Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Something is eating my battery!!

I'm not sure if it's kitkats fault but something in Android system is killing my battery! Take a look.

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Something is eating my battery!!-2014-05-16-16-41-40.jpg   Something is eating my battery!!-2014-05-16-16-41-30.jpg  
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Something is eating my battery!!

It didn't seem to drain like this as far as Android goes. I've had the update since Monday now

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've had the phone off the charger for about 30,mins

How much time was Google play services using?? How much screen time?

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Is this a joke? 13 minutes off the charger and your at 98% and you want to know what's eating your battery? Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    Is this a joke? 13 minutes off the charger and your at 98% and you want to know what's eating your battery? Am I missing something here?

LOL, I wasn't gonna go there, but you did!!! I was thinking the same thing, and it was 30 minutes off the charger.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    LOL, I wasn't gonna go there, but you did!!! I was thinking the same thing, and it was 30 minutes off the charger.
    Maybe there is a real problem. But, it's sure not illustrated in the screen captures. I know that my phone, before and after the update, sometimes has a quick surge in the first 15 minutes off the charger where it dips down like 5-7% before I even do anything. I just attribute it to synchronization and updating.

Since getting KK I have noticed my battery life is much worse. Now that they have gone all apple and locked out seeing wakelock info I can't tell what the frick is causing it. I hate how android is locking all this stuff down very annoying so now if I want that info I have to root my phone and void my warranty. Not happy..
    tonyr6 likes this.

I've noticed this for the past few weeks even before the KitKat update. Like yours seems like other than the screen, Android System, Google Play Services & Android OS are the biggest consumers. I first noticed it because It used to gain charge when charging in the car. With GPS on and Podcast playing through Bluetooth I would still be positive and charge at about +500mA. Now no longer, I'm doing -190mA using the same charger and same apps measured by Battery Monitor Widget.

I get that Android System battery gobbler too... on occasion. It happened before I downloaded Kit Kat. Sometimes it steals more than 30% for me. It ate my battery alive before.

I used to use about 50% by the end of the day. Now by 4p I am less than 10% . Hopefully this will settle down after a few days.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Anyone figure out why our batteries are draining so quickly? I've noticed the same thing for a few weeks now. No change since upgrading to KitKat.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I actually just did a reset and it seemed to help a bit..I did lose my pictures though.

People have said to do a factory reset. Unfortunately I have too many things that will be erased. So I went the other route. I got an extended battery instead. First the Anker 6400 mAh extended battery, now just ordered the Zerolemon extended battery

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Just to add.. I noticed the same thing and it's definitely kit Kat related. I've had no changes to the phone other than the update. It's very noticeable. 15 min off charger down to 94% with phone in my pocket! I'll do the reset. My battery was insanely great before the update.
    Thanked by:
    mchi5 
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Since my reset I've had my phone off the charger since 4:30 and I'm at 79%. Though while at work I do sit in my car and charge for roughly 15 mins which boost it up an extra 7-10%. I'm pretty happy.

That's great except I have no idea where you live or what time zone you're in lol! Are you saying the reset worked?

I've been having same problem. Yesterday and day before it drained faster than my wife's GS4. I turned the 'location' off (was GPS before KK)...and that helps. But why the heck should I have to turn things off when I didn't have to before???
    Is the reset really working?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

It's 1:00 am now and I'm at 61%. Unplugged at 4:30 pm. Oh and I live in central Florida

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I also generally leave gps off since I don't it using up my data and it's a big drain I believe. I simply just turn it on as needed or before a trip somewhere. As well as all the palm view and air view.

That is exactly what is happening to my Note 3. . .
    Galaxy Note 3 was sent OTA update for kit kat 4.4.2 March 17, 8:10 am after that update the phone battery started dropping, the screen started freezing up and lagging, home button no longer was working, worst of all I can not send or receive text messages, phone call reception is poor and get more dropped calls in areas that use to be very solid reception. I did everything samsung and verizon told me to do, battery out and back in , sims card out and back in, empty cache, etc.... nothing worked! Very upset, can not communicate with my son via text messaging unless I make it a multimedia message and send via data, but still do not receive his texts back . . .the next day if I turn off the phone and turn it back on a few text messages will come streaming in . . but not all of them. My battery use to last a full day with heavy use and a day and a half with minimum use . . now it is only lasting 3-4 hours!?!?!?!?! I was told by Samsung that I can not remove the update but that they can "reflash the software" at one of their samsung experience shops (i.e. Best Buy). I called one of their experts and they told me that they will just re-install the update to make sure it was loaded correctly.??? That maybe it was interrupted during installation causing the problems. Nothing interrupted it . . and if this is true than how come the users that downloaded the updated via wired to pc are having the same problems?? Verizon offered a refurbished replacement. ., .I told them no way. I spent a lot of money and this phone is only a few months old. Does anyone know if the software update can be removed?
    Thanked by:

I bit the bullet and just did a factory reset. After it settles down I'll post results.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Hagan View Post
    That is exactly what is happening to my Note 3. . .
    Galaxy Note 3 was sent OTA update for kit kat 4.4.2 March 17, 8:10 am after that update the phone battery started dropping, the screen started freezing up and lagging, home button no longer was working, worst of all I can not send or receive text messages, phone call reception is poor and get more dropped calls in areas that use to be very solid reception. I did everything samsung and verizon told me to do, battery out and back in , sims card out and back in, empty cache, etc.... nothing worked! Very upset, can not communicate with my son via text messaging unless I make it a multimedia message and send via data, but still do not receive his texts back . . .the next day if I turn off the phone and turn it back on a few text messages will come streaming in . . but not all of them. My battery use to last a full day with heavy use and a day and a half with minimum use . . now it is only lasting 3-4 hours!?!?!?!?! I was told by Samsung that I can not remove the update but that they can "reflash the software" at one of their samsung experience shops (i.e. Best Buy). I called one of their experts and they told me that they will just re-install the update to make sure it was loaded correctly.??? That maybe it was interrupted during installation causing the problems. Nothing interrupted it . . and if this is true than how come the users that downloaded the updated via wired to pc are having the same problems?? Verizon offered a refurbished replacement. ., .I told them no way. I spent a lot of money and this phone is only a few months old. Does anyone know if the software update can be removed?
    Have you tried a factory reset? I see that you have tried everything VZW told you but there is no mention of a factory reset. Also reflash could help because when your downloading, parts of it might not of downloaded correctly. Think of it like this. Your sending nothing but 1 and 0 and each is a byte. The file is over 500mb so that's a lot of 1 and 0. The chances of some of them being messed up is very likely.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

I have been able to improve my battery consumption, not sure if it is the root of the problem or not. One thing that seems to improve the battery for me was in the Settings / Wireless and networks / Mobile Networks / Network mode I changed it from Global to "LTE/CDMA".. I've also changed the Settings / Location / Mode to "GPS only". I've also turned off the Settings / Display / Smart screen. If you haven't tried those things might try to see if it improves things.

Here is my follow up from the posts above. I can 1000% definitely report that factory resetting my phone fixed the battery issue. There is no doubt about it. No changes to phone prior to kit Kat update and after kit Kat update. Prior to update, with average use I would drop 10 percent battery in a few hours time. After Kitkat update it would drop 8 percent in 15 minutes and another 8-10 percent over next hour. So in same period of time, where I should have had 90% battery I had 70-75%. That is noticeable. After the factory reset I dropped to 95% battery after 2 hours of moderate use! So folks I strongly recommend a factory reset if you have issues.

Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast