Kitkat update failing

DomenicT

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody I am running into a issue where I have downloaded the kitkat update via ota once it's finished downloading the phone reboots to install and while installing I get like 25% through and gets a error. It boots back into jelly bean and says update did not complete. I did have safestrap and my phone rooted. I am back to stock and removed safestrap but the phone is still rooted. I also wiped Tried again to update but same issue. Any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi everybody I am running into a issue where I have downloaded the kitkat update via ota once it's finished downloading the phone reboots to install and while installing I get like 25% through and gets a error. It boots back into jelly bean and says update did not complete. I did have safestrap and my phone rooted. I am back to stock and removed safestrap but the phone is still rooted. I also wiped Tried again to update but same issue. Any ideas?

If you were previously rooted, why would you go back to stock? Haven't custom kitkat Roms been out for months? Just curious. When I had my Galaxy Nexus, I would never think of going back to stock since I had the updates months before Verizon pushed them out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You might look into the pre-rooted leaked 4.4 by Beanstown over at XDA. I've installed that, runs great AND I've still got root on kit kat! Now waiting for him to get root on current OTA. As long as you follow instructions exactly as directed you should have no problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2740466

Beans post about current OTA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52604025&postcount=76

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App

DomenicT

May 13, 2014
Visit site
You might look into the pre-rooted leaked 4.4 by Beanstown over at XDA. I've installed that, runs great AND I've still got root on kit kat! Now waiting for him to get root on current OTA. As long as you follow instructions exactly as directed you should have no problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2740466

Beans post about current OTA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52604025&postcount=76

The problem if I do what you are recommending and need to send the phone back for some reason how do I get back to stock?

DomenicT

May 13, 2014
Visit site

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, and FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY! Don't be alarmed if first boot seems to take some extra time. This is normal.

DomenicT

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Good luck, and FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY! Don't be alarmed if first boot seems to take some extra time. This is normal.

I like to report that I have updated to Kitkat via instructions that you have provided. Thank you!

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Hey Lefty Drummer,

First off, thanks again for providing the link you gave. As usual, before I root/flash anything etc., I've read all of the instructions in it's entirety, but I still have a few questions before starting though...

My 4.3 VZW Note 3 is already rooted, but I have never installed any version of Safestrap, so is it necessary to install it first and should it be version 3.65? Once installing it, is there a backup procedure that I'm to follow in order to be able to return to 4.3 if desired?

Next question is where it says that I am to "Verify That You Are Running ANY rooted 4.3 Rom on STOCK SLOT..." I'm not very familiar with the different "slots" so how do I verify that I'm on the "Stock Slot"? The next section also refers to this when it reads to "Boot into stock slot" so again, how can I verify what "slot" the device boots up into?

The rest I've done before many times as far as the flashing in Odin and all, but if you could help me with these questions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

B.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
B,

You're welcome.

To answer your questions - Yes you need to install Safestrap, ver. 3.65. After you install it, open it and click install recovery. Once you do that, restart your phone and you'll see the Safestrap splash screen. If you touch Recovery, it will take you to the touch based recovery. Safestrap uses slots to install roms safely, leaving the 'stock' rom untouched. You won't need to worry about any slots with this process. You'll automatically be on the stock slot since all you've done is root the phone.
After you install the zip from your SD card and the .tar file from Odin, your first reboot will take a bit of time and Safestrap will have been deleted, the phone will boot with its normal boot splash screens. You'll only need to reinstall the new Safestrap (3.72 for KitKat ) if you intend to install different roms. SuperSu will have been installed, and you can verify root with Root Checker. You'll then be on KitKat stock NC2 just not the latest OTA NC4. I honestly don't know the difference between the two except of course the leaked KitKat has root and at least to this point the OTA does not have root access nor a way back to 4.3 in the event of some sort of disaster.
Backup whatever you feel you need to however you wish. Not required to back up 4.3 unless you really feel like you should. As I said in the event of a disaster you'll probably have to use Odin to flash a stock 4.3 image.
Hope this helps and answers your questions, good luck! Follow instructions and it will be fine, especially since you're experienced with flashing.