Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock Galaxy Note 3 Phones Only: Any Regrets after Upgrading to KitKat, or are you glad you did?

I have a Stock Verizon Note 3, and because it is running so well, I am reluctant to accept the OTA Update that I'm being nagged about. I don't care about root, flashing, etc., so would like to restrict this thread to stock phones only.

I consistently get 3-4 hours of Screen Time, with anywhere from 15 to 30% battery left by the end of the day. Call quality is fine, responsiveness is excellent, WiFi great, with only the very rare notification about it being unstable. Basically I don't have to worry/think about it - it just works.

I've been monitoring threads here and at XDA, and while I understand that forums will select for those with problems, vs those that don't, I'm concerned that my battery performance will get worse, lagginess will result, etc., as there are multiple reports about that and other things. I'm not worried about the SD Card issue, as I understand that is an App-based issue that developers can work around if they chose.

**So, for those who have accepted the OTA Update to KitKat - are you happy that you did, or would you turn back the clock and not accept it if you had a choice? I would really like to hear from both sides of this - those with problems, and those without. And if you're unhappy, what are the specific issue(s) that have arisen?**

Thanks.

(And as a side-issue, if anyone knows a way to, without root, stop the nagging notifications to Update, that would be great. I've searched extensively, and have not found a solution. Disabling Google Services Framework Notifications only worked temporarily.)
    Thanked by:
    maxnicks and shortwave8669 like this.

Default re: Stock Galaxy Note 3 Phones Only: Any Regrets after Upgrading to KitKat, or are you glad you did?

None now that I reset my note. Apps and all seem vibrant and new.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Default re: Stock Galaxy Note 3 Phones Only: Any Regrets after Upgrading to KitKat, or are you glad you did?

Because of that annoying KitKat update "pop up" (I couldn't take it anymore), I decided to update last night, so far so good with the exception of the font change on the lock screen (can't change it), it's not really as disappointing as I thought it would be. Not sure about the battery as it's to early to tell the difference good or bad. Overall everything seems to be quicker, I like the idea of the white battery indicator on the notification bar and other little enhancements the new KitKat brings, but I'm not sure this update warrented a new OS name change. I will definetly be monitoring my Note3 closely in the days to come as with any new OS update on any device. YES, I'm glad I finally updated. So far I haven't had any of the problems with the KitKat update that I have read about and I hope the problems remain dormant.
    shortwave8669 likes this.

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLCPhototography View Post
    I have a Stock Verizon Note 3, and because it is running so well, I am reluctant to accept the OTA Update that I'm being nagged about. I don't care about root, flashing, etc., so would like to restrict this thread to stock phones only.

I consistently get 3-4 hours of Screen Time, with anywhere from 15 to 30% battery left by the end of the day. Call quality is fine, responsiveness is excellent, WiFi great, with only the very rare notification about it being unstable. Basically I don't have to worry/think about it - it just works.

I've been monitoring threads here and at XDA, and while I understand that forums will select for those with problems, vs those that don't, I'm concerned that my battery performance will get worse, lagginess will result, etc., as there are multiple reports about that and other things. I'm not worried about the SD Card issue, as I understand that is an App-based issue that developers can work around if they chose.

**So, for those who have accepted the OTA Update to KitKat - are you happy that you did, or would you turn back the clock and not accept it if you had a choice? I would really like to hear from both sides of this - those with problems, and those without. And if you're unhappy, what are the specific issue(s) that have arisen?**

Thanks.

(And as a side-issue, if anyone knows a way to, without root, stop the nagging notifications to Update, that would be great. I've searched extensively, and have not found a solution. Disabling Google Services Framework Notifications only worked temporarily.)
    I've really not had major issues. There isn't much difference honestly. As far as battery if anything my battery life seems better now but also I'm using battery doctor which really helps.

sent from my Note 3
    Thanked by:

No issues here. Seems to run a little faster. Other than that, everything works, with the exception of certain apps and sd card, but there are other similar apps that can be used

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I appreciate all the replies so far. Sounds encouraging. I was hoping that in general the update created few problems, and that those who did have problems might have some particular apps, settings tweaks, or other idiosyncrasies that unfortunately left them with poorer functioning phones.

Additional input, good and bad, still welcome.
    TheSickAndTwisted

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS 4 (forever)

Quote Originally Posted by jgraves1107 View Post
    None now that I reset my note. Apps and all seem vibrant and new.

Every time you do a factory reset and then DO NOT let google restore your phone for you typically you find your phone feels brand new. This is because we download little things we use 2 or three times and then don't fully delete those types of things and they begin to pile up. Little here little there... you should try a full restore, delete all the data everywhere on the phone. Put all your pictures and stuff on the external, not the music, rechoose that selectively as well, then boot into the STOCK recovery, and do a wipe on the data, a factory reset, and anything else you can wipe. It will be absolutely brand new after that. Will result in a crazy snappy phone comparatively.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

I need to do a factory reset but Kitkat has been terrible thus far. Crash/reboot at least once per day, closes apps and refuses to open some at other random times. I need to do a forum search on how to backup my phone so that I can save my data, but this has been pretty bad so far.
    Thanked by:
    Lee Hagan likes this.

I have been on KitKat 2 days now and have had no problems, in fact I think I like it!
    Seems a bit faster, battery life is better. I was able to restore the screen saver font.
    I have actually found No problems and I was expecting some. At this point I would not go back to Jelly Bean 4.3! What a surprise, Huh! !!!!!!!!
    So far, So good! !!!!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"
    Thanked by:
    Spencerdl likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by tomksae View Post
    I need to do a factory reset but Kitkat has been terrible thus far. Crash/reboot at least once per day, closes apps and refuses to open some at other random times. I need to do a forum search on how to backup my phone so that I can save my data, but this has been pretty bad so far.
    Yours is the first major negative experience so far in this thread.

Can you identify anything unusual in your situation, such as having previously rooted your device, flashed other ROMs, disabled or frozen a significant number of Verizon 'bloatware' or other system apps, 3rd Party Launcher or other system-wide apps, enabled unusual Developer settings, or anything that would make your device somewhat out of the 'mainstream'?

Thanks for your report.

Quote Originally Posted by tomksae View Post
    Helium can backup app and app data sd card. Easebackup to backup data like call logs and sms. On KitKat, easebackup won't backup to sd card but you can use the cloud.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

i haven't run into really any issues.....i use officesuite pro and have all of my docs on sd card. after the update i cannot save docs unless i save them to internal and then move them to the sd card. irritating but it is the new function of the sd card with kitkat. i haven't had an issue with any other music, pics, or books on my sd card.

i seem to be in the minority and don't like the all white notification icons.....not a big huge deal, i'm just not a fan.

haven't noticed any huge bump in speed or battery life, or any negative actions of such....so meh....once again an update everyone holds their breath for, but really doesn't bring any amazing changes.....my opinion so far.
    Thanked by:
    Spencerdl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    i haven't run into really any issues.....i use officesuite pro and have all of my docs on sd card. after the update i cannot save docs unless i save them to internal and then move them to the sd card. irritating but it is the new function of the sd card with kitkat. i haven't had an issue with any other music, pics, or books on my sd card.

i seem to be in the minority and don't like the all white notification icons.....not a big huge deal, i'm just not a fan.

haven't noticed any huge bump in speed or battery life, or any negative actions of such....so meh....once again an update everyone holds their breath for, but really doesn't bring any amazing changes.....my opinion so far.
    I am in agreeance. (Is that a real word?)
    I liked my old green battery icon but no big deal.
    If I didn't know I had done the update, I think the way the phone is operating I would be suspicious of something being different, but that's about all!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"
    Spencerdl likes this.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

I completely regret getting the update. It has ruined my experience. I didn't start experiencing issues until a week or 2 after I did the update. My data loses connection, even though I have full bars, then I have to either restart my phone or turn on airplane mode and then turn it off to reset data, doing this several times a day gets very old, and my battery life has been cut in half. Android OS and Android system eat up my battery.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:
    Lee Hagan likes this.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by mspace81 View Post
    I completely regret getting the update. It has ruined my experience. I didn't start experiencing issues until a week or 2 after I did the update. My data loses connection, even though I have full bars, then I have to either restart my phone or turn on airplane mode and then turn it off to reset data, doing this several times a day gets very old, and my battery life has been cut in half. Android OS and Android system eat up my battery.

A week or two? The update has only been out for like a week, hasn't it? There may be some information you are leaving out. Is your phone rooted? If so, that doesn't apply here. You are on Verizon, correct? If not, that doesn't apply as well as this is a Verizon forum and all updates, although they should be similar, are not equal.
    Thanked by:
    Spencerdl likes this.

No regrets whatsoever, but also not overly impressed. Feels pretty much the same to me...BUT that's probably not a bad thing as the phone was awesome on JB.

No regrets simply due to not having a choice. Probably as anticlimactic update as there has ever been.
    I came from a M7 and Nexus7 both with KK, I was already aware that there would be little noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mspace81 View Post

Same with me.
    Phones: Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock) --> Note 4 (stock)
    Tablets: Tab 10.1 --> Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
    Watches: Pebble (original) --> Moto 360
    Lee Hagan likes this.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.9

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Same with me.
    Third. I hate what the update has done to this phone as far as signal strength and battery life. Going to try a factory reset over the weekend.
    Lee Hagan likes this.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

I got the update via the samsung upgrade assistant and I've had no problems, battery life is the same if not better I had 4 annoying bugs on 4.3 that are ALL fixed, I noticed the signal meter is showing one or two less bars then before but it has not affected my data speeds...

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    A week or two? The update has only been out for like a week, hasn't it? There may be some information you are leaving out. Is your phone rooted? If so, that doesn't apply here. You are on Verizon, correct? If not, that doesn't apply as well as this is a Verizon forum and all updates, although they should be similar, are not equal.
    My note 3 is with T-Mobile, sorry I left that out lol. I know others who are with different carriers and different devices experiencing the same issues.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I appreciate all the feedback so far. Not surprisingly, the experience has been mixed.

The report from mspace81, because it's a T-Mobile phone, isn't directly relevant, but useful to note.

As for the others (tomskae, tabguy, Diabl0), could you address the following that I asked in a prior post:

Can you identify anything unusual in your situation, such as having previously rooted your device, flashed other ROMs, disabled or frozen a significant number of Verizon 'bloatware' or other system apps, 3rd Party Launcher or other system-wide apps, enabled unusual Developer settings, or anything that would make your device somewhat out of the 'mainstream'?

Thanks.

I can't tell much difference so I am glad it went well. The phone was great before the update, and I was afraid a problem would show up after the update. The only problem I had was my 3rd party SMS app called Handcent SMS. After I followed the directions and made it my default SMS, it worked as well as always, maybe a little faster. I am glad to have the update done, I know it is more compatible with newer apps now and I can breath easy. (Foxfi still works too.) Take this review X2 since I updated my girlfriends Note 3 also with no problems at all.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.9

Quote Originally Posted by DLCPhototography View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback so far. Not surprisingly, the experience has been mixed.

The report from mspace81, because it's a T-Mobile phone, isn't directly relevant, but useful to note.

As for the others (tomskae, tabguy, Diabl0), could you address the following that I asked in a prior post:

Thanks.
    None of that for me. Phone is 100% stock.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Diabl0 View Post
    None of that for me. Phone is 100% stock.
    Interesting, and also worrisome.

Do you have Light Flow installed? Some users have identified this as a possible source for problems. Any other clue on why your phone got messed up while others have no problems?

Still interested in other reports, and responses from tomskae and tabguy on their particular phones' configurations.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast