Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTA available on Verizon Galaxy Note 3

Decided, on a lark, to see if there were any OTA updates available for my Note 3. Surprisingly, an "unknown" update was available and my phone is currently installing it. Could this finally be the long overdue 4.4 update? I know it's not an incremental update since I just checked a few times over the last couple of days and until this morning I was up to date. Can anyone else check and verify that they too are getting this update?

Default OTA software update

I just did a manual update check in the settings and it said there is a new update. I'm guessing is kit kat, I'm currently downloading it.

Posted via Android Central App

Default re: OTA available on Verizon Galaxy Note 3

You beat me to post it.
    Yea currently downloading it.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default Re: OTA software update

Funny, I just posted this as well

Crossing fingers that it is true.

Default Re: OTA software update

I'm downloading it now. We shall see

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Success! Now, let's go bug hunting....

Mine is updating right now. Will also factory reset after this.

Will doin a factory reset help the update settle in better..

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roninjoker View Post
    Decided, on a lark, to see if there were any OTA updates available for my Note 3. Surprisingly, an "unknown" update was available and my phone is currently installing it. Could this finally be the long overdue 4.4 update? I know it's not an incremental update since I just checked a few times over the last couple of days and until this morning I was up to date. Can anyone else check and verify that they too are getting this update?
    Mine updated. Only took about 10 minutes. No voice mail service.

sent from my Note 3

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpsilva95 View Post

By factory reset you mean having to reinstall all your apps etc? ?

sent from my Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by rpsilva95 View Post

You don't need to do one, but consider it if you're having numerous issues after the update. If having issues with only one or two apps then I would try uninstalling and reinstalling those before doing a factory reset.

please back away from the screen

Quote Originally Posted by roninjoker View Post
    On a lark = tapping check for update every half hour like the rest of us are doing!

I noticed the only issue that I am seeing is the one everybody who got the update yesterday was with the voice mail not working

Global Posts
    1,453 Global Posts

Sorry, am a relative android noob so pardon my ignorance. If I do upgrade OTA, does it clear the phone's data? I already made a backup yesterday in anticipation but just wanted to clarify if the upgrade process automatically takes care of creating a backup and then restoring or do we have to do it manually.

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by kazmi View Post
    Sorry, am a relative android noob so pardon my ignorance. If I do upgrade OTA, does it clear the phone's data? I already made a backup yesterday in anticipation but just wanted to clarify if the upgrade process automatically takes care of creating a backup and then restoring or do we have to do it manually.

TIA!
    No. Your data should be safe.
    Thanked by:
    kazmi 

Factory reset is not needed, however I like to reboot my phones after each update to make sure the new software settles in. But I do agree if you are having issues after the update and rebooting your phones does not help. Then I would go with a reset.

How will this affect Launchers on 4.3? I started a new thread in hopes that I'd get some help. Using Nova Prime and I love the current setup. Will 4.4.x change anything?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Just saw mine was available and started download...will see how it goes.

Downloading now!

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phathands View Post
    You don't need to do one, but consider it if you're having numerous issues after the update. If having issues with only one or two apps then I would try uninstalling and reinstalling those before doing a factory reset.

Ok Thanks! So far all is good with the exception of my wifi randomly turning itself off and 4G coming on but it was doing that prior to the update

sent from my Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
    Just saw mine was available and started download...will see how it goes.
    It took about the 12 minutes it said it would and I notice no change except the visual voice mail thingy which I think is a free trial and not free basic visual voice mail...we shall see. The battery icon is white...i have not gone through setting but music and other downloads all seem to be accessible. I use novaprime and see no changes there either.

Getting a error unable to load after downloading and trying to install it. Anybody else getting this?

My only complaint is I can no longer press the home button to light my screen up while the s view cover is installed. The cover was designed to prevent it, but my tempered glass allowed it to work until the update.

Minus my small annoyance I'm pleased with what I'm seeing and glad I got the update.

Quote Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
    It took about the 12 minutes it said it would and I notice no change except the visual voice mail thingy which I think is a free trial and not free basic visual voice mail...we shall see. The battery icon is white...i have not gone through setting but music and other downloads all seem to be accessible. I use novaprime and see no changes there either.
    Same here. I use the free nova launcher that looks okay.

I think there's a few more settings that I've never seen before but I have no idea what to do with either.

I'm pretty sure the basic voicemail isn't a trial. Mine asked me to subscribe to it and did tell me it would be free.

Took one picture to see if it would save to my sd card and it seems to have done that which was a big concern of mine.

Not crazy about the white battery icon though everything looks too much the same.

It did kick out my wifi and a few other settings that I just went in and reset.

I did reboot before the upgrade and I'm going to reboot again now.

So, I guess the "dirty deed" is done and we'll see how it goes.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

I just tested the basic voicemail. It looks like what they've done is given us a free 30 day trial of the premium voicemail and I would imagine if you don't subscribe to the premium voicemail it will just revert to basic voicemail after the 30 days. At least that's the way it looks to me.

The premium voicemail does look pretty cool but it really grates on me to have to pay three bucks a month extra which I currently do not do. Of course maybe the price went up too, I don't know.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast