Not sure why there's so much dislike for Touchwiz

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll preface my post by saying prior to my note 3, I've only owned Motorola phones and nexus tablets. I found the UI's on my devices limited and always ended up using a 3rd party launcher. I even need 3rd party apps for the most basic things such as a decent battery indicator, home screen weather indicator (remember beautiful widgets?) or system toggles. In the end this just seemed to add bloat and occasional developer's bugs to my devices. I've not found it necessary to do anything to my note 3 except rearrange the screen order and replace a widget or two. I can't help but to notice the lack of love for TW. I've heard it called cartoonish, bloat, wasted resources. ... While I expect to hear this from HTC owners, I can't help but to notice some of these same comments coming from some current and past Samsung owners. In some forums, note 3 owners are eagerly anticipating and hoping we get the g5's version of TW. Honestly, this is the first and only phone I've ever owned that I've not needed to tweak or modify with a skin or app to suit my most basic phone needs. Im all about improving my phone but will be perfectly fine if i don't receive kit kat or a new version of TW. I wonder if the hatred is TW, or has Samsung become the new Apple?

Posted via Android Central App

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't like TW because it is memory hog for both RAM and internal storage.

Never had an issue with RAM and TouchWiz even on my S3. And as far as storage the Note 3 compared well with my iPhone 5S 32GB out the box.

Most issues with TW are fairly placebo and due to past versions of it. After TW3 a lot of people decided they'd scream lag, stutter, memory, etc. No matter how much better it gets.

Also space used by preloaded apps have nothing to do with TouchWiz. ChatOn, S Health, Samsung Hub, etc are not "TouchWiz" they are just apps loaded on the phone by the OEM and/or carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I too have used TW exclusively in the S3, S4, Note 3, and Note 8. I have tried the other popular launchers, etc. and have never found one that is better than TW. They are just different. If you like another "style" of launcher fine. But for me TW works well, doesn't add additional apps and their required storage space. The complaints about TW are like the complaints about using "plastic", just complaining for complaining's sake.
I smile every time I see how the S5 is not a great improvement, not innovative, lousy TW, made of plastic, ad infinitum, ad naseum and it sold twice as many units on day 1 that the S4 did.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Never had an issue with RAM and TouchWiz even on my S3. And as far as storage the Note 3 compared well with my iPhone 5S 32GB out the box.

Most issues with TW are fairly placebo and due to past versions of it. After TW3 a lot of people decided they'd scream lag, stutter, memory, etc. No matter how much better it gets.

Also space used by preloaded apps have nothing to do with TouchWiz. ChatOn, S Health, Samsung Hub, etc are not "TouchWiz" they are just apps loaded on the phone by the OEM and/or carrier.

And I am inclined to disagree. After shifting to an AOSP ROM, I noticed a cleaner, more smooth response from the S3.

And yes, the apps you mentioned are TW only.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
And I am inclined to disagree. After shifting to an AOSP ROM, I noticed a cleaner, more smooth response from the S3.

And yes, the apps you mentioned are TW only.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Being exclusive to Samsung devices do not make them TouchWiz. They are not part of TouchWiz and I don't think ChatOn is Samsung exclusive either, just the Voice and Video Chat component.

Carriers like Verizon add a lot more apps to Samsung devices than Samsung does.

Again, the issues are largely placebo.

I upgraded from an S3 with 4.3 and had zero battery or performance issues.

Then again I take care of my devices well and don't install a bunch of unnecessary apps or customization tools. The experience was flawless for me. Except the Samsung keyboard on that model was crappy.
I do wish I could remove some of the Google Bloat like Hangouts and Google+, Picasa Sync Plugin, and useless Google Play components (music, newsstand, books, etc.).

Those are just as bad offenders as the Samsung apps. Google+ is a 50MB+ install if updated, even if you don't use it, for example. The fact that they are Google apps on an Android phone doesn't give them a free pass for classification as bloat ware.

They should all be optional installs. Samsung has gotten better at that since the S3. Really should not even be using that to base an opinion. That phone is over 2 years old lol. The newer devices are better especially the Note 3 and S5.

You basically proved my point that people are using experiences on old devices to pass judgement on current software revisions. Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Being exclusive to Samsung devices do not make them TouchWiz. They are not part of TouchWiz and I don't think ChatOn is Samsung exclusive either, just the Voice and Video Chat component.

Carriers like Verizon add a lot more apps to Samsung devices than Samsung does.

Again, the issues are largely placebo.

I upgraded from an S3 with 4.3 and had zero battery or performance issues.

Then again I take care of my devices well and don't install a bunch of unnecessary apps or customization tools. The experience was flawless for me. Except the Samsung keyboard on that model was crappy.
I do wish I could remove some of the Google Bloat like Hangouts and Google+, Picasa Sync Plugin, and useless Google Play components (music, newsstand, books, etc.).

