Update unsuccessful

hawkeye680

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and took the OTA today because I need to get rid of root to return this phone to Verizon for the 4g/3g issue.

However, I have downloaded it twice now and it fails to install. Anybody else having any issues?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Went ahead and took the OTA today because I need to get rid of root to return this phone to Verizon for the 4g/3g issue.

However, I have downloaded it twice now and it fails to install. Anybody else having any issues?

Did you delete any apps after rooting? For the OTA to work, you pretty much have to be stock.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Doing an OTA is not recommended if you are rooted. It might unroot you but it might also cause problems.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
From my past experience with rooted phones and OTAs you have to replace all the OEM apps and then unroot for the OTA to download successfully. The "failed" message always meant you aren't "factory" and unrooted.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Unrooted and factory reset. Still will not apply update.

I mentioned this before but you have to be stock or the update will fail. A factory data reset will not replace apps that were deleted. You need to find a stock Verizon ROM that's the latest build before this update.

hawkeye680

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Did a full "Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation" using Kies. That allowed me to download the update. Back to stock it went for it's trip back to Verizon.

Hopefully the replacement device will not be updated so I can get it rooted properly.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site