Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.4.2 KitKat Update - First Impressions

Just got the update this morning. Too soon to give an opinion but will do so by the end of the day.

I'm hoping the camera functions better in medium and low light conditions.

What are your first impressions and experiences??? Does it fix anything for you? Break anything?

Default Re: 4.4.2 KitKat Update - First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInCT View Post
    Just got the update this morning. Too soon to give an opinion but will do so by the end of the day.

I'm hoping the camera functions better in medium and low light conditions.

What are your first impressions and experiences??? Does it fix anything for you? Break anything?
    I'm only seeing a marginal improvement in performance but this phone has been stellar since day 1...I'm just the kind of guy that likes updating just to be updating....lol. I haven't experienced any SD card issues as well so I'm Good.
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!

Only thing I've noticed is battery and signal strength icons changed and you have to specify a messaging app. Also that FoxFi seems to work now (at least for now until Verizon breaks it again).

Posted via Android Central App

Battery life does seem somewhat improved. Not a huge difference but RAM usage is down.

Like others mentioned, everything thing is white across the top now.

I don't know if the rain storm that just past through the area is the cause. But my signal strength is down and 4G performance has dropped a little. Will try again later from a different location.

Clearly it was a tower issue. Had some normal or greater speeds when at lunch on what should have been a different tower

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

First problem I've noticed: My phone won't charge when connected to my laptop via the USB port anymore. Had to switch to the plug-in USB power adapter.
    Last edited by JoeInCT; 05-16-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Hate not being able to no longer edit and save documents stored on my SDcard.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Jude526 and DebbieHeaney like this.

I got my update last night. The only thing I see thus far is I'm getting 3G more often now. Grrrrrrrr! Not real happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    Hate not being able to no longer edit and save documents stored on my SDcard.

I haven't noticed any difference in how the SD card works.

sforsyth01 likes this.

My pgone has become very sluggish and tx take forever to send gunna try a hard reset and see what happeneds

I just got my update this morning 6 am here in South Florida....

It took about 10 minutes and no problems. 😊😀

I'll report later if I see any problems.....

My download is happening right now at McDonalds and seems like it's taking forever!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

I'm having sd card issues as well. Camera zoom FX will not save to sd card anymore

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Is anyone else having problems with the multi screen? Mine is dividing the screen like it used to.

Hi Everyone,

I updated my galaxy s4 (gt-i9505) about 2 month ago via OTA. Since than I have a very strange problem. Without any reason and randomly I loose the sound. Lockscreen sound, ringtone, or any other sound. After rebooting my device everything works fine for a couple of hours or min. depending on the day. I have done several factory resets and even flashed a few differnet roms, still having the same problem. I really don't know what to do any more. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

multiscreen?

iv not heard of that, can u screen shot it/

thanks

im the htc one

My phone seems a bit faster and more responsive and battery life has improved. I also like the white icons.

Overall, this seems like it was a very minor update. I think that the people who freaking out over their perceived delay of this update now understand why I was laughing at them.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by snocone View Post
    multiscreen?

iv not heard of that, can u screen shot it/

thanks

im the htc one
    Just search for it on Google and/or YouTube.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

I agree with most of the other posters. Other than a notification status bar color change and even MORE added bloatwear I see virtually no change. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmoe110 View Post
    I haven't noticed any difference in how the SD card works.

If you have word and excel type documents stored on your SDcard, you can no longer edit and save them using apps like Documents To Go, as well as other office apps.
    All files on the SDcard are now Read Only. You can only edit and save your changes if they're moved to the internal memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you have word and excel type documents stored on your SDcard, you can no longer edit and save them using apps like Documents To Go, as well as other office apps.
    All files on the SDcard are now Read Only. You can only edit and save your changes if they're moved to the internal memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    This isn't quite true. You can use Quick Office to open files that were made with other programs and then edit and save them to the SD Card as long as you save them with either a new name or in a new folder. To access the SD Card in Quick Office when you are either opening or saving a file, click the menu button then settings and choose the show advanced devices option.

And to be clear, you only have to do this renaming or saving to a new folder once. After that you can just edit and save as normal in Quick Office. And of course any file that was created with QO doesn't need to be renamed at all.
    Last edited by jpr; 05-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    This isn't quite true. You can use Quick Office to open files that were made with other programs and then edit and save them to the SD Card as long as you save them with either a new name or in a new folder. To access the SD Card in Quick Office when you are either opening or saving a file, click the menu button then settings and choose the show advanced devices option.

And to be clear, you only have to do this renaming or saving to a new folder once. After that you can just edit and save as normal in Quick Office. And of course any file that was created with QO doesn't need to be renamed at all.
    I don't use Quick Office because I have quite a few spreadsheets that contain a lot of data, and the lag when using Quick Office while trying to edit those files is unbearable.
    I also had folders stored on my SDcard that were synced to my Dropbox account using the Dropsync app. I could easily make changes using Documents To Go, and have it two way sync to my Dropbox account. After the new update I had to move all of the files and folders that I sync using Dropsync to my internal memory.

I don't use Quick Office because I have quite a few spreadsheets that contain a lot of data, and the lag when using Quick Office while trying to edit those files is unbearable.
    I also had folders stored on my SDcard that were synced to my Dropbox account using the Dropsync app. I could easily make changes using Documents To Go, and have it two way sync to my Dropbox account. After the new update I had to move all of the files and folders that I sync using Dropsync to my internal memory.

Well you can ask Dropsync and Docs to Go to fix that. They have the choice. Kit Kat is not stopping them.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Well you can ask Dropsync and Docs to Go to fix that. They have the choice. Kit Kat is not stopping them.
    From what I was told, only Google and OEM approved apps have the ability to save to the SDcard. All other 3rd party apps are excluded.

From what I was told, only Google and OEM approved apps have the ability to save to the SDcard. All other 3rd party apps are excluded.

That is absolutely not true. The SD Card is writable by any app. The devs just need to fix their apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast