***. The Samsung equivalent is much simpler, when it comes to drivers, that is. There's a link on that page where you can get the correct drivers.

If you've done those two phones, you can do this one with no problem. Just pay attention to versions and make sure you're compatible. Cross platform versions of Note 3 are all different.

But it's clear that you understand the basics. Just make sure that you read through the FAQs to be sure. For instance, I never encountered TWRP before I got here. I was always a CWM guy when I was rooting Moto. This method is TWRP. Just a different recovery system is all. They aren't compatible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2