Stock Galaxy Note 3 Phones Only: Any Regrets after Upgrading to KitKat, or are you glad you did?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Stock Verizon Note 3, and because it is running so well, I am reluctant to accept the OTA Update that I'm being nagged about. I don't care about root, flashing, etc., so would like to restrict this thread to stock phones only.

I consistently get 3-4 hours of Screen Time, with anywhere from 15 to 30% battery left by the end of the day. Call quality is fine, responsiveness is excellent, WiFi great, with only the very rare notification about it being unstable. Basically I don't have to worry/think about it - it just works.

I've been monitoring threads here and at XDA, and while I understand that forums will select for those with problems, vs those that don't, I'm concerned that my battery performance will get worse, lagginess will result, etc., as there are multiple reports about that and other things. I'm not worried about the SD Card issue, as I understand that is an App-based issue that developers can work around if they chose.

**So, for those who have accepted the OTA Update to KitKat - are you happy that you did, or would you turn back the clock and not accept it if you had a choice? I would really like to hear from both sides of this - those with problems, and those without. And if you're unhappy, what are the specific issue(s) that have arisen?**

Thanks.

(And as a side-issue, if anyone knows a way to, without root, stop the nagging notifications to Update, that would be great. I've searched extensively, and have not found a solution. Disabling Google Services Framework Notifications only worked temporarily.)

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Because of that annoying KitKat update "pop up" (I couldn't take it anymore), I decided to update last night, so far so good with the exception of the font change on the lock screen (can't change it), it's not really as disappointing as I thought it would be. Not sure about the battery as it's to early to tell the difference good or bad. Overall everything seems to be quicker, I like the idea of the white battery indicator on the notification bar and other little enhancements the new KitKat brings, but I'm not sure this update warrented a new OS name change. I will definetly be monitoring my Note3 closely in the days to come as with any new OS update on any device. YES, I'm glad I finally updated. So far I haven't had any of the problems with the KitKat update that I have read about and I hope the problems remain dormant.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Stock Verizon Note 3, and because it is running so well, I am reluctant to accept the OTA Update that I'm being nagged about. I don't care about root, flashing, etc., so would like to restrict this thread to stock phones only.

I consistently get 3-4 hours of Screen Time, with anywhere from 15 to 30% battery left by the end of the day. Call quality is fine, responsiveness is excellent, WiFi great, with only the very rare notification about it being unstable. Basically I don't have to worry/think about it - it just works.

I've been monitoring threads here and at XDA, and while I understand that forums will select for those with problems, vs those that don't, I'm concerned that my battery performance will get worse, lagginess will result, etc., as there are multiple reports about that and other things. I'm not worried about the SD Card issue, as I understand that is an App-based issue that developers can work around if they chose.

**So, for those who have accepted the OTA Update to KitKat - are you happy that you did, or would you turn back the clock and not accept it if you had a choice? I would really like to hear from both sides of this - those with problems, and those without. And if you're unhappy, what are the specific issue(s) that have arisen?**

Thanks.

(And as a side-issue, if anyone knows a way to, without root, stop the nagging notifications to Update, that would be great. I've searched extensively, and have not found a solution. Disabling Google Services Framework Notifications only worked temporarily.)

I've really not had major issues. There isn't much difference honestly. As far as battery if anything my battery life seems better now but also I'm using battery doctor which really helps.

sent from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No issues here. Seems to run a little faster. Other than that, everything works, with the exception of certain apps and sd card, but there are other similar apps that can be used

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the replies so far. Sounds encouraging. I was hoping that in general the update created few problems, and that those who did have problems might have some particular apps, settings tweaks, or other idiosyncrasies that unfortunately left them with poorer functioning phones.