Those are just as bad offenders as the Samsung apps. Google+ is a 50MB+ install if updated, even if you don't use it, for example. The fact that they are Google apps on an Android phone doesn't give them a free pass for classification as bloat ware.

They should all be optional installs. Samsung has gotten better at that since the S3. Really should not even be using that to base an opinion. That phone is over 2 years old lol. The newer devices are better especially the Note 3 and S5.

You basically proved my point that people are using experiences on old devices to pass judgement on current software revisions. Thanks.

But the apps are still TW signed. Meaning they won't operate without the ROM being TW. If you want screenshots for proof, I can show you that I tried on my N5.

You didn't counter that TW is a RAM and internal memory hog.

As for the Google apps you don't care for, while you can't remove them and stay stock you can uninstall the updates and disable them.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
But the apps are still TW signed. Meaning they won't operate without the ROM being TW. If you want screenshots for proof, I can show you that I tried on my N5.

You didn't counter that TW is a RAM and internal memory hog.

As for the Google apps you don't care for, while you can't remove them and stay stock you can uninstall the updates and disable them.

That's cause they're Samsung exclusive apps. Only Samsung phones run TW. What exactly is your point.

I have TouchWiz apps disabled. What is your point there?

Disabling an app doesn't uninstall it. We all know this. Bloat is bloat. Seems like some companies get a pass while others don't. Lol.

My GS2 got the TW5 and I never had RAM issues. The HTC One X didn't fare as well with Sense. My S3 had no such issues. Storage was fine.

My Note 3 is flawless in performance and with 3GB RAM I couldn't care less lol

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Samsung's UI is fine for me. I don't have any real issues with it. It really doesn't bog down performance like people may think.

Sent from thr Note 3...and yeah, its spectacular.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That's cause they're Samsung exclusive apps. Only Samsung phones run TW. What exactly is your point.

Disabling an app doesn't uninstall it. We all know this. Bloat is bloat. Seems like some companies get a pass while others don't. Lol.

My GS2 got the TW5 and I never had RAM issues. The HTC One X didn't fare as well with Sense. My S3 had no such issues. Storage was fine.

I wish my note 3 was flawless. I enjoy it, but I admit HTCs newest m8 is a bit more polish in the UI. One thing that drives me nuts about my note 3 is the way it loads web pages, as it arbitrarily shows the initial page, but you have to "wait" for it to load or risk hitting the wrong link as the page works to display properly on many sites.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I wish my note 3 was flawless. I enjoy it, but I admit HTCs newest m8 is a bit more polish in the UI. One thing that drives me nuts about my note 3 is the way it loads web pages, as it arbitrarily shows the initial page, but you have to "wait" for it to load or risk hitting the wrong link as the page works to display properly on many sites.

The Note 3 comes with two browsers preloaded. Stock and Chrome. Use the one that works best. HTC'S M8 only comes with Chrome IIRC. At least on Verizon.

I haven't noticed that issue but stock is the only browser I've ever used on my Samsung phones. I don't tend to load or keep redundant software enabled.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

S3 had 2gb RAM while the One X had 1gb. Issues were noted and not disputed. They just didn't bother some as much as others.

M8 is using 529MB of RAM on a fresh boot. S5 uses 1GB of RAM on fresh boot. The M8 already had WhatsApp up and running when I checked, so without that it's actually less. To deny that TouchWiz uses more resources is just that, pure denial.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
S3 had 2gb RAM while the One X had 1gb. Issues were noted and not disputed. They just didn't bother some as much as others.

M8 is using 529MB of RAM on a fresh boot. S5 uses 1GB of RAM on fresh boot. The M8 already had WhatsApp up and running when I checked, so without that it's actually less. To deny that TouchWiz uses more resources is just that, pure denial.

Unless you're going to show a screenshot of what both devices have cached, I'm not going to take this seriously. Just with a grain of salt.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Note 3 comes with two browsers preloaded. Stock and Chrome. Use the one that works best. HTC'S M8 only comes with Chrome IIRC. At least on Verizon.

I haven't noticed that issue but stock is the only browser I've ever used on my Samsung phones. I don't tend to load or keep redundant software enabled.

AT&T M8 has Internet and Chrome pre-installed.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Unless you're going to show a screenshot of what both devices have cached, I'm not going to take this seriously. Just with a grain of salt.

mugepy6u.jpg

M8

nagavezu.jpg

S5

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I asked for Cached Processes, cause you seem to be relying on people's ignorance WRT how Android manages memory to put forth this perception that TouchWiz uses 2x the RAM as HTC Sense.

TouchWiz Home uses < 80MB RAM on my Note 3. Flipboard is cached on startup and uses over 110MB.

I want to see the cached processes on both phones, not what's "Running."