Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShaggyKids
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Post KitKat - No Improvements to Multi-window?

I was really hoping Kit Kat would make improvements to the multi window function but it doesn't seem like that happened.

I hope I'm just missing something so I'm going to ask, has anyone found multi window got better such as being able to add more apps than previously?

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Default Re: Post KitKat - No Improvements to Multi-window?

Your wanting to run 3 apps on the same screen?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

I haven't updated yet, but I use MW Apps Manager. Most all apps (admittedly not many) I want are available. But, this app requires root access I'm pretty sure.

Global Posts
    2,454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That would be a Samsung TouchWiz improvement, not something from Google or the OS (KitKat in the situation).

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    I was really hoping Kit Kat would make improvements to the multi window function but it doesn't seem like that happened.

I hope I'm just missing something so I'm going to ask, has anyone found multi window got better such as being able to add more apps than previously?

Deb from my Note 3
    Try MW-Pen App Enabler. It enables many more apps to work with multi window without having to root:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iwindow.enable

It's the app developers that provide support for multi window in their apps. So an OS upgrade isn't going to add more apps. You should contact the devs of the apps you want to request it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnGrad View Post
    Your wanting to run 3 apps on the same screen?

No, I'm wanting to add more apps widgets to the multi window slide bar.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb

Well, I did not upgrade to KitKat, but ever since Verizon released it, I can no longer access the multi screen feature. And I use it all the time so needless to say, I am not amused.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evilguppy View Post
    Well, I did not upgrade to KitKat, but ever since Verizon released it, I can no longer access the multi screen feature. And I use it all the time so needless to say, I am not amused.
    Are you sure you didn't just turn it off by accident? Hold the back arrow down and see if the tab pops back up

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Its there its just I was hoping to be able to put more widgets on it. There are limitations that and I thought they might increase the number of widgets you can put on it with the upgrade but I am finding that is not the case.

The big screen that slides out when you click on the Edit button that has additional widgets seems to be limited to about half a screen full and I can't find a way to add more widgets there either? I can't find a way to delete the widgets that I don't need on that in order to make room for widgets that I would like to put on there.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb

I'm rooted and I can add a bunch of stuff to the multi-window. I assume it's because I'm rooted.

The only thing is, the one "app" that I can't add is the one that I *really* want in there - the phone. That's the one thing that I'd like to be able to share with another window.

You know that you can actually open additional windows and minimize them using the Spen? When you do that, it creates a floating, persistent icon that stays on the screen even when you close your existing window. You can have three or four of them always available if you don't mind the clutter and you can move the floating icons around if yoy want. It's a variation of multitasking, I suppose.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Sounds pretty cool I'll have to try that sometime.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb

Its there its just I was hoping to be able to put more widgets on it. There are limitations that and I thought they might increase the number of widgets you can put on it with the upgrade but I am finding that is not the case.

The big screen that slides out when you click on the Edit button that has additional widgets seems to be limited to about half a screen full and I can't find a way to add more widgets there either? I can't find a way to delete the widgets that I don't need on that in order to make room for widgets that I would like to put on there.

Deb from my Note 3
    Like I said, it's up to the app developers to make their apps compatible with multi window. I have 50 some apps in my multiwindow pane. Samsung has already opened it up to be available to all apps. It's the app developers that have or haven't added support for it. So contact the devs of the apps you want there and ask them for it.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Ok thanks.

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb

No I did not turn off multi screen by mistake. It's good and dead. Also I just got notified that my sd card is safe to remove??? I think I'm being forced to update to kitkat. I do not like this at all.

Its not just the app developers, even on my note2 my moms us celluar note2 would use almost any app you moved to multi window, and I couldn't. . Its a verizon thing.

It bugged me that two of the same phones were different just because of the carrier.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

http://www.verizonwireless.com/suppo...xy-note-3.html

That is the link to the 4.4.2 changelog there has been some changes to multi-window but I doubt it's what you're looking for

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kj11 View Post
    Are you sure you didn't just turn it off by accident? Hold the back arrow down and see if the tab pops back up

Ever since the update I can no longer access the multi screen feature. I hold down the back arrow button and nothing happens. Is there a setting for it somewhere?

Fixed my own problem! Saw on another post that there is a setting for the multi window under settings / My Device / Display. Even though Multi Window was already checked off it wasn't working. So I just unchecked it and then checked it again and now my Multi window feature is working!
    Last edited by Shoesmom; 06-29-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Found the answer.

Deb from my Note 3
    Hey Deb.... AFAIK, and what's been said already: app devs must add this option for their app to appear in the full screen pane to add to the multi window drawer itself. What's there is only what supports it.
    Once you're in edit mode, tap and hold for a moment then drag the app icon from the MW drawer to the MW full screen pane then let go. It will successfully be moved there. Then you can drag from the MW full screen pane any amount of the app icons to the MW drawer you prefer. You can also order them while in the drawer as well. Simply tap hold and drag to a different vertical position. Hope this assists! Good luck... Peace
    PS: i have 12 app icons in my MW drawer.

Breathe... you'll feel better!
    GalaxyNote3/S4;RazrHD/Maxx;Droid3/2;Z6c/tv;E815;V710;V60s/i;EricssonT39m;StarTac7868/7860;MicroTacElite;UltraClassic II
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I have 12 as well but would prefer to be able to choose whichever apps *I* want to put in *my* multi-window as should everyone else. We can't do that as long as it's restricted to each developer's option to allow or not allow this. That's a ridiculous way to do things because you're having to deal individually with each developer. This option should be available directly through multi-window without restrictions.
    Deb
    anon8380037 likes this.