Additional input, good and bad, still welcome.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
None now that I reset my note. Apps and all seem vibrant and new.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Every time you do a factory reset and then DO NOT let google restore your phone for you typically you find your phone feels brand new. This is because we download little things we use 2 or three times and then don't fully delete those types of things and they begin to pile up. Little here little there... you should try a full restore, delete all the data everywhere on the phone. Put all your pictures and stuff on the external, not the music, rechoose that selectively as well, then boot into the STOCK recovery, and do a wipe on the data, a factory reset, and anything else you can wipe. It will be absolutely brand new after that. Will result in a crazy snappy phone comparatively.

tomksae

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I need to do a factory reset but Kitkat has been terrible thus far. Crash/reboot at least once per day, closes apps and refuses to open some at other random times. I need to do a forum search on how to backup my phone so that I can save my data, but this has been pretty bad so far.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been on KitKat 2 days now and have had no problems, in fact I think I like it!
Seems a bit faster, battery life is better. I was able to restore the screen saver font.
I have actually found No problems and I was expecting some. At this point I would not go back to Jelly Bean 4.3! What a surprise, Huh! !!!!!!!!
So far, So good! !!!!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I need to do a factory reset but Kitkat has been terrible thus far. Crash/reboot at least once per day, closes apps and refuses to open some at other random times. I need to do a forum search on how to backup my phone so that I can save my data, but this has been pretty bad so far.

Yours is the first major negative experience so far in this thread.

Can you identify anything unusual in your situation, such as having previously rooted your device, flashed other ROM's, disabled or frozen a significant number of Verizon 'bloatware' or other system apps, 3rd Party Launcher or other system-wide apps, enabled unusual Developer settings, or anything that would make your device somewhat out of the 'mainstream'?

Thanks for your report.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Helium can backup app and app data sd card. Easebackup to backup data like call logs and sms. On KitKat, easebackup won't backup to sd card but you can use the cloud.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i haven't run into really any issues.....i use officesuite pro and have all of my docs on sd card. after the update i cannot save docs unless i save them to internal and then move them to the sd card. irritating but it is the new function of the sd card with kitkat. i haven't had an issue with any other music, pics, or books on my sd card.

i seem to be in the minority and don't like the all white notification icons.....not a big huge deal, i'm just not a fan.

haven't noticed any huge bump in speed or battery life, or any negative actions of such....so meh....once again an update everyone holds their breath for, but really doesn't bring any amazing changes.....my opinion so far.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
i haven't run into really any issues.....i use officesuite pro and have all of my docs on sd card. after the update i cannot save docs unless i save them to internal and then move them to the sd card. irritating but it is the new function of the sd card with kitkat. i haven't had an issue with any other music, pics, or books on my sd card.

i seem to be in the minority and don't like the all white notification icons.....not a big huge deal, i'm just not a fan.

haven't noticed any huge bump in speed or battery life, or any negative actions of such....so meh....once again an update everyone holds their breath for, but really doesn't bring any amazing changes.....my opinion so far.

I am in agreeance. (Is that a real word?)
I liked my old green battery icon but no big deal.
If I didn't know I had done the update, I think the way the phone is operating I would be suspicious of something being different, but that's about all!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I completely regret getting the update. It has ruined my experience. I didn't start experiencing issues until a week or 2 after I did the update. My data loses connection, even though I have full bars, then I have to either restart my phone or turn on airplane mode and then turn it off to reset data, doing this several times a day gets very old, and my battery life has been cut in half. Android OS and Android system eat up my battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I completely regret getting the update. It has ruined my experience. I didn't start experiencing issues until a week or 2 after I did the update. My data loses connection, even though I have full bars, then I have to either restart my phone or turn on airplane mode and then turn it off to reset data, doing this several times a day gets very old, and my battery life has been cut in half. Android OS and Android system eat up my battery.

A week or two? The update has only been out for like a week, hasn't it? There may be some information you are leaving out. Is your phone rooted? If so, that doesn't apply here. You are on Verizon, correct? If not, that doesn't apply as well as this is a Verizon forum and all updates, although they should be similar, are not equal.

atrain311qes109

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
No regrets whatsoever, but also not overly impressed. Feels pretty much the same to me...BUT that's probably not a bad thing as the phone was awesome on JB.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No regrets simply due to not having a choice. Probably as anticlimactic update as there has ever been.
I came from a M7 and Nexus7 both with KK, I was already aware that there would be little noticeable difference.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Same with me.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I got the update via the samsung upgrade assistant and I've had no problems, battery life is the same if not better I had 4 annoying bugs on 4.3 that are ALL fixed, I noticed the signal meter is showing one or two less bars then before but it has not affected my data speeds...

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn