Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Not sure why there's so much dislike for Touchwiz

I'll preface my post by saying prior to my note 3, I've only owned Motorola phones and nexus tablets. I found the UI's on my devices limited and always ended up using a 3rd party launcher. I even need 3rd party apps for the most basic things such as a decent battery indicator, home screen weather indicator (remember beautiful widgets?) or system toggles. In the end this just seemed to add bloat and occasional developer's bugs to my devices. I've not found it necessary to do anything to my note 3 except rearrange the screen order and replace a widget or two. I can't help but to notice the lack of love for TW. I've heard it called cartoonish, bloat, wasted resources. ... While I expect to hear this from HTC owners, I can't help but to notice some of these same comments coming from some current and past Samsung owners. In some forums, note 3 owners are eagerly anticipating and hoping we get the g5's version of TW. Honestly, this is the first and only phone I've ever owned that I've not needed to tweak or modify with a skin or app to suit my most basic phone needs. Im all about improving my phone but will be perfectly fine if i don't receive kit kat or a new version of TW. I wonder if the hatred is TW, or has Samsung become the new Apple?

Posted via Android Central App
    Jude526 and Spencerdl like this.

Global Posts
    25,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Not sure why there's so much dislike for Touchwiz

I don't like TW because it is memory hog for both RAM and internal storage.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

I think It's fine, I don't have a problem with it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"

I have never had an issue with TW, Sense, Motoblur, etc......I always use a 3rd party launcher.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I don't like TW because it is memory hog for both RAM and internal storage.
    Never had an issue with RAM and TouchWiz even on my S3. And as far as storage the Note 3 compared well with my iPhone 5S 32GB out the box.

Most issues with TW are fairly placebo and due to past versions of it. After TW3 a lot of people decided they'd scream lag, stutter, memory, etc. No matter how much better it gets.

Also space used by preloaded apps have nothing to do with TouchWiz. ChatOn, S Health, Samsung Hub, etc are not "TouchWiz" they are just apps loaded on the phone by the OEM and/or carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    brucedbr likes this.
    beh

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

I too have used TW exclusively in the S3, S4, Note 3, and Note 8. I have tried the other popular launchers, etc. and have never found one that is better than TW. They are just different. If you like another "style" of launcher fine. But for me TW works well, doesn't add additional apps and their required storage space. The complaints about TW are like the complaints about using "plastic", just complaining for complaining's sake.
    I smile every time I see how the S5 is not a great improvement, not innovative, lousy TW, made of plastic, ad infinitum, ad naseum and it sold twice as many units on day 1 that the S4 did.
    Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910V
    Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V
    Galaxy Note 8 SGH-1467
    Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900
    kctony likes this.

Global Posts
    25,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Never had an issue with RAM and TouchWiz even on my S3. And as far as storage the Note 3 compared well with my iPhone 5S 32GB out the box.

Most issues with TW are fairly placebo and due to past versions of it. After TW3 a lot of people decided they'd scream lag, stutter, memory, etc. No matter how much better it gets.

Also space used by preloaded apps have nothing to do with TouchWiz. ChatOn, S Health, Samsung Hub, etc are not "TouchWiz" they are just apps loaded on the phone by the OEM and/or carrier.

And I am inclined to disagree. After shifting to an AOSP ROM, I noticed a cleaner, more smooth response from the S3.

And yes, the apps you mentioned are TW only.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

And I am inclined to disagree. After shifting to an AOSP ROM, I noticed a cleaner, more smooth response from the S3.

And yes, the apps you mentioned are TW only.

From a Liquid Nexus 5
    Being exclusive to Samsung devices do not make them TouchWiz. They are not part of TouchWiz and I don't think ChatOn is Samsung exclusive either, just the Voice and Video Chat component.

Carriers like Verizon add a lot more apps to Samsung devices than Samsung does.

Again, the issues are largely placebo.

I upgraded from an S3 with 4.3 and had zero battery or performance issues.

Then again I take care of my devices well and don't install a bunch of unnecessary apps or customization tools. The experience was flawless for me. Except the Samsung keyboard on that model was crappy.
    I do wish I could remove some of the Google Bloat like Hangouts and Google+, Picasa Sync Plugin, and useless Google Play components (music, newsstand, books, etc.).

Those are just as bad offenders as the Samsung apps. Google+ is a 50MB+ install if updated, even if you don't use it, for example. The fact that they are Google apps on an Android phone doesn't give them a free pass for classification as bloat ware.

They should all be optional installs. Samsung has gotten better at that since the S3. Really should not even be using that to base an opinion. That phone is over 2 years old lol. The newer devices are better especially the Note 3 and S5.

You basically proved my point that people are using experiences on old devices to pass judgement on current software revisions. Thanks.

Thanked by:
    brucedbr likes this.

Global Posts
    25,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Being exclusive to Samsung devices do not make them TouchWiz. They are not part of TouchWiz and I don't think ChatOn is Samsung exclusive either, just the Voice and Video Chat component.

Carriers like Verizon add a lot more apps to Samsung devices than Samsung does.

Again, the issues are largely placebo.

I upgraded from an S3 with 4.3 and had zero battery or performance issues.

Then again I take care of my devices well and don't install a bunch of unnecessary apps or customization tools. The experience was flawless for me. Except the Samsung keyboard on that model was crappy.
    I do wish I could remove some of the Google Bloat like Hangouts and Google+, Picasa Sync Plugin, and useless Google Play components (music, newsstand, books, etc.).

Those are just as bad offenders as the Samsung apps. Google+ is a 50MB+ install if updated, even if you don't use it, for example. The fact that they are Google apps on an Android phone doesn't give them a free pass for classification as bloat ware.

They should all be optional installs. Samsung has gotten better at that since the S3. Really should not even be using that to base an opinion. That phone is over 2 years old lol. The newer devices are better especially the Note 3 and S5.

You basically proved my point that people are using experiences on old devices to pass judgement on current software revisions. Thanks.

But the apps are still TW signed. Meaning they won't operate without the ROM being TW. If you want screenshots for proof, I can show you that I tried on my N5.

You didn't counter that TW is a RAM and internal memory hog.

As for the Google apps you don't care for, while you can't remove them and stay stock you can uninstall the updates and disable them.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

But the apps are still TW signed. Meaning they won't operate without the ROM being TW. If you want screenshots for proof, I can show you that I tried on my N5.

You didn't counter that TW is a RAM and internal memory hog.

As for the Google apps you don't care for, while you can't remove them and stay stock you can uninstall the updates and disable them.
    That's cause they're Samsung exclusive apps. Only Samsung phones run TW. What exactly is your point.

I have TouchWiz apps disabled. What is your point there?

Disabling an app doesn't uninstall it. We all know this. Bloat is bloat. Seems like some companies get a pass while others don't. Lol.

My GS2 got the TW5 and I never had RAM issues. The HTC One X didn't fare as well with Sense. My S3 had no such issues. Storage was fine.

My Note 3 is flawless in performance and with 3GB RAM I couldn't care less lol

Samsung's UI is fine for me. I don't have any real issues with it. It really doesn't bog down performance like people may think.

Sent from thr Note 3...and yeah, its spectacular.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

That's cause they're Samsung exclusive apps. Only Samsung phones run TW. What exactly is your point.

Disabling an app doesn't uninstall it. We all know this. Bloat is bloat. Seems like some companies get a pass while others don't. Lol.

My GS2 got the TW5 and I never had RAM issues. The HTC One X didn't fare as well with Sense. My S3 had no such issues. Storage was fine.

I wish my note 3 was flawless. I enjoy it, but I admit HTCs newest m8 is a bit more polish in the UI. One thing that drives me nuts about my note 3 is the way it loads web pages, as it arbitrarily shows the initial page, but you have to "wait" for it to load or risk hitting the wrong link as the page works to display properly on many sites.
    B0WIE likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    I wish my note 3 was flawless. I enjoy it, but I admit HTCs newest m8 is a bit more polish in the UI. One thing that drives me nuts about my note 3 is the way it loads web pages, as it arbitrarily shows the initial page, but you have to "wait" for it to load or risk hitting the wrong link as the page works to display properly on many sites.
    The Note 3 comes with two browsers preloaded. Stock and Chrome. Use the one that works best. HTC'S M8 only comes with Chrome IIRC. At least on Verizon.

I haven't noticed that issue but stock is the only browser I've ever used on my Samsung phones. I don't tend to load or keep redundant software enabled.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

S3 had 2gb RAM while the One X had 1gb. Issues were noted and not disputed. They just didn't bother some as much as others.

M8 is using 529MB of RAM on a fresh boot. S5 uses 1GB of RAM on fresh boot. The M8 already had WhatsApp up and running when I checked, so without that it's actually less. To deny that TouchWiz uses more resources is just that, pure denial.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    S3 had 2gb RAM while the One X had 1gb. Issues were noted and not disputed. They just didn't bother some as much as others.

M8 is using 529MB of RAM on a fresh boot. S5 uses 1GB of RAM on fresh boot. The M8 already had WhatsApp up and running when I checked, so without that it's actually less. To deny that TouchWiz uses more resources is just that, pure denial.
    Unless you're going to show a screenshot of what both devices have cached, I'm not going to take this seriously. Just with a grain of salt.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Note 3 comes with two browsers preloaded. Stock and Chrome. Use the one that works best. HTC'S M8 only comes with Chrome IIRC. At least on Verizon.

I haven't noticed that issue but stock is the only browser I've ever used on my Samsung phones. I don't tend to load or keep redundant software enabled.

AT&T M8 has Internet and Chrome pre-installed.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

AT&T M8 has Internet and Chrome pre-installed.

Then use which browser is fastest or has the features you need. I think the Verizon model ripped out the Stock Browser, but I'll have to recheck that.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Unless you're going to show a screenshot of what both devices have cached, I'm not going to take this seriously. Just with a grain of salt.

M8

S5

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

I asked for Cached Processes, cause you seem to be relying on people's ignorance WRT how Android manages memory to put forth this perception that TouchWiz uses 2x the RAM as HTC Sense.

TouchWiz Home uses < 80MB RAM on my Note 3. Flipboard is cached on startup and uses over 110MB.

I want to see the cached processes on both phones, not what's "Running."
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Then use which browser is fastest or has the features you need. I think the Verizon model ripped out the Stock Browser, but I'll have to recheck that.
    Agreed. For me it's Chrome because of the syncing.

There's no denying that TouchWiz causes slight stuttering whereas something like the later HTC Sense do not.

I've got a HTC One (2013), a Note 2 and a Note 3 next to me right now and I find the old HTC more fluid than the Note 3. I also have issues with the gaps in between widgets on TW... so much wasted space and it really bothers me enough to change launchers.

It's a shame, but TW really does need a lot more polish. I'm hoping the S5's version addresses these problems.

I'm inclined to reject any suggestion that any TouchWiz device is "flawless" in performance. Not sure any phone is tbh, but TouchWiz is certainly more prone to stutters and lag than Sense or Stock. At the end of day I'll probably stick with Samsung as I like some of their features, but I do wish they continue improving TW from both a performance and asthetics perspective. The performance did get better from Note II to III, but I'm still not a fan of, for instance, the grid size on the TW launcher.
    Thanked by:
    B0WIE likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I asked for Cached Processes, cause you seem to be relying on people's ignorance WRT how Android manages memory to put forth this perception that TouchWiz uses 2x the RAM as HTC Sense.

TouchWiz Home uses < 80MB RAM on my Note 3. Flipboard is cached on startup and uses over 110MB.

I want to see the cached processes on both phones, not what's "Running."
    No, you're confusing how the RAM is used. You want to try to pick it apart. Samsung chose what starts on boot. This is how the average user would see the device (except for MyMagazine, I turned it off).

I didn't compare TouchWiz Home to Sense Launcher (or whatever they call it) and normal users aren't going to differentiate it like that either. When you hit the graph button in the multi tasking menu it shows total RAM used. On the M8 the icon looks different, but does the same thing.

If you would prefer I can start saying "Samsung is terrible at RAM management but TouchWiz is nice and "light" ". Would that be more acceptable?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

An argument could be made that HTC is more forthcoming WRT what they show the user. It's much easier for me to tell what's actually using the RAM on the M8 than it is on the S5. Maybe save that discussion for another day though.

My dislike for TouchWiz isn't RAM usage though. It's the fact that they flattened it out but didn't actually streamline it all that much like they said. The Settings Menu doesn't have all the tabs, but it still has far too much scrolling involved to get to what you want. Quick Settings also has too much going on still. Granted, those are preferences, but those are also my critiques.

It does look MUCH nicer now, though.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,541 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

No, you're confusing how the RAM is used. You want to try to pick it apart. Samsung chose what starts on boot. This is how the average user would see the device (except for MyMagazine, I turned it off).

I didn't compare TouchWiz Home to Sense Launcher (or whatever they call it) and normal users aren't going to differentiate it like that either. When you hit the graph button in the multi tasking menu it shows total RAM used. On the M8 the icon looks different, but does the same thing.

If you would prefer I can start saying "Samsung is terrible at RAM management but TouchWiz is nice and "light" ". Would that be more acceptable?
    Makes no sense.

I want to see where the ram is being used.

So you seriously think Google Play services is using 0b RAM on the MS. Use your eyes, and just provide the cache screen shots of devices so we can see a ton of non TouchWiz apps are using ram in a cache.

Etc.

I fully understand what's going on. You're trying to state half of what's going on an attribute things loaded on the phone to TW when they aren't.

We're discussing the weight of TW not an average user. So I dunno why you're even wasting time with that dialog. I only asked for the cache screen shots. Nothing else.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Makes no sense.

I want to see where the ram is being used.

So you seriously think Google Play services is using 0b RAM on the MS. Use your eyes, and just provide the cache screen shots of devices so we can see a ton of non TouchWiz apps are using ram in a cache.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/me4ugega.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/ydedu2yg.jpg

Etc.

I fully understand what's going on. You're trying to state half of what's going on an attribute things loaded on the phone to TW when they aren't.

We're discussing the weight of TW not an average user. So I dunno why you're even wasting time with that dialog. I only asked for the cache screen shots. Nothing else.

I would love to do that in a fair way, but I'm not factory resetting. I did go in and try to find what you were looking for, but apparently new TouchWiz doesn't actually report what it uses for itself.

Case in point, right now 1GB is being used, but if I add up the list of running applications I only get 422.8MB. There is nothing listed that even has TouchWiz in the title.

Doing the same thing on the M8 I at least see one thing linked to Sense, which is HTC Sense Input (which is not the launcher). Out of 811MB RAM being used right now, the list of running services is 282.4MB.

The average user is the context we use here. If you say "average user doesn't matter" then neither does this entire discussion since you can just say "root and ROM it".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast