Crappy signal at home

TimThompson05

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I work in a LTE area and get pretty good coverage, but when I go home, my Note 3 on 4.4 gets maybe one bar of 3G or 1X if that. It's usually no signal what so ever. It has the circle with a cross through it. I used to get decent 3G or even LTE. I've already changed the Sim card a couple of times. I talked to Samsung and started getting somewhere then they said their system was down and to try again later. Any ideas to why this is happening. I know I'm not the only one having this problem.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I work in a LTE area and get pretty good coverage, but when I go home, my Note 3 on 4.4 gets maybe one bar of 3G or 1X if that. It's usually no signal what so ever. It has the circle with a cross through it. I used to get decent 3G or even LTE. I've already changed the Sim card a couple of times. I talked to Samsung and started getting somewhere then they said their system was down and to try again later. Any ideas to why this is happening. I know I'm not the only one having this problem.

Welcome to Android Central!

When you say used to get decent 3G or even LTE, do you mean with the Note 3 or with prior devices? Because a device can have an effect on coverage - good or bad - that may not be what you are used to.

To start, I would suggest making sure the device is fully updated. Start there and see if there is any improvement.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Contact Verizon for troubleshooting. From what you are saying, they would probably make sure that you have the latest update, make sure that you are in the coverage map, make you do a factory data reset, and then they should send you a replacement phone

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

TimThompson05

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

When you say used to get decent 3G or even LTE, do you mean with the Note 3 or with prior devices? Because a device can have an effect on coverage - good or bad - that may not be what you are used to.

To start, I would suggest making sure the device is fully updated. Start there and see if there is any improvement.

Yes on the Note 3. All apps are updated. I can tell a slight difference from my previous phone but the signal on the Note has changed since then.

TimThompson05

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Contact Verizon for troubleshooting. From what you are saying, they would probably make sure that you have the latest update, make sure that you are in the coverage map, make you do a factory data reset, and then they should send you a replacement phone

My wife gets a good signal on her RAZR Maxx at home while I can be right beside her and have nothing. I just did a factory reset yesterday. And I bought the phone outright to avoid losing unlimited data and I don't have insurance. I will call troubleshooting soon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully you will get it sorted out. Sounds like a defective phone

brian181

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem on my note 3, around a month ago. Had periods of weak 3g and no-service. Data up/down speeds at, or below, 1mb (using speedtest). Spent a couple weeks with tech support: resetting, sim-replacing, waiting. they eventually sent me a replacement phone...problem solved. Would call tech support and to through their process. should eventually reach the point of them sending a replacement.

TimThompson05

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
That's another thing. I don't have high speed Internet at home. We live in the sticks. Anyone know how long it would take to get a replacement from Samsung?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's another thing. I don't have high speed Internet at home. We live in the sticks. Anyone know how long it would take to get a replacement from Samsung?

I can get a replacement next day from Verizon free because I have TEC. If you don't have TEC, you can still get it next day but it might cost. I think free is 3-5 days

TimThompson05

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I can get a replacement next day from Verizon free because I have TEC. If you don't have TEC, you can still get it next day but it might cost. I think free is 3-5 days

Yeah. I bought my Note 3 outright without a contract to avoid losing unlimited. I didn't get insurance either. So yeah. Lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I bought my Note 3 outright without a contract to avoid losing unlimited. I didn't get insurance either. So yeah. Lol

That's fine. It is still under warranty and Verizon will replace it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? But will they give me a new one or a refurbished one?

If you are within the return period (14 days for verizon, 90 days for Costco) then you can get a new replacement within the return period. Note that regardless of return period, the contract is locked after 14 days

After the return period, you would get a certified like new replacement

TimThompson05

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Note since mid October with no contact. I'll try and see if I can get a replacement because I don't see anything I can do to fix it myself. Thanks for the help.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My wife gets a good signal on her RAZR Maxx at home while I can be right beside her and have nothing. I just did a factory reset yesterday. And I bought the phone outright to avoid losing unlimited data and I don't have insurance. I will call troubleshooting soon.

Go to Verizon and get insurance on the phone before you do any troubleshooting. They can give you the insurance for a phone your bring to them.

Oh just finished reading and saw you are still in Warranty, so that isn't an issue. I have had several refurb phones, SEVERAL, because of signal issues in my are, with AT&T. While they were working on the signal issue, they kept sending me to the Warranty Center to trade out the phone, to make sure it wasn't the phone. I was even doing some Beta testing for Facebook and having a problem with a lot of RAM being used by Facebook and got the Warranty Center to trade out that phone to make sure it wasn't a problem with my phone, causing that. Long story short, my old Note 2 was traded in a lot, but never had an issue with the refurbs, it was only traded in to rule out issues with the phone, when there were network and Facebook issues. Samsung goes through the refurbs and completely "makes them over" so you shouldn't have a problem at all with it being a refurb and you still have the same time left on your warranty.

DRILLINDK

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I've had my sim card replaced which didn't change anything. I contacted VW customer service today who started a ticket to evaluate the signal strength in my area (BOTH at home & work). I assuming its just the buildings I'm in. VW Rep stated they wouldn't offer a discount or free range extender since I'm on a corporate discounted plan. Little upset, since I've been a VW customer for over 13 years, have over a $275 bill every month. I'll wait to hear back on the network signal strength and go from there. I'm more concerned about cell phone signal strength than 4G as I log into my wifi networks at work and home. Coworker received a free range extender for her Sprint service and coworkers who have AT&T have great signal strength. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
been having similar problems , but I've been posting in the thread that's just below this (4G not staying connected). One dude from Verizon was about to send me a replacement, and I said let me think about it (i didn't know if I just wanted to buy a new phone (M8). Now they're telling me it's normal for my signal to jump from 3G and 4G...

yea, whatever guys

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been working fine. I have had only a rare dropped call, although I was worried that I was only seeing 1 or 2 bars of signal strength at most while at home. Most of the time that was 3G. I took my phone to the Verizon corporate store where the reception was stronger and where I was now getting 3 bars of 4G. I went into settings, networks, and compared the signal reception on my phone with that of the demonstration Note 3 that was on display. There was almost no difference in the two phones. I felt reassured that there wasn't anything wrong with my phone. Now I seldom check the signal strength as long as I am not dropping calls.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie